some questions please....including APNs

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
soaper

some questions please....including APNs

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am

got the email saying my usage is too low under the voda service and i need to change.
that is ok because i got the new smart phone and have been giving it a month or so on a $2 amasym SIM to try and see what my data use is before making a decision.
my actual phone use is as nothing.... as evidenced by my non use of the voda service.
it is a mobile intended always for calls in to me off my web page and for simply *emergency* calls of my own.

with the purchase of an android i have been using data but really no further calls.
in looking at the optus cap plans ...........which seem to be the only option if i want data........i will probably try the $19 cap and simply make a few calls to use some of the available credit up.
i was going to use MOIP but i think life is complex enough already :shock:

i guess my concern is the data use. have read too many stories of peoples phones sucking down data when reputedly they shouldnt be.
i have my phone tied down as tight as i can...... but because i am on a current prepaid with amasym... even if my phone *leaked* data then it would only leak to the extent of my cap. that wouldnt be the case with the exetel post paid plan as far as i can see

on my current voda plan i have set a limit for calls out so if i loose the phone or anything ........there is a stop to my liability.

question 1..........is there any way to limit costs on the current capped plans.?
question 2........my phone (garmin asus) is locked to optus and when i look at the available APN i have choices of
*optus internet (current setting)
*optus streaming
*optus zoo
*optus MMS

i dont know if those choices are because of amasym (optus reseller) SIM or if they are generic to the phone.

what would i choose as an APN for an exetel cap plan....it dosnt marry up with what i have read of APN choices ?
would i have a different list of choice with an exetel SIM??

thanks
Last edited by soaper on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samarium

Re: some questions please

Post by samarium » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

My solution is:

1. Configure apps that are likely to chew large amounts of data to only operate on Wifi, not 3G, ie google listen
1a. Turn off data access if you are getting too close to the CAP.

2. Monitor usage using some apps.
2a. I use Netcounter to alert me to excessive mobile data usage for daily/weekly/monthy.
2b. I use Callmeter 3G to model my CAP plan, which also monitors data.
2c. If I want to monitor specific app data use I install TrafficStats.
2d. There are other usage apps out there, these are just the ones I liked or found first.

3. Make sure you pick an appropriate CAP plan to start with, and maybe swap to a lower plan once you know you can keep within it.

I generally use about 200MB mobile data /month and want more available occassionally, and also use about 3000MB wifi data / month.

I have a CAP35 with the $15 ADSL discount, so only $20/month. 200MB is too close to the limit for CAP19 for CAP19 to be viable for me.

I tried to use MOIP for about a year, however Optus Network was too unreliable, so I finally gave up and swapped to a CAP plan.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 pm

samarium wrote:My solution is:

1. Configure apps that are likely to chew large amounts of data to only operate on Wifi, not 3G, ie google listen
1a. Turn off data access if you are getting too close to the CAP.

2. Monitor usage using some apps.
2a. I use Netcounter to alert me to excessive mobile data usage for daily/weekly/monthy.
2b. I use Callmeter 3G to model my CAP plan, which also monitors data.
2c. If I want to monitor specific app data use I install TrafficStats.
2d. There are other usage apps out there, these are just the ones I liked or found first.

3. Make sure you pick an appropriate CAP plan to start with, and maybe swap to a lower plan once you know you can keep within it.

I generally use about 200MB mobile data /month and want more available occassionally, and also use about 3000MB wifi data / month.

I have a CAP35 with the $15 ADSL discount, so only $20/month. 200MB is too close to the limit for CAP19 for CAP19 to be viable for me.

I tried to use MOIP for about a year, however Optus Network was too unreliable, so I finally gave up and swapped to a CAP plan.
i dont expect to use apps with heavy data needs .
but in the interests of my learning ......how would i do that configuring for wifi only ...........if it is not an toooooo long a reply needed :-)

i have downloaded the netcounter app and it looks fine
i was just concerned to see that it says that it dosnt allow the phone to sleep.
what does that really mean ?? i have turned the phone off at the top and it is *asleep* as i understand it and would only operate right now if someone called me.
does it mean that because it is counting data that it stops the phone from totally stopping???

