Page 1 of 1

International roaming charges

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 pm
by brenroy
Could someone enlighten me on why when I travel overseas I come back with roaming charges on my account for the number 8880000000000 or something similar? I turn data roaming off on the phone and last time turned off data completely. I also turned off iMessage (I'm using an iPhone). I do not make phone calls while overseas, I only have the phone on to receive sms messages (which are not charged). Phone calls are directed too voicemail. I may send one or two SMS messages but they show up on the account with the relevant number they were sent to. Why do I always get these other charges? Some are charged at 50cents, some are $1 and some are free. Can someone please explain these charges, I have rung Billing but I only get told they are roaming charges, no clear explanation.

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm
by Kaushalya
brenroy wrote:Could someone enlighten me on why when I travel overseas I come back with roaming charges on my account for the number 8880000000000 or something similar? I turn data roaming off on the phone and last time turned off data completely. I also turned off iMessage (I'm using an iPhone). I do not make phone calls while overseas, I only have the phone on to receive sms messages (which are not charged). Phone calls are directed too voicemail. I may send one or two SMS messages but they show up on the account with the relevant number they were sent to. Why do I always get these other charges? Some are charged at 50cents, some are $1 and some are free. Can someone please explain these charges, I have rung Billing but I only get told they are roaming charges, no clear explanation.
We will look in this matter and respond to you shortly.

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 pm
by rodnrob
Good question! I have had the same mystery charges in June this year whilst overseas - $240 odd in "international roaming" to "Destinations" like "888000000000" & "9990000000xxx" of zero duration & no data (kB) info. I feel quite sure my mobile data was OFF during the visit, and my phone's data usage record roughly agrees with Exetel's domestic charges for the period. So far Exetel will only say the charges are for international data, with no evidence of kB's or servers. I await further explaination from Exetel!

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:09 pm
by sankap
Hi there,

Please find below an explanation on how roaming charges work and how the charges are displayed.

If the customer sends an SMS or uses a Data product (including MMS) the following will appear in the record:
For SMS: 888 followed by 10 zeros;
For GPRS & MMS: 999NNNNNNNNNN where, NNNNNNNNNN = volume in 10 Kilobyte increments, for example: ―9990000000010
Note: this information is not always supplied by the overseas carrier and is therefore not always populated.

Please find below an explanation on SMS billing when roaming.

For every roaming SMS, there should be a corresponding domestic charge received. The foreign carrier charges for sending the SMS over their network & the standard Optus SMS charges also apply. The timestamp of the roaming SMS call record is based on the local time of the overseas network. The domestic SMS is based on local Australian time. The Domestic component of the Roaming SMS charge will show the destination number.

If the customer sends an SMS the destination number will be shown and charged for it separately.
888 followed by 10 zeros is the roaming part of an sms sent and will be charged separately.
https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Please find an example below from your records. Both of these are for one SMS sent.

2017-07-01 10:55:50 04XXXXXXXX 8880000000000 SMS International Roaming 00:00:00 $0.80
2017-07-01 11:55:50 04XXXXXXXX 04XXXXXXXX SMS SMS 00:00:01 $0.50

Times will be different as the roaming part will be time in the roaming country.

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm
by Marf
Hi, I have a similar query as I hope to be going overseas later in the year & want to use my phone to receive banking SMS only.

Before leaving oz I will divert all calls to voicemail with a temporary message (I am unavailable, please call my neighbour & don't kick my door in etc as I am not answering as I am away etc) so the phone will not ring if switched on while overseas.

Will this incur any costs as I don't plan on sending SMS, making any phone calls, I may get somebody in oz to retrieve any voicemail messages?

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:12 pm
by nicoler
Marf wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm
Hi, I have a similar query as I hope to be going overseas later in the year & want to use my phone to receive banking SMS only.

Before leaving oz I will divert all calls to voicemail with a temporary message (I am unavailable, please call my neighbour & don't kick my door in etc as I am not answering as I am away etc) so the phone will not ring if switched on while overseas.

Will this incur any costs as I don't plan on sending SMS, making any phone calls, I may get somebody in oz to retrieve any voicemail messages?
HI

Kindly click on the following link with regards to roaming charges.If you are not sending SMS or making any outgoing calls while roaming, you will not be charged.

