Email Account Management Policy

Email setup and troubleshooting
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:07 pm

Yeah, Yeah

Sounds like Time magazine's MAN OF THE YEAR 1938..

Adolf Hitler

"We will take Austria. That will be our final demand"

This won't be the end of it...you wait and see!

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:15 pm

So Reductio ad Hitlerum rears its ugly head.

I don't think anyone has invoked Godwin's law on this forum before. How sad that it should be now.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:20 pm

Nemisis

You have now had your say on this issue on the Forum and made your position clear. If you wish to say more, say it to management@exetel.com.au

Any further posts in the same vein as your last one will be removed - they do not add to the discussion.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 pm

Nemisis wrote:Thanks for the WARNING Gidget,
You should heed it. You post is off topic and has been deleted.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:26 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:So Reductio ad Hitlerum rears its ugly head.

I don't think anyone has invoked Godwin's law on this forum before. How sad that it should be now.
Interesting law, thanks for making me aware of it.

rav0
Location: Hoxton Park, NSW, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Re: Email Account Management Policy

Post by rav0 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:2) deletion of email on the server that is more than three months old
Noooo!

I use my Exetel email address like a webmail service, I do not use a client program, I exclusively use web management interfaces to access my email while it resides on the server.

However, my account is using less than 1% of its quota on the server, even though it contains emails which are months old, because it is not my primary account.

I would not like my old email to be deleted. I check it regularly, but not often, and certainly havn't created 15 email addresses just becasue I can, and have then all full, I use less than 1 MB of Exemail server space.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:31 pm

I always find it amazing that there are some people who believe that insults and swearing is the same as "voicing an opinion" about something.

In terms of the email management, I think that anything that keeps costs down for Exetel, and therefore their customers, is a good thing.

I understand those that have used a webmail interface want to keep old emails, but surely it is easy to copy said emails to a file on their local system? Even a simple copy and paste into a text document would suffice, I would have thought.

Goomf

Post by Goomf » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:39 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:"'m not happy at all about emails getting deleted after 3 months. "

Download them to your computer?

You have a limit in terms of storage space on the Exetel server.
I access my webmail from around 10 different computers depending where I am, 2 of which are work computers. This is not an option.

I'm always purging (including my Sent) and keep what I want to reference. I'm definitely not hogging the space.

I have 3 email addresses. One can be deleted, one is my main personal one which is the fullest one (running currently at about 83%), and one is used mainly for posting alerts for an Xbox forum. The third one never breaks 10% capacity and is currently at 6.1%.

paddles

Post by paddles » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:49 pm

Nemesis,

I think you're confused about what free speech means. To use one classic example, it doesn't give you the right to yell "fire!" in a crowded theatre. Not without wearing the consequences, anyway. Also, even if you have the right to say something, you don't automatically have the right to express your opinion everywhere you want. Even if you have a right to say something, neither Exetel nor any other provider of communication or publication services is legally or morally obliged to let you express your opinions there. If I wanted to say Adolf Hitler was a good man, then I have a legal right to say that - but I don't have the right to force Exetel, the Sydney Morning Herald, or the nearest synagogue to let me say it there.

Certainly your more recent comments tend to detract from the credibility of your position, not add to it.

If you're not aware, the way each person uses the email facility affects all the other people who use it. It's not like the letterboxes in a block of flats, where if I don't clear my mail for six months, it doesn't affect anyone else. To pick another example, that's why the limits on individual mail items' sizes are in place - because sending large files by email doesn't affect just the recipient, but interferes with everyone else using the mail systems at each end.

And, as James pointed out, you only have to check your mail once every six months for the account not to be trashed. If you need the account, is that such a hard thing to do?

Regards

Tim

P.S. Before anyone flames me, I don't think Adolf Hitler was a good man, it was just an example.

Goomf

Post by Goomf » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:51 pm

Criminal_Colt wrote:I have no idea why there are so many whingers here! If you need to keep email for whatever reason you shouldn't be relying on a server outside of your control anyway! Just download it to your hard drive. If you really need an online only service that bad go to google, yahoo or hotmail.

However I would like to suggest 2 things...

1) Your primary account should never be deleted (i.e the first account will always remain active).

2) Your primary account is given a longer time until messages are deleted (6 instead of 3?).
To start with, not everybody's circumstances are the same, so don't lump everybody as whingers just because they disagree.

Secondly, I choose to use the webmail provided by Exetel because in the past I get spammed something chronic when I use Hotmail or Yahoo etc. I get next to no spam if any using Exemail.

At least your last points are onto something but at the very least, nothing from your primary account should be deleted whatsoever unless you choose to do it yourself. But I still don't agree with the proposed policy in general. Everybody has and uses the system that is part of their Internet package differently and just because you can't see how it might affect people doesn't mean you should blow the current policy away. The blanket approach needs to be rethought.

Jyrn

Confirm my understanding

Post by Jyrn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:37 pm

I currently run 3 accounts being;
1. Master - gets exetel admin type emails only
2. Personal - close friends only. Not frequent emails.
3. Publicly shared email - Shared with the world. Gets killed if spam goes up.

Accounts 1 & 2 above get limited throughput but are checked regularly.
Account 3 gets steady throughput and is also checked regularly.

Am I correct in believing that if checked regularly, even if little or no throughput of emails, I am not at risk of the account being deleted by the system?

NetworkAdmin

Re: Confirm my understanding

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:07 pm

Jyrn wrote:Am I correct in believing that if checked regularly, even if little or no throughput of emails, I am not at risk of the account being deleted by the system?
One check in six months would be enough.

tomski

Re: Email Account Management Policy

Post by tomski » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:12 pm

yes and you want to know why
1 no antvirus in place
2 no spam filter

after all that get on your machine no way thats why

we can handle a bit but mine & my dads + others got flooded with nasty stuff
from using Exemail
tomski

permutation

Post by permutation » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote: When you check the account, it moves email from the 'new' directory to the 'cur' directory. If that is done on a period of at least once every six months, the account would be considered active.
I got the email today and while I support the idea and reasoning behind it, it was a very poorly contructed email. It does not accurately explain who's email accounts will be deleted and who's won't. After reading through this thread it's clear that it's confused a lot of people.

From the above explanation, which incidently wasn't in the email that went out to all customers, it appears that one of my active accounts will be deleted. You see, one of my accounts is mainly used to send the occasional email using a POP3 client, and I regularly check for emails on it using a POP3 client, but very rarely receive emails on that account. So there'll be no new emails that get moved to a cur directory.

So exetel administrators, can you please think carefully about how your script will decide which accounts to close, taking into account that not everyone uses the system in the same way, and when you've reached a solution that works for almost everybody, send out an email that is clearer than your previous one. It would save everyone a lot of time.

bhisma

Email Issues

Post by bhisma » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 pm

I do not agree with your decision to delete email older than 3 months - what is the reasoning behind this. I normally save all my email - but if I do not overrun the quota provided to me why should you delete my email even it is older than 3 months ?

If I remain within your quota of email size allocated then you should not fiddle with my email at all.

Bhisma