Optus per minute plans question

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
bulletmark

Re: Optus per minute plans question

Post by bulletmark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am

mart wrote:We need to watch our big B and little b
Mart, the bits/bytes confusion only arises when people are discussing data speed (bytes/bits per second), not total data (bytes). E.g. when talking about download speed people may describe it as 1 MB/s or 1000 Mbps or even 1000 Mb/s. I agree that is an endless source of confusion on the net when people mix up their "B" and "b"'s in discussions about adsl sync rates, download speeds, etc. However, when talking about the data alone then people only measure and quote that in bytes, not bits. So 5 MB, or 5 Mb or 5 mb read the same actually (although I am always careful myself to quote data as MB alone because I like to be consistent, see my earlier post). But really there is little confusion when talking about data.

As I quoted above, the Optus charge rate on data for the per min plans is 24c per MB. The Vodafone charge rate for the per min plans is 4 to 7c per MB. That is bytes not bits. Yes, the Optus plan rate is obscene (exactly as I said earlier).

mart

Post by mart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 am

bulletmark wrote:However, when talking about the data alone then people only measure and quote that in bytes, not bits. So 5 MB, or 5 Mb or 5 mb read the same actually .
Thanks bulletmark, I didn't know that :oops:
bulletmark wrote:As I quoted above, the Optus charge rate on data for the per min plans is 24c per MB. The Vodafone charge rate for the per min plans is 4 to 7c per MB. That is bytes not bits.
Makes sense to me now I know its all bytes.
bulletmark wrote:Yes, the Optus plan rate is obscene (exactly as I said earlier).
+1

tycannah

Post by tycannah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:50 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
I don't understand what is going to happen after March 31st. Are going to be able to sit on our existing Vodafone-provided plans forever?
We are not going to do anything on March 31st. You can stay on the Exetel (via Vodafone network) plans for as long as you wish.
Having said that, our preferred mobile supplier is now Optus, so we will be running campaigns to encourage customers to move over.
Are you speaking for Exetel?? If so then this appears to be an incorrect statement based on my own email from exetel concerning my Mobile 1 plan which to paraphrase the email says your choices are;
1. Find another service provider
2. Pay $5 per month more for the Vodaphone plan (i.e. MUST now pay for a mobile 2 plan) or
3 Move to Optus plan.

Looks to me like Exetel are going to do PLENTY after the 31St March. Certainly affects my back pocket.
Is Exetel going to Kill Mobile 1 plan or not???????

karLos

Post by karLos » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:30 am

i guess that's it then, they're starting to force us onto the more expensive optus plans. wish they wouldn't lie about not doing it... but then again, the 'upgrade' offer emails were full of inaccuracies so it shouldn't be a big surprise.

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm

another email, what is that 5 now?

still exetel aren't getting the details correct about the older vodafone plans and still claiming the optus plans are cheaper. why?

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm

looking at my old invoices, it doesn't look like i've paid 22c for an sms since march or april 2008.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 am

Hopefully this will help.

While we admit the exetel Mobile 1 plan (via the Vodafone network) has been very good value, the situation with our new supplier is that we are constrained by their wholesale plans.

Exetel are just not in a commercially viable position to maintain a $0.00 monthly spend plan with the Optus supply of service.

We also know the situation with the data rate on Optus supply is considerably higher than the data rates on the Exetel via vodafone plans.
This is something we have been negotiating with Optus and should be able to provide a better data rate in the near future.
There will be data bolt-on plans to accomodate soon. Presently we are just finalising this with Optus.

4 emails were sent at the start of the month, 3 of which are encouraging Mobile 1 customers to move to a new Optus supplied Exetel mobile plan.

1. Those spending considtently $0.00 per month (these will be cancelled if not ported away beforehand)
2. Those spending consitently less than $2 per month (these will be moved to Mobile 2 plan at $5.00 per month minimum)
3. Those spending consistently between $2 and $10 per month (encouraged to move to a new Optus supplied per minute plan or CAP plan)
4. Those spending consistently over $10 per month (encouraged to move to a new Optus supplied CAP plan)

Customers falling into category 1 and 2 above are simply costing Exetel more than it is to provide the service.
Customers falling into 3 and 4 above we feel we can cater for on a new Optus supplied service. The lower spenders in category 3 are also costing us more than we can provide.
However we are showing some lenience as customers (across the category board) are at least spending roughly the same as what it costs us. Give or take.
The situation is we need to move all customer services from the Vodafone supplied service to the Optus supplied service at some point anyway.
While we would like to maintain as many of our Vodafone supplied customers as possible, we also realise we may lose some customers because the Optus plans don't suit their needs

karLos

Post by karLos » Sun May 01, 2011 12:00 pm

have finally received the optus email.

on this order form:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/mobil ... r_form.php

it states # next to the data allowance, but provides no explanation as to the meaning of #.

could someone please explain what is meant by #.

thanks

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 am

karLos wrote:have finally received the optus email.

on this order form:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/mobil ... r_form.php

it states # next to the data allowance, but provides no explanation as to the meaning of #.

could someone please explain what is meant by #.

thanks
# is clearly explained under the plan details.... it is to cover the following conditions.

PRO RATA in the 1st part month usage allowance examples

(Example 1) calculation of pro rata usage allowance using an example $10 monthly access, example 1000 MB of monthly access & example 30 days of a month, and if you are connected on the 15th day.

1000 MB divided by 30 days times by 15 days remaining equals 500 MB

1000 / 30 x 15 = 500

This means in this first example, you'd have 500 MB (megabytes of usage) for the remainder of the month, and any use after this is charged by the excess usage rate.

(Example 2) calculation of pro rata usage allowance using an example $10 monthly access, example 1000 MB of monthly access & example 30 days of a month, and if you are connected on the 21st day.

1000 MB divided by 30 days times by 9 days remaining equals 300 MB

1000 / 30 x 9 = 300

This means in this second example, you'd have 300 MB (megabytes of usage) for the remainder of the month, and any use after this is charged by the excess usage rate.

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm

oh, ok - that's cool. i didn't notice anything tying # to the pro-rata explanation...
thanks
:)

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 am

karLos wrote:oh, ok - that's cool. i didn't notice anything tying # to the pro-rata explanation...
thanks
:)
Now you know :)

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon May 09, 2011 1:25 pm

this new service has "Free Usage From Social Network" written in the usage section.

is this explained anywhere? i guess to word as a question, which social networks are included in this free usage? thanks

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm

is this explained anywhere? i guess to word as a question, which social networks are included in this free usage?
At the bottom of the plan pricing page there are 6 well-known social networking logos:
facebook, eBay, twitter, linked-in, foursquare, myspace - these all have unlmited data access
http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-mo ... -plans.php

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm

The free usage for those websites does not apply to the per minute plans:
Mobile A, B, C, XO and YO

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 pm

karLos wrote:this new service has "Free Usage From Social Network" written in the usage section.

is this explained anywhere? i guess to word as a question, which social networks are included in this free usage? thanks
Free usage for social networks are only made available for Cap plans and Super Cap plans. More info can be found here
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal