Mobile 1 plan change

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Re: Mobile 1 plan change

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am

While we admit the exetel Mobile 1 plan (via the Vodafone network) has been very good value, the situation with our new supplier is that we are constrained by their wholesale plans.

Exetel are just not in a commercially viable position to maintain a $0.00 monthly spend plan with the Optus supply of service.

We also know the situation with the data rate on Optus supply is considerably higher than the data rates on the Exetel via vodafone plans.
This is something we have been negotiating with Optus and should be able to provide a better data rate in the near future.
There will be data bolt-on plans to accomodate soon. Presently we are just finalising this with Optus.

4 emails were sent at the start of the month, 3 of which are encouraging Mobile 1 customers to move to a new Optus supplied Exetel mobile plan.

1. Those spending considtently $0.00 per month (these will be cancelled if not ported away beforehand)
2. Those spending consitently less than $2 per month (these will be moved to Mobile 2 plan at $5.00 per month minimum)
3. Those spending consistently between $2 and $10 per month (encouraged to move to a new Optus supplied per minute plan or CAP plan)
4. Those spending consistently over $10 per month (encouraged to move to a new Optus supplied CAP plan)

Customers falling into category 1 and 2 above are simply costing Exetel more than it is to provide the service.
Customers falling into 3 and 4 above we feel we can cater for on a new Optus supplied service. The lower spenders in category 3 are also costing us more than we can provide.
However we are showing some lenience as customers (across the category board) are at least spending roughly the same as what it costs us. Give or take.
The situation is we need to move all customer services from the Vodafone supplied service to the Optus supplied service at some point anyway.
While we would like to maintain as many of our Vodafone supplied customers as possible, we also realise we may lose some customers because the Optus plans don't suit their needs.

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply as it helps to understand the logic behind the change.

I was going to ask this and I think I have an answer but would like to double check. With the Optus per minute plans (and indeed the non-zero Vodafone ones) and the minimum monthly spend, if one spends for example $4.50 in calls/sms etc then the charge is $5.00 (for Mobile A). In other words it's not $5.00 plus your call costs.

A rhetorical comment so treat as such, but there's a good case to say that a per minute plan with a minimum spend is just a cap plan by another name; it's just the tarrifs that are different.

A suggestion for when things settle. How about ALL per minutes plans are $0/month (or some nominal value) plus call costs. The first 50 calls/sms are charged at some applicable rate, the next 50 calls/sms have a lower rate etc. In fact, you'd only need to have one plan - simplicity. This is what a per minute plan should be like :-)

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:28 pm

I was going to ask this and I think I have an answer but would like to double check. With the Optus per minute plans (and indeed the non-zero Vodafone ones) and the minimum monthly spend, if one spends for example $4.50 in calls/sms etc then the charge is $5.00 (for Mobile A). In other words it's not $5.00 plus your call costs.
Correct
A suggestion for when things settle. How about ALL per minutes plans are $0/month (or some nominal value) plus call costs. The first 50 calls/sms are charged at some applicable rate, the next 50 calls/sms have a lower rate etc. In fact, you'd only need to have one plan - simplicity. This is what a per minute plan should be like
Agreed and that rating structure has some merit. The problem as mentioned above is that our new wholesaler (Optus) limits us by way of wholesale minimum monthly spend plans. Therefore we have to also apply minimum spends at the retail level.

layzee

Post by layzee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 am

On the Exetel (via vodaphone) to Exetel (via Optus) e-mails, it stated that the $20 activation fee would be waived if:

1) The existing vodaphone service is ported; and
2) The service is ordered on or before April 30th, 2011.

Is there a reason I was still charged the $20 even though I met the conditions?

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 am

layzee wrote:Is there a reason I was still charged the $20 even though I met the conditions?
This shouldn't be the case AFAIK.

I have prompt the billing Department to do the needful.

They will update you once this is corrected.

layzee

Post by layzee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 am

thejeg wrote:
layzee wrote:Is there a reason I was still charged the $20 even though I met the conditions?
This shouldn't be the case AFAIK.

I have prompt the billing Department to do the needful.

They will update you once this is corrected.
Thanks again thejeg! Hope to hear from them soon, I have a few more to port.

Also I noticed this: viewtopic.php?p=289620#p289620
thomashouseman wrote:...it appears you've reworked the Member Facilities to merge HSPA and Mobile Services together into "Mobile & Wireless Broadband".
Maybe the above caused some side-effects? The $20 that should have been waived appears in one of my invoices and is itemised as a "HSPA Activation Charge".

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

layzee wrote:I have a few more to port.
Port 'em soon :wink:
layzee wrote:Also I noticed this: viewtopic.php?p=289620#p289620

Maybe the above caused some side-effects? The $20 that should have been waived appears in one of my invoices and is itemised as a "HSPA Activation Charge".
I don't think it has anything to do with the $20.00 that's charged from you for the activation..........

sable

Post by sable » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 am

layzee wrote:On the Exetel (via vodaphone) to Exetel (via Optus) e-mails, it stated that the $20 activation fee would be waived if:

1) The existing vodaphone service is ported; and
2) The service is ordered on or before April 30th, 2011.

Is there a reason I was still charged the $20 even though I met the conditions?
Layzee

The form used to apply for the transfer is the standard form, there is no code to detect you are part of the special offer.

You will be charged the $20, it is automatic.

All you have to is email billing@exetel.com.au advising the details and they will process a refund of the $20.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:12 pm

sable wrote:All you have to is email billing@exetel.com.au advising the details and they will process a refund of the $20.
I have already organized this on behalf of layzee :)

layzee

Post by layzee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Problem has been solved!

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 am

layzee wrote:Problem has been solved!
Awesome :)

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 am

Hello. Can you provide some idea of how long it will take (is currently taking) for SIM to be supplied? I'm now into second week and yet to receive confirmation that SIM have been sent. I appreciate there'll be a lot of people changing over which might add a delay. Also, how will the 'free for first month' work with the change over offer? It's conceivable there will only be a week or two left till end of month?

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 am

kudabird wrote:Hello. Can you provide some idea of how long it will take (is currently taking) for SIM to be supplied? I'm now into second week and yet to receive confirmation that SIM have been sent. I appreciate there'll be a lot of people changing over which might add a delay. Also, how will the 'free for first month' work with the change over offer? It's conceivable there will only be a week or two left till end of month?
Could you PM me your details.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Wed May 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Just a couple of follow up questions. Can you explain how the billing for Mobile A works. I understand it's post paid, however, I have just received pro-rata monthly invoice for May since my port from Mobile 1 to Mobile A was completed a few days ago (which is a question I will also raise). It appears that the minimum spend is paid in advance and then at months end billing, calls are tallied and billed less the paid in advance minimum spend. Is this correct?

Also, the offer to port from Mobile 1 to Mobile A stated the first month would be free (up to your minimum spend or CAP). So when does the free month kick in? Is it the same month as when the port was activated, and what is or will be the free duration, that is, for the remainder of the month (May in my case) or 30 days from port activation?

Also, why would I have received pro-rata invoice for each of the 4 phones that was ported between plan based on the above? I guess this is one of the errors that slip through occasionaly? Should I contact billing?

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I haven't recieved a response to my last post or from private message. I finished up logging a support ticket to billing and this also hasn't been answered. Ticket number is 3971216. Could someone please follow this up. Questions are pro-rata billing for port from Mobile-1 to Mobile-A when first month was to be free. Also appears that I'm being charged for Exetel-Exetel calls/sms. Thanks.