Page 1 of 1

Configuration Message Received

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 pm
by calljennycraig
Hi,
I recently received a couple of SMS messages regarding handset settings. I had recently activated a CAP mobile plan.

The first was from "6357" saying " You will shortly receive handset settings for data Services(s) pls save/activate these settings. Please contact your Service Provider for more details"

The second was from from "Service provider" saying

Select 'save' from 'Options' to configure all settings.
Access Points:
MMS
INTERNET
OptusZoo WAP
YESINTERNET

Bookmarks:
YESINTERNET
OptusZoo WAP
INTERNET

Multim. access pts.:
MMS

Web Settings:
OptusZoo WAP

-------------------------

I have not saved these settings yet. They appear to be legitimate, just they came from "6357" and "Service Provider" which seemed a bit suspect to me. There was no reference to Exetel, maybe they came from Optus?.

Have others signing up to a cap plan received the same SMS messages and saved them? Was everything Ok?

It may be a stupid question but, can you get a virus from an SMS?

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 am
by Ravenous
Yes I had received the message and I had accepted after deleting all existing APNs as my phone was a tangle of APNs. No malice in doing so, however it may change a couple of your default settings which you may want to change back. No malice in ignoring it, so long as your access points are set as per advice here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37682&start=0
calljennycraig wrote:It may be a stupid question but, can you get a virus from an SMS?
There are the very rare occasions of messages that phish for a reply to sign you up to an expensive Premium SMS Service w/o consent. Not sure about a virus.

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 am
by Stickler
Hi,

I too received the messages. Does Exetel recommend we save the settings? Is there any advantage in doing so?

Cheers, Nick

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:02 pm
by Stickler
Hi again,

Just a quick yes or no from soemone at Extel will suffice. I rarely use my phone for internet and don't anything about the settings etc.

Cheers,
Nick

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm
by thejeg
calljennycraig wrote:Hi,
I recently received a couple of SMS messages regarding handset settings. I had recently activated a CAP mobile plan.

The first was from "6357" saying " You will shortly receive handset settings for data Services(s) pls save/activate these settings. Please contact your Service Provider for more details"

The second was from from "Service provider" saying

Select 'save' from 'Options' to configure all settings.
Access Points:
MMS
INTERNET
OptusZoo WAP
YESINTERNET

Bookmarks:
YESINTERNET
OptusZoo WAP
INTERNET

Multim. access pts.:
MMS

Web Settings:
OptusZoo WAP

-------------------------

I have not saved these settings yet. They appear to be legitimate, just they came from "6357" and "Service Provider" which seemed a bit suspect to me. There was no reference to Exetel, maybe they came from Optus?.

Have others signing up to a cap plan received the same SMS messages and saved them? Was everything Ok?

It may be a stupid question but, can you get a virus from an SMS?
You may save the settings as the settings listed above are correct.

Regards,
Theje :wink:

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm
by Stickler
thanks!

No Worries... ;)

Re: Configuration Message Received

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm
by calljennycraig
thejeg wrote: You may save the settings as the settings listed above are correct.

Regards,
Theje :wink:
Thanks for the feedback