Intermittent phone service

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
ercatli

Intermittent phone service

Post by ercatli » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:42 pm

We have been having problems with our Exetel mobile service, and I'm looking for help in diagnosing please.

About a month ago our phone stopped sending and receiving. The Phonebook and other functions still worked so there wasn't an obvious battery problem. It just wouldn't send or receive. So I tested it with a friend who had a similar SIM card - his card worked in my phone and my card worked in his. But when I returned my SIM to my phone, it didn't work again.

I guessed it could maybe be worn SIM or phone connections and ordered a new SIM (cheaper than buying a new phone). When it came, the phone worked again and it seemed I had worked it out correctly. But now, a week or two later, the phone is working only intermittently. Mostly it can't make a connection, and so can't send or receive, but occasionally it will receive an SMS, so it must connect sometimes. So perhaps it is an intermittent fault in the phone.

I wouldn't have thought it was a network problem for we live in Sydney's southern suburbs, and should have good service. But one other strange event makes me wonder. Occasionally for a few weeks or more now, we have been getting missed calls (never leaving a message) from a number we didn't know. Finally I rang the number in return, and found it was someone we didn't know. She had been calling her husband from that number but the calls didn't get to him, and the most recent one was the time of our latest missed call. It seemed that her calls to him were coming occasionally to our number - and I don't know how that could occur. We agreed she would repeat the call immediately to see if we received it, but we didn't, so the problem was intermittent - which I find very strange. How can calls go to his correct number sometimes but to our number other times???

So I am left wondering whether there is some connection between the two problems, but that may just be a red herring. Does anyone have any ideas please before I go out a buy another phone and hope it makes a difference?

Thanks.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Intermittent phone service

Post by KavindaS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 pm

ercatli wrote:We have been having problems with our Exetel mobile service, and I'm looking for help in diagnosing please.

About a month ago our phone stopped sending and receiving. The Phonebook and other functions still worked so there wasn't an obvious battery problem. It just wouldn't send or receive. So I tested it with a friend who had a similar SIM card - his card worked in my phone and my card worked in his. But when I returned my SIM to my phone, it didn't work again.

I guessed it could maybe be worn SIM or phone connections and ordered a new SIM (cheaper than buying a new phone). When it came, the phone worked again and it seemed I had worked it out correctly. But now, a week or two later, the phone is working only intermittently. Mostly it can't make a connection, and so can't send or receive, but occasionally it will receive an SMS, so it must connect sometimes. So perhaps it is an intermittent fault in the phone.

I wouldn't have thought it was a network problem for we live in Sydney's southern suburbs, and should have good service. But one other strange event makes me wonder. Occasionally for a few weeks or more now, we have been getting missed calls (never leaving a message) from a number we didn't know. Finally I rang the number in return, and found it was someone we didn't know. She had been calling her husband from that number but the calls didn't get to him, and the most recent one was the time of our latest missed call. It seemed that her calls to him were coming occasionally to our number - and I don't know how that could occur. We agreed she would repeat the call immediately to see if we received it, but we didn't, so the problem was intermittent - which I find very strange. How can calls go to his correct number sometimes but to our number other times???

So I am left wondering whether there is some connection between the two problems, but that may just be a red herring. Does anyone have any ideas please before I go out a buy another phone and hope it makes a difference?

Thanks.

Hi,
Would you please PM me your mobile service number or send us a email indicating your number as well as the other number that you received the missed calls to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, so we could investigate from our end before you suggest it was a phone issue.

ercatli

Post by ercatli » Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 am

I'm getting limited service again, intermittently. I think it must be a phone problem - it is a very cheap Samsung.

Can anyone tell me please, whether problems in the phone are likely to cause this, and if so, what is the problem? I got new SIM card and that seemed to work for a while, and battery seems to be OK. Could buying a newer phone make a difference? I just want to understand the problem please.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Thu May 24, 2012 10:59 am

ercatli wrote:I'm getting limited service again, intermittently. I think it must be a phone problem - it is a very cheap Samsung.

Can anyone tell me please, whether problems in the phone are likely to cause this, and if so, what is the problem? I got new SIM card and that seemed to work for a while, and battery seems to be OK. Could buying a newer phone make a difference? I just want to understand the problem please.
The best way to identify where the problem is , would be to test your sim card in an alternate borrowed handset. :D . This way we can identify if the sim card is faulty or if the handset itself has issues.
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============