Poor Service on mobile phone data

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
FFH4500

Poor Service on mobile phone data

Post by FFH4500 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi all,

I am hoping this is something simple as an APN change but figured I would check here before hitting support up.

I ride my bike into work and back everyday. I use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet for incoming calls and to listen to streaming Radio. The issue I have is several drop outs between my place and work with the radio streaming. These drop outs are at various locations and the data stream is not great, 56k in fact. I have used a friends Telstra sim and had perfect streaming from home to work and back again and am puzzled as to why this cannot be achieved from Exetel and Optus?

Here are some details:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.2.1)
Travel details: Start at Warner QLD, travel along OLD Northern Rd through Albany CReek, Eatons Hill, Everton Park, Enoggera, Ashgrove on to Waterworks Rd, through Spring Hill down over the William Jolly Bridge into West End (work). The return trip is the same just in reverse. Now none of this trip would strike me as being rural and as mentioned before on the Telstra network have no issue's.
APN: YESINTERNET
Plan Details: $17.95/mth Medium Plan. $500.00 worth of Call and SMS value and 1000mb of included Data.

Now am I just expecting too much from the Optus network? I wouldn't have thought so but if this is the case please say so. I wouldn't have thought so though. Anyway just interested in feedback and if a change of APN would help.

Cheers.

HashiniA
Exetel Staff

Re: Poor Service on mobile phone data

Post by HashiniA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:34 pm

FFH4500 wrote:

I ride my bike into work and back everyday. I use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet for incoming calls and to listen to streaming Radio. The issue I have is several drop outs between my place and work with the radio streaming. These drop outs are at various locations and the data stream is not great, 56k in fact. I have used a friends Telstra sim and had perfect streaming from home to work and back again and am puzzled as to why this cannot be achieved from Exetel and Optus?

Here are some details:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.2.1)
Travel details: Start at Warner QLD, travel along OLD Northern Rd through Albany CReek, Eatons Hill, Everton Park, Enoggera, Ashgrove on to Waterworks Rd, through Spring Hill down over the William Jolly Bridge into West End (work). The return trip is the same just in reverse. Now none of this trip would strike me as being rural and as mentioned before on the Telstra network have no issue's.
APN: YESINTERNET
Plan Details: $17.95/mth Medium Plan. $500.00 worth of Call and SMS value and 1000mb of included Data.
Hi,

We will check on this and will get back to you.

Your reference number is 6934400.

FFH4500

Post by FFH4500 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi,

We will check on this and will get back to you.

Your reference number is 6934400.
Thank you HashiniA

FFH4500

Post by FFH4500 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm

So it's been a week since I posted on here. Hashini has been good in following up with me. Having said that, I still have poor service. I followed Hashini's recommendation and changed the APN to "internet" as "yesinternet" is for iphones and ipads etc. I have done some more testing. I can ride around most places with a Telstra SIM and have good quality streaming data on my phone for the radio. In fact of the 300klm's ridden over the weekend between Warner, Redcliffe, Kalangure and West End (Yesterday) I had 1 dropout with Telstra. Doing the same ride today with the Optus SIM I was getting a dropout every 10mins or so.

As the saying goes, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price. Whilst I realize this is not Exetel's fault, I have a commercial relationship with Exetel and if this is not fixed soon I will expect my contract to be cancelled and I will go with a Telstra provider. :evil:

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi FFH4500,

We are still investigating this matter with Optus and will keep you updated.

Thanks

Gob

Post by Gob » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm very interested to know if you got any kind of resolution to this. It seems to me the data service in general is extremely poor.
I have been also complaining of the same sort of thing for about the last 6 months and generally just given the royal run around and told it's my handset, try another with your sim and all this garbage.
This last weekend the data service ground to a complete halt and I mean Complete Halt!!
This also affects SMS's to and fro.

Hope to hear from you

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Gob wrote:I'm very interested to know if you got any kind of resolution to this. It seems to me the data service in general is extremely poor.
I have been also complaining of the same sort of thing for about the last 6 months and generally just given the royal run around and told it's my handset, try another with your sim and all this garbage.
This last weekend the data service ground to a complete halt and I mean Complete Halt!!
This also affects SMS's to and fro.

Hope to hear from you
Kindly update the thread with your Exetel ticket reference number or PM me the service details for further check on this.