Z8 and Z15 plans - August calls/data included in Sept usage

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
boardshorts

Z8 and Z15 plans - August calls/data included in Sept usage

Post by boardshorts » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 am

Have two Z8 and one Z15 plan. All services show call and data usage late August offset against the September CAP. Can you confirm that the CAP applies to the calendar month given Exetel prorated the first month on that basis.

Logged support email on 05SEP11 -ticket number is - #4401374# and got the "I have escalated your query to the relevant department, They will get back to you as soon as possible." standard response. Heard nothing more.

Can I get an update?

AzwanM
Exetel Staff

Re: Z8 and Z15 plans - August calls/data included in Sept us

Post by AzwanM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:23 am

boardshorts wrote:Have two Z8 and one Z15 plan. All services show call and data usage late August offset against the September CAP. Can you confirm that the CAP applies to the calendar month given Exetel prorated the first month on that basis.

Logged support email on 05SEP11 -ticket number is - #4401374# and got the "I have escalated your query to the relevant department, They will get back to you as soon as possible." standard response. Heard nothing more.

Can I get an update?
I have sent a reply to ticket ID 4401374. Please respond to that ticket if you require further assistance. Thanks

boardshorts

Post by boardshorts » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:59 am

I have read your response and reference to 10.2 of the T&C's http://www.exetel.com.au/mobile_terms_c ... ns.php#tc9

Please confirm that all calls/data usage is applied to the CAP for the period in which that usage occurred regardless of when the data for this usage is received by Exetel.

AzwanM
Exetel Staff

Post by AzwanM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:07 pm

boardshorts wrote:I have read your response and reference to 10.2 of the T&C's http://www.exetel.com.au/mobile_terms_c ... ns.php#tc9

Please confirm that all calls/data usage is applied to the CAP for the period in which that usage occurred regardless of when the data for this usage is received by Exetel.
I have sent a reply to ticket ID 4401374. Please respond to that ticket if you require further assistance. Thanks

plugger2

Post by plugger2 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 pm

boardshorts wrote:I have read your response and reference to 10.2 of the T&C's http://www.exetel.com.au/mobile_terms_c ... ns.php#tc9

Looks like this is the closest thing in the T&C to answering the OP's question:
10.2 Exetel will try to include on the Customer's invoice all charges for the relevant billing period. However, where this is not possible Exetel may include unbilled charges in a later invoice(s).
But the T&C don't clarify how data usage received by Exetel for (say) the last day of August received from Optus after the generation of the invoice for August will be handled. Two obvious possibilities:

a) An adjustment to the August invoice based on a calculation including the last day's usage as part of the August cap limits, or
b) Calculate the September invoice treating the last day's usage as part of the Sept cap limits.

a) would be the option most people would expect, I would think. It would be useful to have this point clarified precisely by Exetel if b) (or some other policy) applies.

boardshorts

Post by boardshorts » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Response received in email from Exetel billing was:-
"Unfortunately it is not possible to offset the total calls/data against the correct period as it takes a gap of approx 2 to 3 business days minimum for wholesale suppliers to update their resellers.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this regard."
along with the usual disclaimer on it not being error free or binding on Exetel ie the same as any post an Exetel employee makes in this forum.

I understand that 10.2 of Exetel T&C's reflect the Industry codes that allow providers to charge you for services used but not billed in the billing cycle the use occurred in. There can be delays in receipt of the data (particularly international and third party services which may take weeks to receive). It allows the provider to charge for services that the customer should have paid for at the time but come in subsequent to that billing period - think, end of contact, they take/you pay what you think is the "final payment" and two weeks later data arrives. They have a right to bill you for what you used, using the rates and conditions in the now terminated contract, regardless of who your current provider is.

I do not believe that the intent of the industry code is to allow a provider to charge for services that should have been included in the customers CAP at the time of use.

I am seeking advice from the regulator, ACMA, as the TIO are not interested until I have suffered a financial loss.

Disappointed at Exetel's position as it means I cannot use their usage meter or phone based software without manually adjusting the data for the late billed calls/data usage and then, once charged excess usage for the late billed calls/data, I need to go through the TIO to recover incorrect billing. I guess they figure it will not be worth it for most people to firstly check their bills that closely and then go through the TIO process.

I also suspect the reason Exetel respond by email and do not respond in this forum with an answer other than "we have sent you an email", is that they would prefer it not to become common knowledge. Happy for an Exetel staffer to correct my understanding or Exetel's position if its an error under the disclaimer.
Last edited by boardshorts on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzwanM
Exetel Staff

Post by AzwanM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:25 pm

boardshorts wrote:Response received in email from Exetel billing was:-
"Unfortunately it is not possible to offset the total calls/data against the correct period as it takes a gap of approx 2 to 3 business days minimum for wholesale suppliers to update their resellers.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this regard."
along with the usual disclaimer on it not being error free or binding on Exetel ie the same as any post an Exetel employee makes in this forum.

