Mobile Plan Questions

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Schniz2

Mobile Plan Questions

Post by Schniz2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Im interested in the Z15 plan:
1) Can I use the data on a laptop using a phone with wifi? (is this "tethering"?)
2) Is facebook ebay etc data free on these as well or only on the full-priced cap plans?
3) I will be using it in a 3G single band area according to the coverage map.. is this the best level of coverage?
4) Can I port my number at a later date after purchasing the plan? I'm still in a contract with my current provider.

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Mobile Plan Questions

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a Z8 and Z15 plan:
Schniz2 wrote:1) Can I use the data on a laptop using a phone with wifi? (is this "tethering"?)
This is the "wifi hotspot" feature. Same as tethering, without any software needed on laptop (which is much better as most phones have ridiculous software installs of 140MB+ in order to enable USB tethering). I'm pretty sure that this is allowed and that the carrier logs the data in no different way as for ordinary phone browsing.

Past discussions have mentioned different billing rates (or more specifically, usage billed at excess usage rates) when using the 3G connection in a laptop, but I think that is specific to removing the SIM and inserting it in a USB modem or inbuilt 3G on your laptop.

If you don't get confirmation of this, post back and I'll tell you what my bill says next month after I have used my "wifi hotspot" for a month.
Schniz2 wrote:2) Is facebook ebay etc data free on these as well or only on the full-priced cap plans?
Looking at the way the "order" page is laid out in the "Order" section of the user facilities, the facebook, ebay, etc free usage only apply to the "Light-Medium Use" and "Heavy Use" (i.e. MBxx) plans, not the Z plans.
Schniz2 wrote:3) I will be using it in a 3G single band area according to the coverage map.. is this the best level of coverage?
Dual band coverage is better, but only to provide a little redundancy and prevent the odd disconnect. The single band coverage means your phone can connect at 2100Mhz and dual band means it can connect at either 900Mhz or 2100Mhz. Either way, you'll get full 3G speeds.
Schniz2 wrote:4) Can I port my number at a later date after purchasing the plan? I'm still in a contract with my current provider.
I don't think so. Or at least, I think that if you do this you'll need to have the SIM card re-issued and re-activated. Not sure what this means for contracts, but the usual intention that I see is that porting should be done at the time of activation, not afterwards.

Thanks.[/quote]
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Arn

Post by Arn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I have some questions about the Z plans too.

1. Do these monthly rates (eg, $8 for the Z8 plan) remain beyond the 12 month contract period? Or do they revert to the plan that each Z plan is compared to in the services page "Plan Saving Against CAP Plan" column? (ie, does Z8 turn into a $19 pm plan after 12 months? I don't think so, but thought I should confirm).

2. If I get a new prepaid mobile, locked to Optus for 6 months, will I be able to go onto Z8, port my existing postpaid Optus number over, and use the Exetel plan straight away?

3. I presume the Z8 contract doesn't "lock" an unlocked (bought outright) handset in any way to Optus for the 12 month contract period, does it? So I would be able to use an unlocked handset overseas, with a different SIM, during the 12 month Z8 contract period?

Thanks!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Arn wrote:1. Do these monthly rates (eg, $8 for the Z8 plan) remain beyond the 12 month contract period? Or do they revert to the plan that each Z plan is compared to in the services page "Plan Saving Against CAP Plan" column? (ie, does Z8 turn into a $19 pm plan after 12 months? I don't think so, but thought I should confirm).
Indeed, my opinion is the same as yours: there is indeed nothing to indicate that the Z8 plan is any different to all the other Exetel plans: after contract expiry, the plan remains and you continue on month-to-month terms at the same level, but that Exetel gains the discretion to alter the fees or discontinue the plan at anytime after that.
Arn wrote:2. If I get a new prepaid mobile, locked to Optus for 6 months, will I be able to go onto Z8, port my existing postpaid Optus number over, and use the Exetel plan straight away?
I'm afraid I don't understand this query
Arn wrote:3. I presume the Z8 contract doesn't "lock" an unlocked (bought outright) handset in any way to Optus for the 12 month contract period, does it? So I would be able to use an unlocked handset overseas, with a different SIM, during the 12 month Z8 contract period?
Correct.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Arn

