Can't receive calls or txts from Telstra or Vodafone

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
BROokmathews

Can't receive calls or txts from Telstra or Vodafone

Post by BROokmathews » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:27 pm

**** This issue has now been resolved ****

I have a very odd problem. My mobile phone service was ported from Telstra back to Exetel (Optus) recently. The port didn't go smoothly, but did seem to be fixed up in the end. Now I'm not so sure.

I've discovered that, while I can call or text to anybody on Optus, Telstra or Vodafone, I can only receive incoming calls or texts from other Optus users. The Telstra/Vodafone users go straight to voicemail when they try to call me. Don't know what happens to their texts - they just end up in the ether.

Any ideas?
Last edited by BROokmathews on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BROokmathews

Re: Can't receive calls or txts from Telstra or Vodafone

Post by BROokmathews » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:43 pm

An update: After a couple of calls to Exetel Support, who escalated it to Optus Wholesale, they advise that there is a routing problem with my service, and they will contact me once the problem has been rectified.

Soon after hanging up (via my landline) from Support I noticed that now the mobile has no service, despite the phone showing 3 bars of signal strength. I tried to manually reconnect to the 'Yes Optus' network but now it says 'Unable to connect - try later'.

I'd like to think that this is a temporary symptom of technicians working on my problem, but I really don't know... :|

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:15 pm

BROokmathews wrote:I'd like to think that this is a temporary symptom of technicians working on my problem, but I really don't know... :|
We hope this is the case. We are currently waiting on an update from our Supplier. An update will be provided to you once it is made available to us.

BROokmathews

Post by BROokmathews » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks Angelos.

Just FYI, still no network connection yet (9:30pm on Christmas Eve). Probably not going to happen tonight! :)

devindag
Exetel Staff

Post by devindag » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:33 am

BROokmathews wrote:Thanks Angelos.

Just FYI, still no network connection yet (9:30pm on Christmas Eve). Probably not going to happen tonight! :)
Please PM me your service number/Customer ID so that we could look in to this further

BROokmathews

Post by BROokmathews » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Devinda, I PM'd you yesterday.
Still no service.
Zero feedback from Exetel.
What is going on?

devindag
Exetel Staff

Post by devindag » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:06 pm

BROokmathews wrote:Devinda, I PM'd you yesterday.
Still no service.
Zero feedback from Exetel.
What is going on?
apologies for the delay in response. This issue is being currently looked in to via the reference number 9763087 and we will update you as soon as we receive an update.

BROokmathews

Post by BROokmathews » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:38 pm

I think that at this point I need to document in full the story so far:

- 9 November - I order a port of my service to Exetel (from Telstra).
- 17 November - I got an email from Provisioning to advise that porting had failed. I made a number of calls to Provisioning, who kept telling me that the Date of Birth I provided was incorrect for that service number. That is, it did not match what Telstra had in their database for that service number. I found this odd given that the Telstra account was a post-paid one, which I thought were identified by account number, not DOB. Anyway, I duly checked the DOB, which was correct. I then contacted Telstra to verify the DOB.
PROBLEM: I was porting from a business account, and the account holder was my employer, not me. So, I had to go through my employer to move my service from their account to a personal account that was in my name. Having done that - and received a brand new Telstra SIM in the mail along with my new account details - I again applied to Exetel to port the service across.
- 14 December - Having finally been advised by Exetel that the port was successful (REMEMBER THIS!), I inserted the new SIM and...nothing.
- 15 December - Lots more calls to Exetel Support, who were at a loss to explain why the SIM wouldn't connect to the Optus network. Finally, one of the Support Staff suggested that there might be something wrong with the SIM, so I should order a SIM swap. So, I did this. Then, probably within an our of doing this I get a call from someone else at Exetel to advise that they had figured out the problem - and by modifying the 'service profile' they fixed the problem and it should be working now. Sure enough, the phone was now connected to OPTUS. YES!!!
- 23 December - After about a week of using the phone I realise that there is a problem. While I could call anybody in my contacts, I could not receive calls or texts from anyone on the Telstra or Vodafone mobile networks. I speak to someone at Exetel who patronizingly tells me that my problem is not possible, but he'll "look into it anyway".
- 24 December - Once again, no contact from Exetel, so I give them a call and once again describe the problem. This time someone speaks to a person in Optus who identifies it as a 'routing problem' and undertake to fix it up. WITHIN ONE HOUR of this phone call my mobile phone was disconnected from the Optus network and remains so some 6 days (and counting) later.
- 28 December - another call to Exetel (because of course they wouldn't bother to call me) and I am advised that the problem is that the original port was in fact unsuccessful, and that they'll have to action it again.
- 30 December - I finally get an unsolicited call from Exetel to give me an update! The advice, however, is baffling. They advise that the mobile service is still with Telstra because the port keeps getting rejected because "the provided account number and/or Date of Birth do not match what Telstra has in their database". That's right - we're back to where we started on 17 November!

But wait! I WAS activated on Exetel. I WAS connected to the OPTUS network for 9 days! How could this be? What was the status of my service between 15 December and 24 December?

I don't know. Should I give up? I've had this service number for 20 years. That's the only reason why I'm persisting with this farce.

BROokmathews

Post by BROokmathews » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:57 pm

- 30 December - As per my phone conversation with Exetel provisioning, I once again called Telstra and got them to confirm the account number and DOB for my service. Needless to say, they were exactly what I thought they were.

As an idle thought, I inserted the old Telstra SIM back into the phone, and what do you know. It works. I'm back on Telstra!

I took another look at the notes I made from that phone conversation with Exetel provisioning. The account number they tried in their last port was not correct! It was the original account number, from when my service was with my employer. Ahah! That must be the cause of the problem. So, I emailed provisioning. Here's my email (with personal details redacted)...
"Hi,

Earlier today I was advised by someone in Provisioning that my service port had failed because the Telstra account number was incorrect. The caller indicated that the account number that they had supplied to Telstra in the port request was 409****54.
That is not the account number I gave Exetel. The correct Telstra account details are as follows:
- Account number: 20005****9309
- Date of Birth: **************

Could you please resubmit the port request with the above account number?"

31 December - I get an email from Provisioning. Once more I'm baffled. Here's what it said...

"Please advise us if you have gained the porting Account number or the Date of birth from your previous provider Telstra as telephone conversation we had yesterday."

It appears that they replied to me without reading my email. Of course I did! That's why I emailed you with the new account number!

:roll:

BROokmathews

Post by BROokmathews » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 am

:D
Phone is connected! Yes!

In the end the port just had to be retried with the correct account number PLUS with a new SIM (apparently the first SIM had been rejected so many times that the Optus network just disabled it).

Anyway, I think that this is the end of the story. My new year's resolution is simple:

I would really like to go through all of 2016 without having to call Exetel Support. And I think that the staff at Exetel Support would agree with me there. :mrgreen: