International roaming charges

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
brenroy

International roaming charges

Post by brenroy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Could someone enlighten me on why when I travel overseas I come back with roaming charges on my account for the number 8880000000000 or something similar? I turn data roaming off on the phone and last time turned off data completely. I also turned off iMessage (I'm using an iPhone). I do not make phone calls while overseas, I only have the phone on to receive sms messages (which are not charged). Phone calls are directed too voicemail. I may send one or two SMS messages but they show up on the account with the relevant number they were sent to. Why do I always get these other charges? Some are charged at 50cents, some are $1 and some are free. Can someone please explain these charges, I have rung Billing but I only get told they are roaming charges, no clear explanation.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: International roaming charges

Post by Kaushalya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm

brenroy wrote:Could someone enlighten me on why when I travel overseas I come back with roaming charges on my account for the number 8880000000000 or something similar? I turn data roaming off on the phone and last time turned off data completely. I also turned off iMessage (I'm using an iPhone). I do not make phone calls while overseas, I only have the phone on to receive sms messages (which are not charged). Phone calls are directed too voicemail. I may send one or two SMS messages but they show up on the account with the relevant number they were sent to. Why do I always get these other charges? Some are charged at 50cents, some are $1 and some are free. Can someone please explain these charges, I have rung Billing but I only get told they are roaming charges, no clear explanation.
We will look in this matter and respond to you shortly.

rodnrob

Post by rodnrob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 pm

Good question! I have had the same mystery charges in June this year whilst overseas - $240 odd in "international roaming" to "Destinations" like "888000000000" & "9990000000xxx" of zero duration & no data (kB) info. I feel quite sure my mobile data was OFF during the visit, and my phone's data usage record roughly agrees with Exetel's domestic charges for the period. So far Exetel will only say the charges are for international data, with no evidence of kB's or servers. I await further explaination from Exetel!

sankap
Exetel Staff

Post by sankap » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi there,

Please find below an explanation on how roaming charges work and how the charges are displayed.

If the customer sends an SMS or uses a Data product (including MMS) the following will appear in the record:
For SMS: 888 followed by 10 zeros;
For GPRS & MMS: 999NNNNNNNNNN where, NNNNNNNNNN = volume in 10 Kilobyte increments, for example: ―9990000000010
Note: this information is not always supplied by the overseas carrier and is therefore not always populated.

Please find below an explanation on SMS billing when roaming.

For every roaming SMS, there should be a corresponding domestic charge received. The foreign carrier charges for sending the SMS over their network & the standard Optus SMS charges also apply. The timestamp of the roaming SMS call record is based on the local time of the overseas network. The domestic SMS is based on local Australian time. The Domestic component of the Roaming SMS charge will show the destination number.

If the customer sends an SMS the destination number will be shown and charged for it separately.
888 followed by 10 zeros is the roaming part of an sms sent and will be charged separately.
https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Please find an example below from your records. Both of these are for one SMS sent.

2017-07-01 10:55:50 04XXXXXXXX 8880000000000 SMS International Roaming 00:00:00 $0.80
2017-07-01 11:55:50 04XXXXXXXX 04XXXXXXXX SMS SMS 00:00:01 $0.50

Times will be different as the roaming part will be time in the roaming country.