Poor coverage & clarification on APN

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Steves

Poor coverage & clarification on APN

Post by Steves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:07 am

We have just started one of the new "Z" plans on the Optus network, very poor coverage in our area, we fined we can only get coverage if the phone is located on the kitchen bench facing North, 10 steps away in the lounge no reception, the same phone had no problems with the other carrier, when applying we came up as being in an area that was covered? also if we ever get reception we would like to use the internet but would like real clarification on the APN to use or not use, the letter included with the Sim stated to use YesINTERNET when using iPhones but in the thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=38336 Joklin advises to use the default and not to apply any APN settings, we would like to know which is correct as a day on the incorrect settings sounds like it could cover the cost of any phone plan with any provider.

Steve

JanakaDS

Re: Poor coverage & clarification on APN

Post by JanakaDS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Steves wrote:We have just started one of the new "Z" plans on the Optus network, very poor coverage in our area, we fined we can only get coverage if the phone is located on the kitchen bench facing North, 10 steps away in the lounge no reception, the same phone had no problems with the other carrier, when applying we came up as being in an area that was covered? also if we ever get reception we would like to use the internet but would like real clarification on the APN to use or not use, the letter included with the Sim stated to use YesINTERNET when using iPhones but in the thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=38336 Joklin advises to use the default and not to apply any APN settings, we would like to know which is correct as a day on the incorrect settings sounds like it could cover the cost of any phone plan with any provider.

Steve
What is the exact plan name and the model of the handset that you are using?

Steves

Post by Steves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:30 pm

JanakaDS wrote:
Steves wrote:We have just started one of the new "Z" plans on the Optus network, very poor coverage in our area, we fined we can only get coverage if the phone is located on the kitchen bench facing North, 10 steps away in the lounge no reception, the same phone had no problems with the other carrier, when applying we came up as being in an area that was covered? also if we ever get reception we would like to use the internet but would like real clarification on the APN to use or not use, the letter included with the Sim stated to use YesINTERNET when using iPhones but in the thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=38336 Joklin advises to use the default and not to apply any APN settings, we would like to know which is correct as a day on the incorrect settings sounds like it could cover the cost of any phone plan with any provider.

Steve
What is the exact plan name and the model of the handset that you are using?
Hello Janaka,
We have the iPhone 3GS and are on the Z8 plan.
Cheers,
Steve

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello Janaka,
Cheers,
Steve
Correct APN for iphone on this plan should be YesINTERNET. However, the signal coverage into your nominated address is not that great. Near by area has been identified for coverage issues by Optus. Hence, I have requested more information pertaining to your service from them.

Will update you via this thread when an update is available.

Steves

Post by Steves » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 am

ShaminG wrote:
Hello Janaka,
Cheers,
Steve
Correct APN for iphone on this plan should be YesINTERNET. However, the signal coverage into your nominated address is not that great. Near by area has been identified for coverage issues by Optus. Hence, I have requested more information pertaining to your service from them.

Will update you via this thread when an update is available.
Hello,
Any news on this as yet? I cannot use my new plan and number for work as it is totally unreliable, I am just glad I didn't port my existing number across or I would have really been stuck. If Optus are reluctant to do anything about it you could just mention that out here is this cities biggest ever subdivision and to think of all the potential new clients they could have if they fix it! I will be happy to wait if Optus are going to do something about it soon.
Cheers, Steve

Steves

Post by Steves » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Anything at all??

I would also be interested if the OPTUS 30 day guarantee, as asked in other threads applies to these plans.
Steve

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Steve,

We have contacted the wholesale carrier and it appears this location does not support any 2G or 3G in building coverage :( .

Supported coverage at this location goes as below.

3G
2100MHz - 3G/HSPA On Street & 3G Voice On Street
900MHz - 3G/HSPA On St with Ext Ant

2G
On Street