International Roaming / Data - Bad Policy

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
stealthben

International Roaming / Data - Bad Policy

Post by stealthben » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Before I was with exetel for my mobile plan I was with Optus. Every time I left the country I would simply turn my data off and when I took my phone out of flight mode I would connect to the local network and voila, everything worked. The current policy exetel has in place, whilst I can see where they are coming from, is not in any way user friendly. I work for an airline and spend literally half my life bouncing between Australia and Asia, the current policy where I have to log on and request international roaming activation (which turns all data off, even in Australia) is a serious pain, and not at all user friendly.

Are there any plans to change this policy? Are there any plans to make the request for activation immediate so there is no waiting for data to come back on once I get back into the country.

To date I have been very happy with all aspect of the Exetel mobile plan with exception of the global roaming / data issue, which I am less than impressed with.

Just for the record, I know the risk is a high data bill if I leave my data turned on overseas, however; I believe that should be my risk to take and not something Exetel should stand in the way of.
-BEN

udara
Exetel Staff

Re: International Roaming / Data - Bad Policy

Post by udara » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Ben,

We appreciate the situation that you are in, and whilst we endeavor to make our products and services as customer friendly and easy to use as possible, there are some restrictions and considerations to which Australian Telecommunication providers need to adhere to.

Some of these regulatory requirements require Exetel to limit the risk to our customers regarding international roaming charges and data usage.

We can report that we are currently in the process of reviewing all aspects of our Mobile and Mobile Broadband operations, which the aim of improving and streamlining many features and functions for our Customers.

We hope that this helps you to understand the framework that Exetel is requirement to operate within, but also appreciate that we are working hard to increase the ease of use and customer satisfaction with our mobile product suite.

We hope to see some user interface improvements being made available from January 2013.
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

stealthben

Post by stealthben » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Udara, thanks for the response. I completely appreciate the situation that exetel is in, however; the policy that exetel has chosen to follow is different to that of Telstra, Optus, etc which means the end result is that for those people who travel overseas a lot are faced with jumping through hurdles when they depart or arrive back into Australia that they would not otherwise be faced with if they were with another carrier. I can see that there has to be some sort of protection in place for those who are unfamiliar or susceptible to facing high data charges (and I appreciate that whilst your policy is a lot more restrictive that other carriers, it also protects me), but perhaps there would be a better solution if exetel could implement a system where users could request global roaming on AND data on but would have to physically sign a waiver that I understand the risks and would be responsible for any data charges overseas. Alternatively your current system would work if there was a way to turn global roaming / data on and off with immediate effect (I would suggest by setting up an automated phone line to do this, since most people wont have immediate access to data when they get back in the country to log onto a website to turn data back on).
-BEN

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 am

stealthben wrote:Hi Udara, thanks for the response. I completely appreciate the situation that exetel is in, however; the policy that exetel has chosen to follow is different to that of Telstra, Optus, etc which means the end result is that for those people who travel overseas a lot are faced with jumping through hurdles when they depart or arrive back into Australia that they would not otherwise be faced with if they were with another carrier. I can see that there has to be some sort of protection in place for those who are unfamiliar or susceptible to facing high data charges (and I appreciate that whilst your policy is a lot more restrictive that other carriers, it also protects me), but perhaps there would be a better solution if exetel could implement a system where users could request global roaming on AND data on but would have to physically sign a waiver that I understand the risks and would be responsible for any data charges overseas. Alternatively your current system would work if there was a way to turn global roaming / data on and off with immediate effect (I would suggest by setting up an automated phone line to do this, since most people wont have immediate access to data when they get back in the country to log onto a website to turn data back on).
A Project is scheduled to run with this as a focus point at a later time. There is no immediate change forthcoming.

We appreciate the feedback.
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 am

stealthben wrote:Hi Udara, thanks for the response. I completely appreciate the situation that exetel is in, however; the policy that exetel has chosen to follow is different to that of Telstra, Optus, etc which means the end result is that for those people who travel overseas a lot are faced with jumping through hurdles when they depart or arrive back into Australia that they would not otherwise be faced with if they were with another carrier. I can see that there has to be some sort of protection in place for those who are unfamiliar or susceptible to facing high data charges (and I appreciate that whilst your policy is a lot more restrictive that other carriers, it also protects me), but perhaps there would be a better solution if exetel could implement a system where users could request global roaming on AND data on but would have to physically sign a waiver that I understand the risks and would be responsible for any data charges overseas. Alternatively your current system would work if there was a way to turn global roaming / data on and off with immediate effect (I would suggest by setting up an automated phone line to do this, since most people wont have immediate access to data when they get back in the country to log onto a website to turn data back on).
I agree, it is quite frankly crap, and the back end is being rewritten so it is more user friendly.