iPhone Tethering

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Lawrie

iPhone Tethering

Post by Lawrie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:33 am

I have attempted to activate Tethering on two of the Z15 mobile services under my account, for my children, but I get the following error message from the members facility page
"Client 800011 The Rate Plan provided is not available for this Dealer Transaction Failed - Please try later"

Can you please assist.
Eventually I want to allow this on three Z15 services. One is a iPhone 4S, one is an iPhone 5 and the other is an iPhone 5C. All are running iOS7

Also I would like to confirm that these mobile serves are using the correct APN "YESINTERNET" as the APN is not visible to view.

Lawrie

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: iPhone Tethering

Post by ShaminG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:13 am

Hi Lawrie,

Could you kindly PM me the 3 mobile numbers, so tethering can be enabled.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Lawrie wrote:I have attempted to activate Tethering on two of the Z15 mobile services under my account, for my children
I'm not an expert in iPhone tethering, but have you considered just enabling a wifi hotspot instead? This keep the phone itself connected via 3G as per normal and broadcasts a custom named wifi SSID for you to connect any nearby devices (such as the laptop itself, or other tablets, etc).

I find such connections are much more flexible (can connect multiple clients), much easier to establish (don't need tethering to be activated), and don't suffer from any issues of alternate data usage pricing. Plus, if the phone is to be tethered anyway, then it is receiving power from the laptop hence battery drain isn't an issue.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Corey
before the "enabling a enabling a wifi hotspot" setting is available in your iPhone, Exetel has to allow it via the activate tethering section on the Member's Facility page.

I have NO IDEA what is different about an iPhone vs ANY other smartphone which requires this to be activated. The Android and Windows smartphones that we have owned all allowed WIFI Hotspot as a standard feature.

In this case once Exetel activated Tethering for our iPhones, the enabling a wifi hotspot setting in the iPhone is no longer greyed out and we can turn it on.....

go figure..

Lawrie

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

Lawrie wrote:before the "enabling a enabling a wifi hotspot" setting is available in your iPhone, Exetel has to allow it via the activate tethering section on the Member's Facility page.

I have NO IDEA what is different about an iPhone vs ANY other smartphone which requires this to be activated. The Android and Windows smartphones that we have owned all allowed WIFI Hotspot as a standard feature.

In this case once Exetel activated Tethering for our iPhones, the enabling a wifi hotspot setting in the iPhone is no longer greyed out and we can turn it on.....

go figure..
Wow! Really!!?

That is just a phenomenally draconian measure that has been implemented by Apple, perhaps in conjunction with the carrier. As you say, Android and Windows smartphones just allow hotspots as standard features.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am

Some carriers don't want the hot spot feature to be avaialble, that way a customer needs to buy another sim card/mobile broadband plan for the extra device......

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 am

James wrote:Some carriers don't want the hot spot feature to be avaialble, that way a customer needs to buy another sim card/mobile broadband plan for the extra device......
That's what I assumed. But I still find it bizarre that Apple would implement the wi-fi hotspot in a way that honoured this desire of the carrier. As has been said, Android and Windows seem to implement it in a way that the data usage is completely indistinguishable to the carrier.

Reminds me of a new year joke that I saw: "Happy 2014! Or as Apple might put it, Happy 2013S!"