Email Account Management Policy

Email setup and troubleshooting
nomad

forwarding to another address would help

Post by nomad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:28 am

I am still waiting on being able to auto-forward & delete my exemail to another address (nothing would be stored in the exemail accounts).:?

However it seems that if I was able to do this my exemail accounts would be removed after 6 months if i did not log in to them. Would it be possible to grant us the ability to automatically forward & delete without loss of account after 6 months? It would be OK even if there was a reminder (as suggested by others) sent before the removal - giving us a chance to keep the account valid by a quick login.

Personally I have different accounts for different things which all feed into a single Gmail account, which allows me to login to one place for everything (& I can keep all emails). Then if one of the accounts starts to get spammed or abused i can kill it & recreate (different name) without having to renew/subscribe everything again. Gmail is also a very nice and extremely powerful browser mail client (with an extremely high storage capacity).

Perfect example is eBay where u cannot use a gmail account (unless u give them your credit card details). So you try to use your ISP account but it doesn't forward & potentially even if it did, now might be removed after 6 months. Looks like i will have to keep paying Dodo just for ISP email accounts that forward which is a shame 'cause I could use that money to increase my bandwidth at Exetel.:(

nomad

gmail accounts

Post by nomad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:42 am

ooops - forgot to mention - for those people who don't want to delete emails... if i can help by giving you a Gmail invite just PM me. :)

Colt

Post by Colt » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:59 am

Well it's obvious from this thread that some people have more complex needs than others.
I am still waiting on being able to auto-forward & delete my exemail to another address
No offence intended but does that mean it's kind of irrelevant to this discussion? I mean, I agree with you that it would be a nice thing to implement but if it's not in place currently then it doesn't really affect the changes does it? Having said that if they could incorporate your suggestion that would be nice.

So to summarise,

1) Your primary account should never be deleted (i.e the first account will always remain active).

2) Your primary account is given a longer time until messages are deleted (6 instead of 3 months) or is only restrained by a fixed limit.

3) Your primary account should recieve written notification 7 days before a secondary account is closed.

4) an auto-forward & delete feature should be integrated.

Any more suggestions?

So if admin or anyone else can respond regarding the feasability of the above that would be great.

Colt :D

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:00 am

whoknows wrote:I would suggest one alteration to the policy.

One week before deleting an Email account, send mail to the owner,
warning them that this will happen if they don't take action.
If it hasn't been checked in 6 months, what makes you think that they will check it????

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:11 am

pharmaboy wrote:I dont mind inactive accounts been closed off, but certainly object to having old emails deleted. The whole point of webmail for many people is to totally replace the old one computer based email, so i keep old emails that need to be kept.
The exemail email service is POP3 - which means the expectation is that emails will be downloaded to a POP3 client. It isn't intended to be a webmail only service like Hotmail or gmail.

The webmail feature was only added later as a courtesy 'add on' to help people who travelled or were away from their normal computer for a while.

Nemisis

Post by Nemisis » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:25 am

I guess that ADMIN feels that

"EXETEL - Get your 1 Free email account for only $59.99/mo"

doesn't sound as enticing.

I like having email account devoted entirely to SPAM that I never use. I sign up for promo's and freebies and not have to worry about the crap.

1. Why do they CAREthey care what I do with it or how often I use it?
2. What's their incentive and motive behind this?
3. I'M PAYING FOR THIS!! This isn't hotmail or Yahoo we're talking about!!!

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 am

Nemisis wrote:I guess that ADMIN feels that

"EXETEL - Get your 1 Free email account for only $59.99/mo"

doesn't sound as enticing.

I like having email account devoted entirely to SPAM that I never use. I sign up for promo's and freebies and not have to worry about the crap.

1. Why do they CAREthey care what I do with it or how often I use it?
If you use them to receive emails more than a couple of times a year you have nothing to worry about.

topstar

Post by topstar » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:52 am

There goes the privileges provided by Exetel.
I am against the removal of old emails. :cry:

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:09 pm

topstar wrote:There goes the privileges provided by Exetel.
I am against the removal of old emails. :cry:
What privileges? Have been taken away?

If using webmail is important, why not signup for a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account? It's free.

shanester

Post by shanester » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello,

This is a wise move by Exetel, and will ultimately benefit everyone. It is the only way to effective way manage a mail server. I know, for I had to manage a large sytem for several years without automated mail auditing, and its was the one biggest pain in the arse job - tedious and very time consuming. I could have been spending that time doing something more productive.
Most ISPs now have automated email auditing anyway.
And as the Admin says, it's POP3 mail - download it. :)

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Nemisis wrote:1. Why do they CAREthey care what I do with it or how often I use it?
We take great care of all our services and how they are used. Since, ultimately, the cost of all services must be paid for by Exetel customers, the care we take is to make sure resources aren't wasted and the services are as efficient and cost effective as possible.
See above.
Quite right, Hotmail and Yahoo don't have POP3 services. Exemail does.

Nemisis

Post by Nemisis » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:27 pm

Come on!

It fills up - It stops receiving email - SIMPLE!
what is there to manage after that?

Surely the decission to delete what I have in a mailbox that I created should be MINE !?

shanester wrote:Hello,

This is a wise move by Exetel, and will ultimately benefit everyone. It is the only way to effective way manage a mail server. I know, for I had to manage a large sytem for several years without automated mail auditing, and its was the one biggest pain in the arse job - tedious and very time consuming. I could have been spending that time doing something more productive.
Most ISPs now have automated email auditing anyway.
And as the Admin says, it's POP3 mail - download it. :)

shanester

Post by shanester » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:57 pm

Nemisis,
Try corrupted mailboxes, blown out log files, more sendmail processes increased support calls, time spent culling etc...Try doing a complex query through log files that are 30Gb instead of 10. It all adds up.
This is why automated auditing is now commonplace. It's more efficient, and ultimately a better service for everyone.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Yes, good move Exetel.

I think everyone will appreciate a leaner, faster, email service.

Regards,

CLoSeR

pulsatex

Post by pulsatex » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:40 pm

I can agree with policy no1 but not no2.

Yes get rid of unused accounts and their content.

But...

People sometimes need to keep old mail as a means for later use.

Maybe just implement the first policy by itself, see how things go and if necessary delete old mail (1 yr old... 6 months old... 3months) and phase it in.
Ex EGN Admin