Info on Issues with Optus Blackberry email server?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
brianh

Re: Info on Issues with Optus Blackberry email server?

Post by brianh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:22 pm

the link to the BIS webpage was provided, BUT...........

when I attempt to create an account, it asks for the PIN and IMEI of the phone - I enter those, then it brings up an error message that the email needs to be set up from the phone.... as the phone has enabled me to do this, there is obviously an account already set up for me.......

I have lodged an enquiry with Tech Support and was told I would receive a call back from someone who is looking into finding out what the User name and Password is that appears to have been assigned to my apparently active account....

When you find out how Optus initiate this, you will need to incorporate it into the last statement in the proposed procedures above to be able to provide users with the information they need to manage their account online through the BIS web interface.

Regards,
Brian

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 pm

HI brianh,

As discussed, I have requested creation of BIS account from our wholesale supplier end. Once this has been created, ll provide you an update :)

brianh

Post by brianh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I have solved the BIS Login issue!!!...... It turns out that was .... MY FAULT, not Exetel, not Optus.

I have rung support around 7:00 pm and let them know I have resolved the issue, and how, and that I would post the solution here for other users. I have now created my User name and Password and can successfully log in to the BIS webpage.

It turns out it was a feature available through the Email Settings menu on the Blackberry device. The BIS Login cannot be set up from the http://www.optus.blackberry.com web page, only from the Blackberry itself.

The particular type of Email connectivity provided on this plan initially allows the user to manage emails from the device only, and assumes they don't want or need to use a separate computer to do this. There is an option in the Email Settings menu to set up a User Name and Login. This will then allow the user to log in to the BIS web page at http://www.optus.blackberry.com from any computer, to configure email settings or re-send Service Books if needed.

I wasn't aware that with this particular type of product from Optus, you need to follow these steps in order to create the Login. I have re-created the steps below, for adding to my proposed procedures.......

" - To configure email settings, on the Blackberry device go to the "Setup" icon, then select "Email Setup". This should connect you to the Email server where you can configure the email addresses to be associated with your Blackberry device.

If the user wishes to be able to access the BIS web page at http://www.optus.blackberry.com from a PC, the steps below need to be followed.

NOTE:
. Once configured, this cannot be undone.
. The user name and password must then be used to login in to Email Settings each time (but can be remembered by the device).
. Any email address that has already been configured on the device will need to be validated again following this step by entering the email account's password, before the device will continue to receive emails from that address.

- Once in the Email settings, press the "menu" button and select ...(create user name/login? Not sure as i can't see this any more, as I have already done it & can't go back to check..... :-) )
- Enter the User Name and Password you wish to use and confirm the Password. Press "OK" to submit.
- The device should connect to the Email Server and create the login using the name and password you entered.
- When you return to the Email Settings in the Blackberry, it will display the Login page with the User Name and Password. You then select "Login" to proceed to the email settings in the device.
- You should now also be able to access the BIS web page at http://www.optus.blackberry.com by entering your user name and password to configure email settings via a computer."

It's late & I'm tired so I hope that makes sense. Please read and let me know if anything needs clarifying.

Hopefully this will help provisioning and support make this a smoother road for future Blackberry customers.

I do appreciate the extra effort made by Exetel staff in response to my complaints.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 am

Dear brianh,

Thanks for posing the detailed steps. I'm sure your post will be very informative for other BB users when setting up the BIS account.
I do appreciate the extra effort made by Exetel staff in response to my complaints.

Appreciate your kind words :D .