No service

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
patara

No service

Post by patara » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi, on at least 2 occasions over the past fortnight my mobile [Optus] has had no service. The two times that I'm aware of happened when I was on Strathfield Station and lasted for at least 30 mins. It could have happened more often, as I don't use my phone a lot, but those are the 2 times I tried to make calls. Both times it was extremely important I had contact with the family and I had to resort to asking another passenger if I could borrow their phone and on the 2nd occasion I had to use the public phone on the platform. The 2nd time was on Friday 21st. I saw there was no network at 8:45 am and it did not come back on until approx 9:15 am, by which time I was in the Dulwich Hill area. During that time my family sent me approx 5 messages trying to make contact. They all came in once it connected.
Is there a way to find out if this is/was a Network problem or something wrong with my phone. It has never happened when I use the phone at home.
Thanks.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Re: No service

Post by angelos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 pm

patara wrote:Hi, on at least 2 occasions over the past fortnight my mobile [Optus] has had no service. The two times that I'm aware of happened when I was on Strathfield Station and lasted for at least 30 mins. It could have happened more often, as I don't use my phone a lot, but those are the 2 times I tried to make calls. Both times it was extremely important I had contact with the family and I had to resort to asking another passenger if I could borrow their phone and on the 2nd occasion I had to use the public phone on the platform. The 2nd time was on Friday 21st. I saw there was no network at 8:45 am and it did not come back on until approx 9:15 am, by which time I was in the Dulwich Hill area. During that time my family sent me approx 5 messages trying to make contact. They all came in once it connected.
Is there a way to find out if this is/was a Network problem or something wrong with my phone. It has never happened when I use the phone at home.
Thanks.
We would generally recommend checking this sim card on an unlocked mobile phone and check if the issue persists. You can monitor the service for a few days with the same routine.

It could be that the mobile may go out of a mobile reception area and find it difficult to reconnect when it comes back to an area with connectivity.

patara

Post by patara » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was travelling down from the Central Coast and I know in places the reception does drop out around the Hawkesbury area.
I have another old phone, so I will charge it and take with me as a tester in case it happens again but first I'll reboot the phone next time and see if that fixes it. I didn't think of doing this before. My mobile is an older model Nokia, perhaps it needs replacing.

patara

Post by patara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 pm

The dropout issue has continued on my trips to the city and so my son bought me a new phone. I received today but found my SIM card doesn't fit. He got a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and it only takes a Micro SIM card. Who do I contact to get a new SIM posted out to me? I'm on the lowest plan and I hope that's still OK as can't afford a higher one. Thanks.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:11 pm

patara wrote:The dropout issue has continued on my trips to the city and so my son bought me a new phone. I received today but found my SIM card doesn't fit. He got a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and it only takes a Micro SIM card. Who do I contact to get a new SIM posted out to me? I'm on the lowest plan and I hope that's still OK as can't afford a higher one. Thanks.
You can log in to your member's facilities to order a replacement SIM card. Once logged in, go to Services & Usage -> Manage -> SIM Swap.

Let us know if you need further assistance :)

patara

Post by patara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks. I had a look, and I presume I would need to choose the Combo SIM. Is that correct?

kasunr
Exetel Staff

Post by kasunr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:19 am

patara wrote:Thanks. I had a look, and I presume I would need to choose the Combo SIM. Is that correct?
Hi patara,

Yes that is correct. You will need to order a Combo SIM if you need a Micro SIM. But we normally advice you to double check with the mobile phone manufacturer to confirm the SIM card type that your mobile handset requires.

Cheers!

patara

Post by patara » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:28 am

OK. In the Quick Start Guide that came with the phone it says "Insert the SIM or USIM card provided by the mobile telephone service provider" and then states "Only MicroSIM cards work with the device", so I would presume that is correct.
I opened it and there are 2 spots under the battery, 1 bigger than the other, the smaller spot looks like it has MicroSIM written on it, and the larger USIM.
The SIM card in my old Nokia, does not look like a Micro SIM to me, it is bigger. I presume it is the standard size. I've had it for a few years, probably from when my service started.
Sorry, I'm not into phones and have no one here to ask.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:38 am

patara wrote:OK. In the Quick Start Guide that came with the phone it says "Insert the SIM or USIM card provided by the mobile telephone service provider" and then states "Only MicroSIM cards work with the device", so I would presume that is correct.
I opened it and there are 2 spots under the battery, 1 bigger than the other, the smaller spot looks like it has MicroSIM written on it, and the larger USIM.
The SIM card in my old Nokia, does not look like a Micro SIM to me, it is bigger. I presume it is the standard size. I've had it for a few years, probably from when my service started.
Sorry, I'm not into phones and have no one here to ask.
According to the following, http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9190_g ... i-5375.php the phone is a dual sim phone but make no mention if it is Micro Sim or not.

However, the combo sim is the normal size sim card, but the micro sim can be broken off it, so once you receive the sim card, you may choose whichever size that fits you.

We can however confirm that it does not use a nano sim which is smaller than a micro sim as well and is the other sim option available.

patara

Post by patara » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:51 pm

OK, thanks. I will order it. From what the page says there is a charge of $20, but I will need one to be able to use the phone.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm

patara wrote:OK, thanks. I will order it. From what the page says there is a charge of $20, but I will need one to be able to use the phone.
The charge is applicable for a sim replacement.