Excessive data usage while on wifi

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
andrewpontes

Excessive data usage while on wifi

Post by andrewpontes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi There,

I am wondering why one of my mobiles are being charged data usage while being on wifi. It is an ipHone 5, wifi is on, LTE was on, and I am sure the phone did not go out of the wifi coverage. Today, 24/09, the data usage between 3am and 10 am was over 40mb and the phone was always on wifi.

Is it possible to investigate further ? I am already over my data limit, so I need to know what's going on to avoid further excess data bills.

The mobile is the one ending in ...916.

Thanks,

angelos
Exetel Staff

Re: Excessive data usage while on wifi

Post by angelos » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 pm

andrewpontes wrote:Hi There,

I am wondering why one of my mobiles are being charged data usage while being on wifi. It is an ipHone 5, wifi is on, LTE was on, and I am sure the phone did not go out of the wifi coverage. Today, 24/09, the data usage between 3am and 10 am was over 40mb and the phone was always on wifi.

Is it possible to investigate further ? I am already over my data limit, so I need to know what's going on to avoid further excess data bills.

The mobile is the one ending in ...916.

Thanks,
It is normal for a phone to use mobile data even while connected to wifi. You may try disabling mobile data on the phone and check if this happens.

If you are already over the data limit it would be advised that you disable mobile data till the next months allowance.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am

What you have described is a normal situation, my Iphone routinely drops its WIFI signal and uses cellular.

andrewpontes

Post by andrewpontes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi James,

I would consider it normal if it was for small amount of data, but just in one occasion wifi drop costed me nearly 50% of my monthly data usage quota. I read some Apple forums saying this is a known issue on iPhone 5. I have to test it with iOS 7 to check if the issue is resolved, but until the end of the month I will have to do the annoying task of turning 3G on and off.