however my question still goes back to whether there is, or is likely to be, any facility on this plan to have a stop put on use when a certain level of usage is reached.
i thought that was a great thing and even on the wifi modem it was there and cut off excess use til the account was paid.
i think that is brilliant because i think these phones must inherently be a cause of grief LOL.
the time i have spent with telstra on my sons gifted phone just fills me with :evil: :evil:
they have a truly mad online accounting system but they are working with me on it

i wont need a call meter i suspect but will see how i go with calls and maybe install it if i think i am going to reverse a lifetime of very light use of mobiles for nattering away. :)

i figured the amasym sim would be indicative of my usage but it hasnt because it literally charges me by the minute.
so really in terms of download it hasnt been enlightening
i will use the rest of this month before i switch to the optus account to see what the net counter suggests..... but i am sure that the 200 mb will be fine.
with the adsl discount there is no point of having the smaller $19 plan anyway as the end cost is the same.

thanks heaps for the help and suggestions 8)

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 pm

soaper wrote:question 2........my phone (garmin asus) is locked to optus and when i look at the available APN i have choices of
*optus internet (current setting)
*optus streaming
*optus zoo
*optus MMS
You should be able to create a new connection profile. I did this, calling it Exetel, and set the APN to yesINTERNET. You may need to be unlocked to do this. You need to be careful on the CAP plans because only a few APNs are allowed (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37682&start=0)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm

dbr wrote:
You should be able to create a new connection profile. I did this, calling it Exetel, and set the APN to yesINTERNET. You may need to be unlocked to do this. You need to be careful on the CAP plans because only a few APNs are allowed (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37682&start=0)
the phone allows for creation of a new access point.........all of which looks somewhat confusing !!
the phone is locked to Optus most definately which is why i figured it would not pose an issue with exetel.

thanks dbr. :)

i did look at that other thread thanks and when i read
"INTERNET
OPTUSWAP "

i figured that this might equal to what i have already being *optus internet*........which is why i wanted to check.

i guess i need someone in exetel to tell me about this.
it gets all too hard some days :roll:

since i know nothing about creating new APNs....except one i did for the wifi modem....... and there are heaps of lines for info in the phone that appear to want to be filled in ..........who or where do i get info on doing that from??
if in fact i need to create new

thanks

rm555

Post by rm555 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:01 am

soaper wrote: i did look at that other thread thanks and when i read
"INTERNET
OPTUSWAP "

i figured that this might equal to what i have already being *optus internet*........which is why i wanted to check.
I use CAP19 on a Huawei Ideos which is also an Android device and I use the pre-installed "Optus Internet" APN setting with no issue.

In Android's APN list, the actual APN value is below the APN name. Here's mine:

Optus Internet
internet

If it's "internet", "Internet" or "INTERNET" then you should be good to go. Yes, I tried all three. :)

soaper

Post by soaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 am

rm555 wrote:
I use the pre-installed "Optus Internet" APN setting with no issue.

In Android's APN list, the actual APN value is below the APN name. Here's mine:

Optus Internet
internet

If it's "internet", "Internet" or "INTERNET" then you should be good to go. Yes, I tried all three. :)
thank you. my brain is bleeding :oops:
ok
so "optusinternet" works for you.
i had no problem with the amasym sim......just put it in and it worked.
i dont recall doing anything at all with it except insert it

i have NO name that is simply the one word "internet"

oookkk.....if i press on the actual name of *optus internet* it brings up info that says............
APN........."yesinternet"
"default type......default,supl."

all other info and lines are bare

????

soaper

Re: some questions please....including APNs

Post by soaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

i am calling support about this so i can speak to a staff member as otherwise it is like walking in a fog !!!

soaper

Post by soaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am

ok
the very efficient and pleasant Hashini (?spelling) checked my phones info and said it will work on "optus internet/yesinternet"

will port when i use up my current data and calls

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 am

soaper wrote:i am calling support about this so i can speak to a staff member as otherwise it is like walking in a fog !!!
As far as I can see, you have no ACTIVE HSPA service under your name

Can you please PM me the details of your HSPA service?

