Exetel Staff

Re: APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am

Here is the Mobile FAQ:
http://www.exetel.com.au/mobile_faq.php

Here is the section on APN config entitled 'Configuring the APN':

What is an APN?
The APN stands for Access Point Name.
It is a configurable network identifier required by a mobile device when connecting to a GSM network.
It is required for data transmission.

What are the APN’s that Exetel use?
The APN’s that Exetel use are different depending on the handset and network.
For handsets (but not iPhones) being used on the Exetel (via Optus) network, the APN is ‘INTERNET’ or ‘OPTUSWAP’.
For iPhones being used on the Exetel (via Optus) network, the APN is ‘YesINTERNET’
For handsets being used on the Exetel (via Vodafone) network, the APN is ‘VFINTERNET.AU’

craigah

Post by craigah » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am

Hello,
for my HTC desire HD, for internet:

Name: Optus internet
APN: YesINTERNET
APN type: default

For MMS, the APN type: mms

and that seems to work.

Craig

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am

Do not use 'YesInternet' - that is for iPhones.

HTC's use the APN INTERNET.

If you continue to use 'YesInternet' - you run the risk of having very HIGH data charges.
These will be payable in addition to any data allowance.

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am

Peety wrote:can someone post the apn settings for me, ive got it set to what i could find for the Yesinternet settings but by the look of it im being charged for using it so i guess ive got the wrong settings...
my current settings for HTC Desire YESInternet APN:
name: Optus Yes Internet
APN: yesinternet
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MMC: 505
MNC: 02
Authentication Type: PAP
APN Type :not set (i had it set as something before but could not connect to the internet with anything entered, thus it being not set..)

anyone know if these settings are right? or what am i doing wrong..

Cheers guys
Ok since your phone is a HTC please use

OPTUSWAP

or

INTERNET

The APN that you have set up is to be used only on an iPhone.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

DLeung

Post by DLeung » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 am

I have a Huawei U8150 Andriod phone. When setting the APN - INTERNET for my Mobile (Optus) V9 plan, I was prompted to set MMS, MMC etc...

The below is for iphone as others has advised. Could I use the same for my Huawei? If not, what's should be the correct value?

can someone post the apn settings for me, ive got it set to what i could find for the Yesinternet settings but by the look of it im being charged for using it so i guess ive got the wrong settings...
my current settings for HTC Desire YESInternet APN:
name: Optus Yes Internet
APN: yesinternet
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MMC: 505
MNC: 02
Authentication Type: PAP
APN Type :not set (i had it set as something before but could not connect to the internet with anything entered, thus it being not set..)

anyone know if these settings are right? or what am i doing wrong..

Cheers guys

Ok since your phone is a HTC please use

OPTUSWAP

or

INTERNET

The APN that you have set up is to be used only on an iPhone.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm

I have a Huawei U8150 Andriod phone. When setting the APN - INTERNET for my Mobile (Optus) V9 plan, I was prompted to set MMS, MMC etc...

The below is for iphone as others has advised. Could I use the same for my Huawei? If not, what's should be the correct value?
Use the APN INTERNET for Android phones.

(OPTUSWAP is only for 2G)

johnny2times

Post by johnny2times » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Just activated my z39 plan for an iPhone 3gs running 4.3.5 and can't seem to find a way to check whether the correct APN is assigned. After inserting the new SIM I reset the Network Settings on the phone and all appears to be working correctly (calls, SMS/MMS etc), but just want to make sure I am connecting to the correct APN and avoid the risk of incurring huge data charges mentioned. How is this done witout JailBreaking the phone?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 pm

johnny2times wrote:Just activated my z39 plan for an iPhone 3gs running 4.3.5 and can't seem to find a way to check whether the correct APN is assigned. After inserting the new SIM I reset the Network Settings on the phone and all appears to be working correctly (calls, SMS/MMS etc), but just want to make sure I am connecting to the correct APN and avoid the risk of incurring huge data charges mentioned. How is this done witout JailBreaking the phone?
if you have reset the network settings it will only load the correct APN for use with the iPhone

johnny2times

Post by johnny2times » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:31 pm

if you have reset the network settings it will only load the correct APN for use with the iPhone
Great! Thanks for getting responding so quickly.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am

Just activated my z39 plan for an iPhone 3gs running 4.3.5 and can't seem to find a way to check whether the correct APN is assigned. After inserting the new SIM I reset the Network Settings on the phone and all appears to be working correctly (calls, SMS/MMS etc), but just want to make sure I am connecting to the correct APN and avoid the risk of incurring huge data charges mentioned. How is this done witout JailBreaking the phone?
The APN should be YESINTERNET for iPhones on the mobile Z plans. You should check this.
Anything else and you will be paying high data charges.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:20 am

