Starting Out

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Post Reply
JB35
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Starting Out

Post by JB35 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Firstly apologies if this information is clearly outlined elsewhere but I was unable to find it.

My situtation is the following - my wife and I both have older not smart phones with full size Sim cards and are looking to upgrade to smart phone, probably iPhone 5's, and change to an Exetel plan. She is on Optus pre-paid, I am on Optus post paid and we both wish to maintain our current numbers.

My understanding is we need to do the following in the following order-

-Order/Buy new phones that are not locked into any network.
-Complete Exetel Mobile Online Order Form with Nano Sim and "I would like to keep my current mobile number and port it to Exetel" for both my wife and I
-Once Phones and Sims have been received, confirm successful porting of new to Exetel
-Cancel older plans with Optus

Can some please confirm that I have not missed any key steps in the process and answer the following question -
I do not need to have a new phone to order plans?
Should I wait until I have the new phones before ordering plans?
Downtime while switching between plans?

Regards

remosha
Exetel Staff
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Starting Out

Post by remosha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

JB35 wrote:Firstly apologies if this information is clearly outlined elsewhere but I was unable to find it.

My situtation is the following - my wife and I both have older not smart phones with full size Sim cards and are looking to upgrade to smart phone, probably iPhone 5's, and change to an Exetel plan. She is on Optus pre-paid, I am on Optus post paid and we both wish to maintain our current numbers.

My understanding is we need to do the following in the following order-

1) Order/Buy new phones that are not locked into any network.
2) Complete Exetel Mobile Online Order Form with Nano Sim and "I would like to keep my current mobile number and port it to Exetel" for both my wife and I
3) Once Phones and Sims have been received, confirm successful porting of new to Exetel
4) Cancel older plans with Optus

Can some please confirm that I have not missed any key steps in the process and answer the following question -
5) I do not need to have a new phone to order plans?
6) Should I wait until I have the new phones before ordering plans?
7) Downtime while switching between plans?

Regards
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. You can contact Exetel during Business hours or activate the SIM card online.
4) Once the new SIM is fully active and functional, you may contact your previous provider to cancel the service.

5) and 6) Not necessarily.
7) There could be a possible downtime of 24 hours from the time you activate the new SIM card. Delays may occur if system issues are experienced.

Please check with your current provider if you are out of contract. If not, you may have to bear any applicable charges.

More information here: http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... _(Porting)

Please contact us on 02 8030 1000 should you require further information.

JB35
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Starting Out

Post by JB35 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for all that, makes it much clearer.

Is my number ported before I activate the new Sim card?
If I complete all the "paperwork" and order a sim but don't activate it, will my old Sim on another network continue to work?

Thanks

remosha
Exetel Staff
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Starting Out

Post by remosha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm

JB35 wrote:Thanks for all that, makes it much clearer.

Is my number ported before I activate the new Sim card?
If I complete all the "paperwork" and order a sim but don't activate it, will my old Sim on another network continue to work?

Thanks
The number will be ported once the SIM card is activated. You may keep using your existing service until you activate the SIM card issued by Exetel. There may be a downtime of 15 minutes to 24 hours.
It's best that you activate the SIM within 2 weeks from the time you receive it.

JB35
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Starting Out

Post by JB35 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

remosha thanks for clarify that. Means I can order the Mobile Services based on the expected phone deliver date and have the Sim cards ready to go once the phones arrive.

JB35
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Starting Out

Post by JB35 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:19 am

I am about to order a new mobile plans and port over my number and my partners number. Can I do this on the same order form or must I complete two forms?

remosha
Exetel Staff
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Starting Out

Post by remosha » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 pm

JB35 wrote:I am about to order a new mobile plans and port over my number and my partners number. Can I do this on the same order form or must I complete two forms?
Hi JB,

It seems like you've already placed the mobile orders. You should receive them within 3 - 4 Business days.

Post Reply