Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Post Reply
wingchun
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:20 pm

Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by wingchun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I've been looking at moving from 3 for a while. First, coverage is spotty at best. Usually struggle to get a signal at home. Phone is starting to die a little too. Turns itself off. Forgets the SIM is there. And it's just old too. Long story short: looking to move to a better network and get a better phone. Have heard that vodaphone isn't that much better than 3 and that I'd be better off with either telstra or optus.

So, having been out of the market for so long, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to current mobile plans and handsets.

My 3 plan was fairly good for its time: $14/month. 100 free texts. 300min free 3 to 3. 10 min landline calls for 24c. But beyond that, the $14 only gives $14.

So if I'm understanding it correctly, it seems the Z15 plan provides wayyyy better value with $440 included calls & SMS, and 1500MB data. And not just better than my current plan, but better than anything else I can see out there from telstra, virgin, optus and vodafone.

I guess the Z15 plan seems SOOO much better than anything else out there, that I can't help thinking I'm missing something. Am I?

I'm also wondering what phone I should get. My feeling is to go to one of two extremes: dirt cheap and functional, or top of the line with features out the wazoo that'll keep me happy for another several years. Any ideas? Anything to avoid? I'm considering one of the iphones. The 4s looks like it'd last, but again, I've really no idea. Anything basically as good for a better price? I've heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy S II.

Also, what's the deal/cost with getting a replacement SIM? I'm thinking - since time is running out - I want to get my order in with a standard SIM and use it in my current phone for now, but might need a micro SIM if I later choose to get an iphone.

rukshani
Exetel Staff
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by rukshani » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:29 pm

wingchun wrote:I've been looking at moving from 3 for a while. First, coverage is spotty at best. Usually struggle to get a signal at home. Phone is starting to die a little too. Turns itself off. Forgets the SIM is there. And it's just old too. Long story short: looking to move to a better network and get a better phone. Have heard that vodaphone isn't that much better than 3 and that I'd be better off with either telstra or optus.

So, having been out of the market for so long, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to current mobile plans and handsets.

My 3 plan was fairly good for its time: $14/month. 100 free texts. 300min free 3 to 3. 10 min landline calls for 24c. But beyond that, the $14 only gives $14.

So if I'm understanding it correctly, it seems the Z15 plan provides wayyyy better value with $440 included calls & SMS, and 1500MB data. And not just better than my current plan, but better than anything else I can see out there from telstra, virgin, optus and vodafone.

I guess the Z15 plan seems SOOO much better than anything else out there, that I can't help thinking I'm missing something. Am I?

I'm also wondering what phone I should get. My feeling is to go to one of two extremes: dirt cheap and functional, or top of the line with features out the wazoo that'll keep me happy for another several years. Any ideas? Anything to avoid? I'm considering one of the iphones. The 4s looks like it'd last, but again, I've really no idea. Anything basically as good for a better price? I've heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy S II.

Also, what's the deal/cost with getting a replacement SIM? I'm thinking - since time is running out - I want to get my order in with a standard SIM and use it in my current phone for now, but might need a micro SIM if I later choose to get an iphone.
I have passed this on to a sales representative who will shortly advise you on this.

EromalR
Exetel Staff
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by EromalR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:04 pm

wingchun wrote:I've been looking at moving from 3 for a while. First, coverage is spotty at best. Usually struggle to get a signal at home. Phone is starting to die a little too. Turns itself off. Forgets the SIM is there. And it's just old too. Long story short: looking to move to a better network and get a better phone. Have heard that vodaphone isn't that much better than 3 and that I'd be better off with either telstra or optus.

So, having been out of the market for so long, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to current mobile plans and handsets.

My 3 plan was fairly good for its time: $14/month. 100 free texts. 300min free 3 to 3. 10 min landline calls for 24c. But beyond that, the $14 only gives $14.

So if I'm understanding it correctly, it seems the Z15 plan provides wayyyy better value with $440 included calls & SMS, and 1500MB data. And not just better than my current plan, but better than anything else I can see out there from telstra, virgin, optus and vodafone.