Post by Arn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks Corey.
CoreyPlover wrote:
Arn wrote:2. If I get a new prepaid mobile, locked to Optus for 6 months, will I be able to go onto Z8, port my existing postpaid Optus number over, and use the Exetel plan straight away?
I'm afraid I don't understand this query
What I mean is, Optus has some seemingly good deals on prepaid mobiles, such as this: http://www.optus.com.au/store/phone/huawei_x1. It's locked to Optus for the first 6 months. I currently am with Optus, no contract, postpaid. If I:
1. Sign up for Z8 and port my current number to Exetel,
2. Receive a SIM from Exetel (presumably), and
3. Put that in the above new prepaid mobile

Would it work? Or would that handset somehow be locked to use only a direct Optus SIM or something? (Sorry, not au fait with the way reseller mobile arrangements work with prepaid locked phones.)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 am

Arn wrote:Would it work?
Hmmm. My answer would be "probably".

If I were in your position, I'd be confident enough to give it a go. But, a part of me worries about the way Exetel interfaces with the Optus network, because there might be a difference between how Exetel provision "Layer 3 mobile services" vs "Layer 2 mobile services" and that might affects carrier based SIM locks. Might be best to lodge a support ticket to confirm this query.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:22 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
Schniz2 wrote:2) Is facebook ebay etc data free on these as well or only on the full-priced cap plans?
Looking at the way the "order" page is laid out in the "Order" section of the user facilities, the facebook, ebay, etc free usage only apply to the "Light-Medium Use" and "Heavy Use" (i.e. MBxx) plans, not the Z plans.
No - that is not correct - I am on Z15 and I am defintely getting sessions for these social networks shown on my usage report as "Free Usage From Social Network"
It won't come out of your data allocation

OverIT

Post by OverIT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 pm

bodogbodog said: "Free Usage From Social Network"

But can you be sure that the information in the usage area is correct? If I phrase the question another way "What items am I being charged for when I view the usage page?" the answer is "It's unclear!"

A few related questions that come to mind:
MMS are listed separately. How are they charged if you're on a minute-based plan? Are they charged at all?
Which "social" websites are included? Check the fine-print.
Which of the calls listed are to Exetel phones and which are to "Others"?

I recommend logging a support call and getting an answer in writing.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:45 pm

OverIT wrote:bodogbodog said: "Free Usage From Social Network"

But can you be sure that the information in the usage area is correct? If I phrase the question another way "What items am I being charged for when I view the usage page?" the answer is "It's unclear!"

MMS are listed separately. How are they charged if you're on a minute-based plan? Are they charged at all?

An Exetel representative will soon advise you over the raised queries.

EromalR
Exetel Staff

Post by EromalR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:48 pm

rukshani wrote:
OverIT wrote:bodogbodog said: "Free Usage From Social Network"

An Exetel representative will soon advise you over the raised queries.
- Yes they are charged. Please go through the charges listed in http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-mo ... harges.php

-Unlimited access for Social websites are not included for per-minute plans.

-Your query is not very clear to answer

Arn

Post by Arn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Corey has given his answers to my questions above - but can an Exetel employee please confirm what he has said?

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Arn wrote:Corey has given his answers to my questions above - but can an Exetel employee please confirm what he has said?
Exetel sim cards will not work on a Handset that is locked to Optus :(
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

tabletennisman

Post by tabletennisman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

udara wrote:
Arn wrote:Corey has given his answers to my questions above - but can an Exetel employee please confirm what he has said?
Exetel sim cards will not work on a Handset that is locked to Optus :(
not sure this is true? We've just bought a locked optus phone (huawei X1) for our exetel sim card, and it works fine...

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm

tabletennisman wrote: Exetel sim cards will not work on a Handset that is locked to Optus :(

This is something that we cannot confirm , there is a chance it may work or it may not work , its best to have your mobile handset unlocked :|
Last edited by udara on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============