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Kind Regards
Nicole

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 am
by Marf
nicoler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Marf wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm
Hi, I have a similar query as I hope to be going overseas later in the year & want to use my phone to receive banking SMS only.

Before leaving oz I will divert all calls to voicemail with a temporary message (I am unavailable, please call my neighbour & don't kick my door in etc as I am not answering as I am away etc) so the phone will not ring if switched on while overseas.

Will this incur any costs as I don't plan on sending SMS, making any phone calls, I may get somebody in oz to retrieve any voicemail messages?
HI

Kindly click on the following link with regards to roaming charges.If you are not sending SMS or making any outgoing calls while roaming, you will not be charged.

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Kind Regards
Nicole


Not sure if I understand it correctly.

I followed the link & it says voicemail attracts charges when a message is left.

Is this true as I am looking at diverting all calls to voicemail while still in Australia so once overseas the phone will not ring if turned on?

If I was overseas during the recent election campaign I would of had all these computer calls fill my voicemail & having to pay for this is a bit off putting.

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
by nicoler
Not sure if I understand it correctly.

I followed the link & it says voicemail attracts charges when a message is left.

Is this true as I am looking at diverting all calls to voicemail while still in Australia so once overseas the phone will not ring if turned on?

[/quote]

HI

Yes, If you will be charged to receive voice calls when roaming is switched on.

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Kind Regards

Nicole

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm
by Marf
nicoler wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Not sure if I understand it correctly.

I followed the link & it says voicemail attracts charges when a message is left.

Is this true as I am looking at diverting all calls to voicemail while still in Australia so once overseas the phone will not ring if turned on?
HI

Yes, If you will be charged to receive voice calls when roaming is switched on.

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Kind Regards

Nicole
[/quote]

I didn't expect that as I the phone would only be on for less than 5 minutes a day.

Anyway I will be off to either Vodafone Telstra or Optus which I didn't really want to do.

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm
by Marf
Marf wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm
nicoler wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Not sure if I understand it correctly.

I followed the link & it says voicemail attracts charges when a message is left.

Is this true as I am looking at diverting all calls to voicemail while still in Australia so once overseas the phone will not ring if turned on?
HI

Yes, If you will be charged to receive voice calls when roaming is switched on.

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Kind Regards

Nicole
I didn't expect that as I the phone would only be on for less than 5 minutes a day.

Anyway I will be off to either Vodafone Telstra or Optus which I didn't really want to do.
[/quote]

I checked with person in Optus store & they said there was no charge as long as I divert all calls (unconditional divert) to voicemail before leaving Australia, mind you I don't trust these sales reps so I did a bit more looking around.

I got the following from the Optus website, the way I understand it whether there is 1 minute or 200 minutes of voicemail messages there would be no charges as call is diverted, can you check this out & confirm?

Thanks
CAN I CHECK MY VOICEMAIL WHILE OVERSEAS?
Yes, to get your VoiceMail messages, dial +61 4 11 000 321 and follow the prompts. It will cost the standard call rate for the country that you are in to retrieve your VoiceMail. You will need your account PIN to access your VoiceMail while roaming, so make sure you have it handy.

Note
If you have any incoming calls diverted to VoiceMail (on busy or no reply), you may be charged the normal call rate to receive the call and again to divert that call to your VoiceMail box in Australia. It’s $1.50 per minute if you are in Zone 1 or 2. See Zone 1 and 2 destinations here

To avoid additional roaming charges, we recommend that you disable Call Waiting and set up Call Forwarding of all incoming calls to VoiceMail, before you leave Australia .

If you want to avoid receiving any incoming calls you can set an "unconditional" diversion (divert all incoming calls), to VoiceMail so that your phone does not receive any calls while travelling overseas. To set up an unconditional diversion dial **21*0411000321#, before you leave Australia. To cancel this when you return, dial ##002#. To set back to VoiceMail dial **004*0411000321#. (These commands will not work when you are roaming overseas).

Re: International roaming charges

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm
by taniya
Hi,

Please be advised that the standard Global Roaming charges apply for both voicemail retrieve options such as text and call. Using voicemail whilst overseas attracts charges when a message is being left and when you access the voicemail. We suggest limiting your use of voicemail as much as possible whilst roaming.

Kindly note that we are unable to advise you on the information that you retrieved from the Optus website.

For further clarification please follow the below link:

https://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans-roaming

Thank you.