I guess the Z15 plan seems SOOO much better than anything else out there, that I can't help thinking I'm missing something. Am I?

I'm also wondering what phone I should get. My feeling is to go to one of two extremes: dirt cheap and functional, or top of the line with features out the wazoo that'll keep me happy for another several years. Any ideas? Anything to avoid? I'm considering one of the iphones. The 4s looks like it'd last, but again, I've really no idea. Anything basically as good for a better price? I've heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy S II.

Also, what's the deal/cost with getting a replacement SIM? I'm thinking - since time is running out - I want to get my order in with a standard SIM and use it in my current phone for now, but might need a micro SIM if I later choose to get an iphone.
After reading your thread, looks like you are very clear on what you want, which is a good thing. Both smart phones you have mentioned are at top of the market at the moment and Samsung would be a bit cost effective than the iphone4s. If you get a standard sim you can later on request for a SIM swap, which will cost you $20. Since we do not charge for Z cap plan activations you save money.

With the Z15 plan for $15, you will get included call value upto $440 to call/SMS/MMS any other network. Further, between Exetel mobile to another Exetel mobile you will only get a call value of $440 on top of the earlier $440. Please log in to http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-mo ... -plans.php to study plan inclusions and exclusions and plan terms as they are the same with Z cap plans. Please send an email to residentialsales@exetel.com.au with the mobile number and the account number of 3. We will be happy to arrange a Z15 plan for you.

wingchun
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:20 pm

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by wingchun » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks for that. I'll probably send the email tomorrow to confirm.

One thing that just occurred to me ... my partner is also on 3 and isn't too happy with her plan. I haven't spoken to her about this yet, but from what I know of her usage, I'd guess she would be very interested in either the Z29 or Z39 plans. Problem is, she's not an exetel user. Is it possible for her to move from 3 to one of these plans in her name? Or would it have to be in my name? And would that create problems with the switch from 3 (her name) to exetel (my name)?

remosha
Exetel Staff
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by remosha » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 am

wingchun wrote:Thanks for that. I'll probably send the email tomorrow to confirm.

One thing that just occurred to me ... my partner is also on 3 and isn't too happy with her plan. I haven't spoken to her about this yet, but from what I know of her usage, I'd guess she would be very interested in either the Z29 or Z39 plans. Problem is, she's not an exetel user. Is it possible for her to move from 3 to one of these plans in her name? Or would it have to be in my name? And would that create problems with the switch from 3 (her name) to exetel (my name)?
It's possible to get the connection under your name.It will not be an issue when switching from 3 to Exetel as long as you provide us with the correct Mobile Account Number if it's a post-paid connection and her date of Birth if it's a pre-paid connection, when providing porting information.

wingchun
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:20 pm

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by wingchun » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks.

Is it only possible under my name? It's still early-ish in the relationship and I'm not sure my partner would feel entirely comfortable basically paying me for her mobile plan. I'm not sure I would either. :)


Is there any way she can be billed directly? If I get the connection in my name, will it be possible to change the payment details in my member facilities so that my partner be charged directly?

I'm guessing by the way it's formatted that it wouldn't be possible ... it appears I can only select one payment method for all services on my account, but as I currently have just the one service, I can't be sure.

AzwanM
Exetel Staff
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:03 pm
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Considering moving from 3 to Z15.

Post by AzwanM » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 pm

wingchun wrote:Thanks.

Is it only possible under my name? It's still early-ish in the relationship and I'm not sure my partner would feel entirely comfortable basically paying me for her mobile plan. I'm not sure I would either. :)


Is there any way she can be billed directly? If I get the connection in my name, will it be possible to change the payment details in my member facilities so that my partner be charged directly?

I'm guessing by the way it's formatted that it wouldn't be possible ... it appears I can only select one payment method for all services on my account, but as I currently have just the one service, I can't be sure.
I have sent you an e-mail via Ticket ID: 4547122. Please reply to that e-mail if you require further assistance.

Post Reply