Can't send emails from iPhone using Optus - on Exetel M15

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Farid

Can't send emails from iPhone using Optus - on Exetel M15

Post by Farid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

Hi. My mobile service is with Exetel (M15 plan), and I notice that service provider is in fact Optus. If the wifi is turned off on my iPhone (4), and the primary outgoing server is smtp.optusnet.com.au, I cannot send emails!

SSL is off, and Port is 25.

If the outgoing server is smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au and the wifi is turned on, then of course I can send emails through the Exetel server at home. But I'd like to be able to send emails when I'm using my phone where I don't have access to the Exetel server (i.e., anywhere but home!)
Can you please tell me what I have to do?
Farid

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Re: Can't send emails from iPhone using Optus - on Exetel M1

Post by lasithah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:50 am

Farid wrote:Hi. My mobile service is with Exetel (M15 plan), and I notice that service provider is in fact Optus. If the wifi is turned off on my iPhone (4), and the primary outgoing server is smtp.optusnet.com.au, I cannot send emails!

SSL is off, and Port is 25.

If the outgoing server is smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au and the wifi is turned on, then of course I can send emails through the Exetel server at home. But I'd like to be able to send emails when I'm using my phone where I don't have access to the Exetel server (i.e., anywhere but home!)
Can you please tell me what I have to do?
Farid
Hi Farid,

The outgoing mail server you need to use while on Mobile Data is mail.optusnet.com.au (not smtp.optusnet..) for Exetel WiFi connection it should be smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au 8)

Farid

Post by Farid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Iasithah,

I've tried everything before, and after reading your message, decided to delete the old email account and start afresh with a new account and using 'mail.optusnet.com.au' as the outgoing server [when not connected to Wifi], and as before, when I try to send an email using the new account, the following message is shown on the screen: The connection to the outgoing server "mail.optusnet.com.au" failed. Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

I received this message many times in the past when trying to use this outgoing server. There was no problem till 2 days ago, and I haven't done anything new in the past 2 days. I have no problem receiving emails of course.

Farid

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:41 pm

I've tried everything before, and after reading your message, decided to delete the old email account and start afresh with a new account and using 'mail.optusnet.com.au' as the outgoing server [when not connected to Wifi], and as before, when I try to send an email using the new account, the following message is shown on the screen: The connection to the outgoing server "mail.optusnet.com.au" failed. Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
Have you set mail.optusnet.com.au as your Primary Server for outgoing mail? If not please set it to that. Generally this error comes up when you have not done so.

Also double check if the outgoing mail server is entered with '.' instead of ','

Port is 25 and SSL should be turned off.

Try a restart on the phone as well and if this does not work please email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your mobile number so that we can look into it further as it may be an issue that we need to raise with Optus.

Farid

Post by Farid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Tried all that, and it didn't work! So, am going to send an email to the address you gave me.
Thanks.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Farid wrote:Tried all that, and it didn't work! So, am going to send an email to the address you gave me.
Thanks.
Received your email. Will get this investigated further. Your ticket ID is 7116524.