data blocked on mobile plan

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
basshead

data blocked on mobile plan

Post by basshead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Perhaps a couple of months ago, I've been unable to transfer/connect internet data with my mobile account. The phone is a Motorola Defy but I don't believe the phone is at fault, as I've tried two different phones, and I've never had this problem (for approx. 18 months until the last couple of months). An example is facebook notifications/updates, and other APPs which have normally worked without problem, now only working when at home, within range of the Wi-Fi (ie: many facebook notifications come through consecutively moments after arriving home).

As I mentioned; I have "wi-fi" set up (as preference when I'm within range of the home modem, but when out of range, data is transmitted via mobile/SIM account). I've gone through the phone settings and ensured "data" is "ON". I've even reset the phone to factory defaults and re-adjusted the settings on both phones.

Based on the above, I'm sure it's an issue with the SIM card/account but thought I'd post here in the chance it's a known issue or experienced by others before raising a fault ticket.

I don't think it's a mobile plan issue as I don't ever get near the 1GB "countable" data allocation associated with my plan.

basshead

Re: data blocked on mobile plan

Post by basshead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 pm

I may have solved it (but wont know until I try from away from home)...

http://ausdroid.net/apns/#exetel

(Doesn't explain why it stopped working all by itself though - unless the setting was lost/corrupted somehow).

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm

I have checked the mobile service and was able to see that the APNs have been provisioned correctly.

If at all it was not working could have been the settings on the mobile.

Let us know if you are unable to browse when you're not home.

basshead

Post by basshead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. After my second post above, I noticed the APN was set to "optuszoo" and may be worth mentioning the "new" (relative's old) phone was previously "locked" to Telstra. I've added the exetel APN and will see how that goes tomorrow. I'm now using the "old" phone (which the data initially stopped working apparently all by itself) with another SIM card (which doesn't have data access permitted anyway). I just replaced the screen in this phone and wonder if dropping it enough to smash the glass was enough to cause other internal damage (the GPS also ceased to work around the same time data access stopped working).

edit: went for a walk and it's still not working with the exetel APN selected. I've changed to another of the Optus APNs (it's an OPTUS HSPA SIM card) and will try again tomorrow.
Last edited by basshead on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 pm

A suggestion I could make is to remove all other APNs but the Exetel APN(s).

This generally helps. :)

basshead

Post by basshead » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Seems to be fixed - only it's on the optus APN and not the exetel APN...

More testing to confirm...

edit: Yes it's working 100% now. Still on the Optus APN too.