Reception issues with UK phones

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Post Reply
peter_mcc
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:39 am

Reception issues with UK phones

Post by peter_mcc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm

hi

We've got 2 UK Android phones and are having some reception problems. The phones (HTC Desire A8181 & HTC Legend) are meant to be 3G 900/2100 MHz ones - ie matching the Optus network.

We were in Falls Creek (VIC snowfields) a few weeks ago. When we were in the village the reception was fine. Once we went up to the ski fields there was no reception (ie a cross and "no signal"). Looking at the Optus coverage maps, it looks like the ski fields are covered by 900MHz not 2100MHz like the village.

This is the most obvious example I can find of what is happening. At other times we have a few bars of signal and can make voice calls but either
a) the phone keeps switching between data modes (HSPA/Edge/GPRS) and nothing much happens
b) the phone stays connected as HSPA or Edge and sends requests but never hears back (ie Android shows a flashing "up" arrow but no "down" arrows)

Either way it's really annoying to have many bars of service but not be able to access the data. Especially when I need to look at a map!

I realise there may be two issues here (coverage + data).

Questions:
- Does Exetel have access to the entire Optus network? ie all 900 & 2100 towers? I asked someone in an Optus store why their coverage was so useless and they said that some resellers only had access to a percentage of the towers
- If it's something with my phone, how can I work out what it is? I've looked but can't find anything to let me see what frequency the radio is using.
- Is the data problem something with Optus, Exetel, my phone or reception?

thanks
Peter

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Reception issues with UK phones

Post by jokiin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm

if you're on an Optus network then you have access to whatever is there, 900, 2100, it is not segregated as suggested

peter_mcc
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:39 am

Re: Reception issues with UK phones

Post by peter_mcc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 pm

jokiin wrote:if you're on an Optus network then you have access to whatever is there, 900, 2100, it is not segregated as suggested
Ok, so it looks like our phones aren't picking up the 900MHz towers for some reason. Any ideas on how we work out why?

User avatar
shoner
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Reception issues with UK phones

Post by shoner » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm

peter_mcc wrote:
jokiin wrote:if you're on an Optus network then you have access to whatever is there, 900, 2100, it is not segregated as suggested
Ok, so it looks like our phones aren't picking up the 900MHz towers for some reason. Any ideas on how we work out why?
There are many android apps out there which will tell you the frequency of the radio that is in use. I personally use this app to force a particular network mode when my data keeps switching between wcdma and Edge.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rch_result
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

peter_mcc
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:39 am

Re: Reception issues with UK phones

Post by peter_mcc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm

shoner wrote:There are many android apps out there which will tell you the frequency of the radio that is in use. I personally use this app to force a particular network mode when my data keeps switching between wcdma and Edge.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rch_result
I've just installed 5 or so - they all tell me the connection type (eg UMTS) and Cell Id but not the frequency used. Is there any way to find this out?

Post Reply