Excess charges for using Optus service

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
drewey10

Excess charges for using Optus service

Post by drewey10 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 am

I hope someone can help me, I have had a text saying I will be charged $100 for using 65MB of downloads on the Optus network. I have a monthly $15 plan with Exetel, which has 1.5GB of downloads included. The only time I use the internet on this service is when I put the sim into my Glaxy tab to use when I'm out of the house. It just reads the sim & starts to work, I don't request to log onto Optus, wouldn't know how to.

If I have done this I have no idea how. I have sent an email to Exetel about this & will follow up with a call on Monday, I would prefer to call the Sydney office to discuss this rather than the call centre, does anyone have a number I could use there?

Meshal S
Exetel Staff

Re: Excess charges for using Optus service

Post by Meshal S » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm

We have sent a reply to the email you sent to us; our support department will continue to investigate this issue. Please ensure that you reply back to us with the details requested so that we can proceed.

drewey10

Post by drewey10 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm

So as a follow up, today I spoke with the tech dept. He took me to a place on my tablet that I had never been before. APN, it turns out that the Sim must have selected some Optus services (as it is an optus service at the end of the day), so it picked up an optus network, when the Sim was used for the inernet.

We fixed the issue so it can't happen again, but there is still no guarantee or infact a reply from the Billing Dept on my request to get rid of this $100 charge, which is for downloading 65MB only.

As with all users I'm guessing, we assume you put the Sim in the tablet & you are using the Sim & Exetel service, this is not the case, be aware.

I'm still hopefull that the billing Dept, (that you are not able to speak to) will rescind this charge in full. We are also still waiting for a refund for the 2 weeks our internet was down in Sept, we were promised this then, but it did not happen either.

Exetel, you should have a billing service that a human can speak to you.

I hope common sesnes will prevail.

Fahim S
Exetel Staff

Post by Fahim S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 am

Hi,

Your issue has been escalated and is looked into by the relevant department and you'll receive shortly.

Thank You.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm

drewey10 wrote:So as a follow up, today I spoke with the tech dept. He took me to a place on my tablet that I had never been before. APN, it turns out that the Sim must have selected some Optus services (as it is an optus service at the end of the day), so it picked up an optus network, when the Sim was used for the inernet.

We fixed the issue so it can't happen again, but there is still no guarantee or infact a reply from the Billing Dept on my request to get rid of this $100 charge, which is for downloading 65MB only.

As with all users I'm guessing, we assume you put the Sim in the tablet & you are using the Sim & Exetel service, this is not the case, be aware.

I'm still hopefull that the billing Dept, (that you are not able to speak to) will rescind this charge in full. We are also still waiting for a refund for the 2 weeks our internet was down in Sept, we were promised this then, but it did not happen either.

Exetel, you should have a billing service that a human can speak to you.

I hope common sesnes will prevail.
Why would we waive a fee that you incurred by not using the correct APN?

I'm sure we could reduce it to our cost.