APN Settings

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
ausduckz

APN Settings

Post by ausduckz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:25 pm

I've just had my number ported over to Exetel from Optus, and now I'm trying to set up the correct APN Settings for my Samsung Galaxy S.

There seems to be a few different APN Settings floating around the Internet, and even from different sources on the Exetel site. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been utterly confused.

Name: Exetel
APN: internet
Everything else by default is blank, besides MCC which is 505 and MNC which is 02. For APN Type, what do I do here, as I do not have options to choose from, I can only type an option. With my old Optus sim I would type default.

Do I need to set up a APN for MMS? As I did for Optus, and under APN Type I would type mms. I ask this because everything I do, I cannot send out an MMS.

Please help.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: APN Settings

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:08 pm

if your phone was with Optus previously I don't believe you need to change any setting if using an Optus based Exetel service, MMS not working can be something that goes wrong in the porting process (assuming you haven't changed any settings you shouldn't have) in which case you'd need to open a support ticket to get it looked into, they are still open now

ausduckz

Post by ausduckz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 am

These issues aside, am I fine to close my Optus account? Or do I have to leave it open to have any porting issues corrected?

Also, as I ported from an Optus Post Paid service, these are the Internet and MMS APN settings I used which working perfectly: http://ausdroid.net/apns/#optus

Do I continue to use these settings?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:42 am

ausduckz wrote:These issues aside, am I fine to close my Optus account? Or do I have to leave it open to have any porting issues corrected?

Also, as I ported from an Optus Post Paid service, these are the Internet and MMS APN settings I used which working perfectly: http://ausdroid.net/apns/#optus

Do I continue to use these settings?
Hi,

Once the service is active from Exetel, you can contact your previous supplier and finalize the account and there won't be any issues with the porting as it is completed.

I will check on the MMS issue and contact you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

ausduckz

Post by ausduckz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:02 am

According to my usage meter, I have sent one MMS, but I don't recall an MMS ever being sent successfully.

Here are the following two APN's I have set up, with the help of one of your support staff I was on the phone to late last week.

Name: Exetel
APN: internet
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 505 (Set by default)
MNC: 02 (Set by default)
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default (Changed from "Not set" which is default value)
APN protocol: IPv4 (Set by default)

Name: Exetel MMS
APN: mms
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
MMS proxy: 61.88.190.10
MMS port: 8070
MCC: 505 (Set by default)
MNC: 02 (Set by default)
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: mms
APN protocol: IPv4 (Set by default)

And here is a screenshot of my APN setup screen.
Screenshot_2012-08-26-08-56-49.png
Screenshot_2012-08-26-08-56-49.png (25.35 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
As you can see, if I remove the value "mms" from APN type, the MMS APN will become a general APN, forcing me to either choose from the Internet or MMS APN.

EDIT: Ok, so after a bit more testing, I seem to be able to send and receive MMS messages now. I changed the Authentication type from "Not set" to "PAP" under the MMS APN. Can someone please confirm that this is appropriate and will not incur any extra charges? Should the Internet/General APN also have an Authentication type of PAP too?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:41 pm

PAP is correct for Optus based services