ExetelVoice wrote:
The APN should be YESINTERNET for iPhones on the mobile Z plans. You should check this.
the information in the APN field is not viewable when using an iPhone with an Optus SIM card, the ability to see this information or not is decided by the carrier whose SIM you are using, resetting the network settings will always load the default carrier profile for any SIM which has a carrier profile associated (any provider that has supplied the iPhone has their own carrier profile)

johnny2times

Post by johnny2times » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 am

jokiin wrote:
ExetelVoice wrote:
the information in the APN field is not viewable when using an iPhone with an Optus SIM card, the ability to see this information or not is decided by the carrier whose SIM you are using, resetting the network settings will always load the default carrier profile for any SIM which has a carrier profile associated (any provider that has supplied the iPhone has their own carrier profile)

Now I'm getting a bit confused - jokiin is right - there is no way to easily check APN on a iPhone.

Exetel, can you once and for all confirm the APN set by Optus for those of us on a Z plan using an unbroken iPhone? If the setting is not correct, you cannot charge customers for any costs incurred when it is not physically possible to change the setting. If it is possible to change the APN without having to hack the Phone then please provide details, because I've looked around and can't find anything that doesn't involve JailBreaking it.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 am

johnny2times wrote:
jokiin wrote:
ExetelVoice wrote:

Now I'm getting a bit confused - jokiin is right - there is no way to easily check APN on a iPhone.

Exetel, can you once and for all confirm the APN set by Optus for those of us on a Z plan using an unbroken iPhone? If the setting is not correct, you cannot charge customers for any costs incurred when it is not physically possible to change the setting. If it is possible to change the APN without having to hack the Phone then please provide details, because I've looked around and can't find anything that doesn't involve JailBreaking it.
it is possible to change the APN without jailbreaking the phone, the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple allows you to create custom APN's, it's not possible to view the APN without jailbreaking it though

I agree the instructions around this need to be made clearer

OverIT

Post by OverIT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:47 pm

There is obviously confusion around the correct APN to use for access to the Data networks.

My settings arrived via SMS some days after the service was activated. In the interim I may have been using the incorrect APN. I don't think I've been charged any extra. It's difficult to tell from the sparse information I've been provided about my charges.

If I were to assume that no-one would deliberately use an APN that would have them pay data charges while NOT using an APN that gives them access to included data, would it be possible for Exetel to note those customers using the "confused" APN and telling them the correct APN to use?

Example: SMS arrives on customers phone - "Exetel has noticed that you are using an APN on your {phone type} that will result in excess data charges. We recommend you change to {X}, contact Exetel support or use the correct APN that will be sent to you shortly via SMS."

Exetel: Great product, good support staff, disappointing billing information, confusing setup information

( I get emails about my Modem. I don't have a modem, I have a Mobile service. Apparently Exetel is happy to send out confusing emails to customers and then follow-up with another email saying "It's OK. We send the same confusing emails to customers with Mobiles and modems. If that's effective, it's not my place to interfere in Exetel's business model. I'm only a customer looking for clarity in the service I'm being provided).

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 am

OverIT wrote:There is obviously confusion around the correct APN to use for access to the Data networks.

My settings arrived via SMS some days after the service was activated. In the interim I may have been using the incorrect APN. I don't think I've been charged any extra. It's difficult to tell from the sparse information I've been provided about my charges.

If I were to assume that no-one would deliberately use an APN that would have them pay data charges while NOT using an APN that gives them access to included data, would it be possible for Exetel to note those customers using the "confused" APN and telling them the correct APN to use?

Example: SMS arrives on customers phone - "Exetel has noticed that you are using an APN on your {phone type} that will result in excess data charges. We recommend you change to {X}, contact Exetel support or use the correct APN that will be sent to you shortly via SMS."

Exetel: Great product, good support staff, disappointing billing information, confusing setup information

( I get emails about my Modem. I don't have a modem, I have a Mobile service. Apparently Exetel is happy to send out confusing emails to customers and then follow-up with another email saying "It's OK. We send the same confusing emails to customers with Mobiles and modems. If that's effective, it's not my place to interfere in Exetel's business model. I'm only a customer looking for clarity in the service I'm being provided).
The configuration SMS are sent to you by our wholesale supplier, however we will investigate and post here.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal