Incorrect Excess Data usage

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
dragon

Incorrect Excess Data usage

Post by dragon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi,
I just checked my mobile bill and it says Ive exceeded my quota. I'm quite sure i haven't and there is a mistake because all i use my phone for in regards to data usage is imessage, whatsapp, facebook(free) and the occasional small web browsing.
These particular data usage entries were brought to my attention when i checked
2011-12-25 22:26:26 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 9KB $0.00
2011-12-25 22:30:26 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 7KB $0.00
2011-12-25 22:33:26 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 131162KB $36.07
2011-12-25 22:33:27 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 1KB $0.00
and
2011-12-28 10:27:29 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 13308KB $3.66
2011-12-28 10:27:29 04xx xxx xxx Data Usage 6591KB $0.00
and a quite a few others.

Usually i only use far below 100mb/month and the amount of times i log in to the internet is less than 15 times a day(and those times are mostly just messaging so very little data). since the 25th (Christmas day: it says my logins have greatly increased and I'm using a lot of data.) All my applications are updated through computer and i only use my mobile data to update if i know its small (less than 5mb).

who should i contact to have it checked?
and has this happened before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dragon

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Incorrect Excess Data usage

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:46 am

what type of mobile, any recent software updates to the mobile and is there a usage meter on the phone?

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 am

i use an iphone. no recent software updates. most updates i do through the computer and home internet though. there is a monitor on the phone.. but thats total from when i got it. Is there an app or way to check my usage data sent/received on each app. the most downloading i think i'd do is view facebook images and that's free.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:06 am

dragon wrote:i use an iphone. no recent software updates. most updates i do through the computer and home internet though. there is a monitor on the phone.. but thats total from when i got it. Is there an app or way to check my usage data sent/received on each app. the most downloading i think i'd do is view facebook images and that's free.
for Facebook only the Facebook related data would be free, stuff like embedded YouTube videos, externally hosted pictures etc are not free, something to watch out for

there are plenty of data monitoring apps available on the app store

keep in mind an iPhone is a data centric device though and there are background processes that will use data without you actively using the phone, updates, location based services, mapping etc can all happen as background processes

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:21 am

Do you have any recommendations for apps to monitor each app's usage?
and would it be possible to have this checked by an exetel rep?
i find it odd that usually i use less than 100mb/month and in one session i did 130mb. is it possible a rare system error or something charged someone else usage onto mine?
(i don't download/view any large videos or apps and most of the images i view on facebook are through facebook albums- they should be included with the free facebok usage?)
it's possible background apps could've used a little.. but i didn't think as much as 130mb.

i was also thinking to change my plan to z15 today. if i do would it be implemented by january first or february first?

Any help would be appreicated!

Dragon

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:52 am

no particular usage app to recommend as I don't use them myself, I do use an iPhone but have way more included data than I ever need, there are quite a few threads on Whirlpool in the iPhone section though if you want to have a look at what apps are popular

there are probably more default background processes possible in the current firmware version than there have been in prior versions since the introduction of iCloud based stuff, best to check your settings

a stuck email in the outbox is something I've seen in the past that can chew up data for no good reason

keep in mind that if you start something on WiFi and the phone goes to sleep the WiFi shuts off after around 15 minutes and it will revert to 3G for data access unless you are connected to external power

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 am

Ok thanks. I'll have a look on whirlpool for some apps.

I have iCloud Trned off and emails are set to manually check.

I'm pretty sure I didn't update anything. Most of my updates I do through the computer to avoid this type of excess usage.

dragon

Post by dragon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:26 pm

is there anyone i can contact to deal with this?
i would like to know how this excess data was recorded if possible to avoid it happening again.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 am

dragon wrote:is there anyone i can contact to deal with this?
i would like to know how this excess data was recorded if possible to avoid it happening again.
Hi,

We do not keep logs of what consisted of your traffic, just a total megabyte figure.

If you want to follow this up please contact billing@exetel.com.au

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 am

could have been an errant process on the phone perhaps, might be worth checking the log files and see if anything unusual reported, you can find them at Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostic & Usage Data

dragon

Post by dragon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:16 pm

James wrote:
dragon wrote:is there anyone i can contact to deal with this?
Hi,

We do not keep logs of what consisted of your traffic, just a total megabyte figure.

If you want to follow this up please contact billing@exetel.com.au
hi thanks. i'll give them an email. i was just hoping maybe you could check where the data came from. if it was an error and it was someone elses device that accidentally got charged to mine or something similar.