I understand that 10.2 of Exetel T&C's reflect the Industry codes that allow providers to charge you for services used but not billed in the billing cycle the use occurred in. There can be delays in receipt of the data (particularly international and third party services which may take weeks to receive). It allows the provider to charge for services that the customer should have paid for at the time but come in subsequent to that billing period - think, end of contact, they take/you pay what you think is the "final payment" and two weeks later data arrives. They have a right to bill you for what you used, using the rates and conditions in the now terminated contract, regardless of who your current provider is.

I do not believe that the intent of the industry code is allow a provider to charge for services that should have been included in the customers CAP at the time of use.

I am seeking advice from the regulator, ACMA, as the TIO are not interested until I have suffered a financial loss.

Disappointed at Exetel's position as it means I cannot use their usage meter or phone based software without manually adjusting the data for the late billed calls/data usage and then, once charged excess usage for the late billed calls/data, I need to go through the TIO to recover incorrect billing. I guess they figure it will not be worth it for most people to firstly check their bills that closely and then go through the TIO process.

I also suspect the reason Exetel respond by email and do not respond in this forum with an answer other than "we have sent you an email", is that they would prefer it not to become common knowledge. Happy for an Exetel staffer to correct my understanding or Exetel's position if its an error under the disclaimer.
Your case has been escalated further and we will get back to you as soon as further updates are received...

plugger2

Post by plugger2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:09 pm

boardshorts wrote: I do not believe that the intent of the industry code is to allow a provider to charge for services that should have been included in the customers CAP at the time of use.
Just out of interest, would you be satisfied if Exetel implemented option a) as described in my post above (i.e., made an adjustment to the August bill that appears in the September bill, rather than included data used in August as part of the September bill)?

Although this would be annoying because you would typically have to expect the adjustment for the usage information lag coming from Optus, at least it would fairly reflect charges with respect to the the understood cap limits. It would seem to be the best a reseller like Exetel could do if they can't get the information from Optus in time to prepare the invoices for that month.

Mind you, unless the cap limits were exceed in the previous month, no billing adjustment (in terms of $$$) would actually be required. And if a customer _had_ exceeded the cap limits for the previous month, then it is probably more to the advantage of the customer than to Exetel to move the last few days usage into the next month anyway. So, although in principle it is a less than ideal situation, in practice the state of affairs is probably nothing to get too excited about.

Having said that, I'd still prefer more timely usage info appearing on the phone usage meter pages. But if Optus can't or won't supply the information to Exetel any sooner, then I guess we're stuck with it, and the associated inconveniences.

boardshorts

Post by boardshorts » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Just out of interest, would you be satisfied if Exetel implemented option a) as described in my post above (i.e., made an adjustment to the August bill that appears in the September bill, rather than included data used in August as part of the September bill)?
No need to adjust the August invoice as it can be reported/charged on the September invoice provided it is itemised as being August late billing and is correctly applied against any quota unused at the end of August. Exetel already know what my quota are for each month (including the month they prorate) and what included credits have been applied against these quotas.

I am after three things:-
1. To not to pay excess usage charges for late billed calls/data that were incurred in a previous month in which I have not exceeded my quota after the late calls/data usage has been included
2. A usable usage meter that accurately reflects what quota has been used and remains outstanding for the current month to the point the last data feed has been applied.
3. An open and transparent reporting/billing system that allows me to confirm what calls/data usage has been applied to the quota for the correct month based on when the call/data usage occurred.

I am only asking that the data they already have is applied, reported and billed both accurately and correctly.

I know I can manually re-calculate what Exetel reports using the data from their system but its time consuming, prone to error and inconvenient. All the attributes I am not looking for from a telecommunications provider's billing system.

Thushari

Post by Thushari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm

boardshorts wrote:I am after three things:-
1. To not to pay excess usage charges for late billed calls/data that were incurred in a previous month in which I have not exceeded my quota after the late calls/data usage has been included
2. A usable usage meter that accurately reflects what quota has been used and remains outstanding for the current month to the point the last data feed has been applied.
3. An open and transparent reporting/billing system that allows me to confirm what calls/data usage has been applied to the quota for the correct month based on when the call/data usage occurred.

I have replied to your email with reference number 4401374. Could you please reply to the same email if you have further queries.

boardshorts

Post by boardshorts » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:32 am

We have escalated your query.

However please note that Exetel is a not a direct service provider to supply live updates of your usage and Exetel act as a reseller.

Hence it is difficult to get all the required voice usage in time for the previous calendar month, however Exetel includes all the possible data we received before the next billing period.
The response to the ticket mentioned above. Can I get an update as I have heard nothing from whoever you escalated this matter to.

Thushari

Post by Thushari » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 am

boardshorts wrote: The response to the ticket mentioned above. Can I get an update as I have heard nothing from whoever you escalated this matter to.
i have already responded to your email. Could you please reply to same if you have further queries.

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Perhaps Exetel could wait 3 days (or until the usage data for the applicable billing period is available from the carrier) before generating the invoice?

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 pm

bigshow wrote:Perhaps Exetel could wait 3 days (or until the usage data for the applicable billing period is available from the carrier) before generating the invoice?
The manager in concern will once again send you an email tomorrow in clarification of the above.

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm

No need for an email clarification, I understand completely how the usage data is calculated and applied. I was merely making a suggestion that its application is slightly obtuse and could be improved upon to reduce customer confusion.