I will have a look at what you are reporting.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am

soaper wrote: i dont expect to use apps with heavy data needs .
but in the interests of my learning ......how would i do that configuring for wifi only ...........if it is not an toooooo long a reply needed :-)
App specific configuration options.
soaper wrote: i have downloaded the netcounter app and it looks fine
i was just concerned to see that it says that it dosnt allow the phone to sleep.
what does that really mean ?? i have turned the phone off at the top and it is *asleep* as i understand it and would only operate right now if someone called me.
does it mean that because it is counting data that it stops the phone from totally stopping???
I haven't noticed any issues over the last 9 months. My understanding is that it regularly wakes up and sames the network interface byte counters and then adds these to it's internal database, so it would cause you phone to be more active than if it wasn't running. If you find you phone battery life seriously impacted, try some experiments with the same installed and not, or try another app.
soaper wrote: however my question still goes back to whether there is, or is likely to be, any facility on this plan to have a stop put on use when a certain level of usage is reached.
i thought that was a great thing and even on the wifi modem it was there and cut off excess use til the account was paid.
i think that is brilliant because i think these phones must inherently be a cause of grief LOL.
the time i have spent with telstra on my sons gifted phone just fills me with :evil: :evil:
they have a truly mad online accounting system but they are working with me on it
If you want a definitive answer open a ticket with Exetel. Pragmatically, the plan is structured in such a way that the operator makes lots of money when you exceed the quota. What is the operators incentive to make it hard for you to exceed the quota? Prepaid and the shoe is on the other foot, although the fine print may have surprises.
soaper wrote: i wont need a call meter i suspect but will see how i go with calls and maybe install it if i think i am going to reverse a lifetime of very light use of mobiles for nattering away. :)
I like CM3G because I can configure it to give me a total view or voice/sms/mms/data, and it also does monthly proportional and color coding. You can do widgets too if you want.
soaper wrote: i figured the amasym sim would be indicative of my usage but it hasnt because it literally charges me by the minute.
so really in terms of download it hasnt been enlightening
i will use the rest of this month before i switch to the optus account to see what the net counter suggests..... but i am sure that the 200 mb will be fine.
with the adsl discount there is no point of having the smaller $19 plan anyway as the end cost is the same.
Last I looked amaysim says their minimum charge is 1MB. Under what conditions you packet stream is repartitioned so that what to you is a smaller amount, and to amayaim is 1 or more lots of 1MB, I don't know. You would need to talk to them. Exetel/Optus would have their own thresholds and you would need to talk to them directly.

soaper

Post by soaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

App specific configuration options.
thanks samarium
I haven't noticed any issues over the last 9 month
i will assume that i dont get higher battery usage ........which is my concern.
in fact it has gone down more overnight but it is a not so wonderful battery and i am watching it like a hawk.
3 hours talk time total max so i am a bit thingy about making sure i dont have stuff running that i can avoid.
i will work on it :-)

If you want a definitive answer open a ticket with Exetel. Pragmatically, the plan is structured in such a way that the operator makes lots of money when you exceed the quota. What is the operators incentive to make it hard for you to exceed the quota? Prepaid and the shoe is on the other foot, although the fine print may have surprises.
yes i guess that is the truth.
and prepaid like the amasym has that surety about it.....but the data charges are just tooooooo high to be reasonable ATM.
i am happy to give the exetel/optus plan a go and see where it takes me

I like CM3G because I can configure it to give me a total view or voice/sms/mms/data, and it also does monthly proportional and color coding. You can do widgets too if you want.
maybe i better download it and have a look .
thanks
Last I looked amaysim says their minimum charge is 1MB. Under what conditions you packet stream is repartitioned so that what to you is a smaller amount, and to amayaim is 1 or more lots of 1MB, I don't know. You would need to talk to them. Exetel/Optus would have their own thresholds and you would need to talk to them directly.
yes......i knew what i was getting into with amasym. i did talk to them . my needs are really fairly minimal apart from messing with the new phone LOL.
so i may well need to do a good bit of checking out and maybe looking at changing my own behaviour and make more mobile calls !!
having done the rounds with telstra with my sons plan i gave him as a gift for a year........i can clearly see the problems that can arise on capped plans..... which is why i am trying to avoid any issues arising for myself

i just wish that exetel offered a data pack as a seperate buy.

thanks so much for your help.......it is appreciated 8)

soaper

Post by soaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

you have a PM!!!

thejeg wrote:
soaper wrote:i am calling support about this so i can speak to a staff member as otherwise it is like walking in a fog !!!

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

soaper wrote:you have a PM!!!

thejeg wrote:

For everyone's reference, you can visit http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... _HSPA_-_3G to find out more information about APN information.