4G

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
roby
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:18 am
Location: MELBOURNE

4G

Post by roby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

any idea on how much longer it will be for 4g plans to come online?

User avatar
remosha
Exetel Staff
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am
Location: Sydney

Re: 4G

Post by remosha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

roby wrote:any idea on how much longer it will be for 4g plans to come online?
The 4G Voice plans were scheduled to be released Mid October, but were also delayed by our Wholesale Partner. They are currently expected to be released towards mid next month.

User avatar
Mort
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 4G

Post by Mort » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Still no updates?

I'm keen to find out about this as well. I'd rather buy a new phone outright and get an Exetel plan, but without knowing what the 4G options are I can't make that decision. It seems like the plans Optus offer are the same regardless of the "G" you connect to. They don't have any different pricing or plans for 4G vs 3G that I can see.

Is there any reason why the service for Exetel would be different? If we have an Exetel "3G" plan on the Optus network, should it just work on 4G as well?
I know Optus recently announced they were reducing the amount of "resellers" they worked with, is this a reason for the delays with Exetel confirming 4G plans?
If I do get a new 3G plan now, what will be the implications if I want to switch to a 4G one when they are announced?

(Please don't say you are looking at 4G from Vodafone, hence the delay)
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: 4G

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:21 am

Have you seen this post: viewtopic.php?f=308&t=39944

As for your other questions, I would assume the same as you: that Exetel's 4G coverage is as per Optus's, without any differentiation in pricing, simply a different speed depending on whether your location supports 4G. [Edit: Seems that you do actually need a 4G specific plan. See below...]
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: 4G

Post by James » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 am

We activated our first test services in late December, this should be available to customers in January 2013.

User avatar
Mort
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 4G

Post by Mort » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 am

Is there anything people with existing 3g phone Sim plans need to do for 4g service or will it just work with 4g if available? The website still had 4g plans "coming soon", so does that imply 4g will only work if you have a specific 4g plan?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Sydney-Australia

Re: 4G

Post by Venurukshi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Mort wrote:Is there anything people with existing 3g phone Sim plans need to do for 4g service or will it just work with 4g if available? The website still had 4g plans "coming soon", so does that imply 4g will only work if you have a specific 4g plan?
Yes. This is correct. You need to go on a specific 4g plan to get 4g service.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: 4G

Post by James » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 pm

I will find out if you need a new sim.

ecky
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:43 pm

Re: 4G

Post by ecky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am

Any updates on when 4G Mobile Plans will be available?

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Sydney-Australia

Re: 4G

Post by Venurukshi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 pm

ecky wrote:Any updates on when 4G Mobile Plans will be available?
We currently do not have an ETA when these plans will be available.

pittsy
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Re: 4G

Post by pittsy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 pm

So now that exetel's 4g mobile phone service appears to be available, how do I change over?
I've looked at "mobile change plan" in my user area, but that lists heaps of plans and does not seem to clearly identify which are 3g or 4g plans... looks like I have to guess by price/features???
once a plan is selected there seems to be no option to order a micro/nano sim with a new plan anyway... so i assume it has to be ordered seperately?

Is there a simple easy way to go from my exetel 3g plan on my old handset to a 4g plan with a new micro sim for my new 4g lte handset and keep my number?

cheers
Geoff
Cecil

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Sydney-Australia

Re: 4G

Post by Venurukshi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:52 pm

pittsy wrote:So now that exetel's 4g mobile phone service appears to be available, how do I change over?
I've looked at "mobile change plan" in my user area, but that lists heaps of plans and does not seem to clearly identify which are 3g or 4g plans... looks like I have to guess by price/features???
once a plan is selected there seems to be no option to order a micro/nano sim with a new plan anyway... so i assume it has to be ordered seperately?

Is there a simple easy way to go from my exetel 3g plan on my old handset to a 4g plan with a new micro sim for my new 4g lte handset and keep my number?

cheers
Geoff
There is a System change that is still underway to add the new 4G Plans to the existing customer's Member Facilities at the moment. This is due to be completed by next week. Please bear with us until its completed and then you will be able to apply for a plan change.

pittsy
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Re: 4G

Post by pittsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Venurukshi wrote:
pittsy wrote:So now that exetel's 4g mobile phone service appears to be available, how do I change over?
I've looked at "mobile change plan" in my user area, but that lists heaps of plans and does not seem to clearly identify which are 3g or 4g plans... looks like I have to guess by price/features???
once a plan is selected there seems to be no option to order a micro/nano sim with a new plan anyway... so i assume it has to be ordered seperately?

Is there a simple easy way to go from my exetel 3g plan on my old handset to a 4g plan with a new micro sim for my new 4g lte handset and keep my number?

cheers
Geoff
There is a System change that is still underway to add the new 4G Plans to the existing customer's Member Facilities at the moment. This is due to be completed by next week. Please bear with us until its completed and then you will be able to apply for a plan change.
....thank you for the update... I'll keep my eye on the members facility
cheers :)
Geoff
Cecil

User avatar
Mort
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 4G

Post by Mort » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm curious why Exetel is still offering 3G plans separate to the 4G plans. The value for both is still extremely good, but I notice that Optus themselves just have one set of plans that provide a SIM that works with 3G or 4G (depending on your phone of course). Are the "3G only" plans going to be discontinued as it would be a shame to lose the really low cost 3G options.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: 4G

Post by James » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm

3G will be offered for years to come.

Post Reply