Is ''Unwired'' wireless really fixed????

Old, inactive threads
sh0nky

Is ''Unwired'' wireless really fixed????

Post by sh0nky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:23 pm

On the 16th Oct at 12.36pm my wireless service dropped out,i was told by Exetel staff that this was caused by a ''card''problem at Unwireds end. This is fair enough and seems to be a problem outside Exetels control.This problem was fixed within 1 hour.Today my service dropped out again at exactly 12.36pm (funny that)
My issue is as follows..... The wireless service i am paying Exetel for,as far as im concerned has been dodgy now for at least the past month.Dropouts,slow loading,error messages and even a bit of wind causing more dropouts than it ever did.
It is evident to me that i am far from being the sole person affected by these issues..the forums speak for themselves as far as thats concerned.
Whilst i understand Exetel are not to blame for these down times,i feel that a better explanation is needed to allow wirelesss users to know what is going on with UNWIRED. If Telstra or Optus had such outages customers would be compensated in some way or at least made to feel they were getting value for money.
Are we to ring Unwired direct to ask for a refund of our months access because we are not getting the service we are paying for? It seems pointless ringing Exetel because its not their problem..... so whos is it?..If its Unwireds,i would like Exetel to claim my months access fee from them on my behalf and im guessing many others! Thankyou very much!
Last edited by sh0nky on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work never killed anyone ..but im not taking any chances :)

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm

By it's very nature unwired and hence "wireless" connections are less reliable than cabled connections.

Unfortunately you may be in a position where something in the neighbourhood is causing the connection to drop out, you may have placed the modem poorly or the signal is weak.

Unfortunately if the signal is weak or there's something interfering with the signal there's nothing we can do to fix the issue.

From the sounds of your complaint, it sounds as though the signal you're getting is poor, indicated by the fact poor weather is causing the service to fail.

The best you can do is move the modem around and see if there's a position where the modem gets better signal.
-David

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:58 pm

This is the exact response i expected...When will someone take responsibility for this?....Exetels own support staff have told me on the phone that it is a UNWIRED problem.(Which i believe to be the case unless the buck is being passed)
My location, modem,settings etc have always been the same.Yes i agree ''wireless'' is not as reliable as far as weather conditions etc,but i believe it is obvious through reading forums that the service has not been upto scratch for approx the last month.
Are we to get ADSL during the warmer months because UNWIREDs service cant cope with the changing climate or a rush of new users.
Come on Exetel,start asking the same questions to the provider of your wireless service and stop blaming customers who are paying for a service they are not getting,and is obviously experiencing problems at the moment. We are not all gullible...

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Your modem may have been in the same stop for three years without issue, but buildings are erected, mobile towers, trees, etc; please try a different position and hopefully it will be better.

If you want a more stable connection you should consider our ADSL1/2 products.

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Just for the information of those concerned....I am less than 600 metres from the Cronulla, Bourke St Unwired tower.As this tower is located so close to me,i do not buy into the excuse that these issues are caused by trees,clouds etc..My modem sits near a open window pointing towards the tower and shows the same signal and quality strength wherever the modem is placed around the premises.
Telling me to change to ADSL in the middle of a contract and thus losing $100 plus the ADSL connection fee is really pathetic..A better solution would be to ''FIX'' the problem and stop applying a bandaid approach to the issue of poor service and a service that is of 3rd world standard.
I had nothing but praise for Exetel and their staff in my previous 2 posts,but after being told to simply change to ADSL because (quote)''wireless is unstable'' and that it must be my problem,i am seriously doubting Exetels commitment to their wireless customers.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:30 pm

sh0nky wrote:Just for the information of those concerned....I am less than 600 metres from the Cronulla, Bourke St Unwired tower.As this tower is located so close to me,i do not buy into the excuse that these issues are caused by trees,clouds etc..My modem sits near a open window pointing towards the tower and shows the same signal and quality strength wherever the modem is placed around the premises.
Telling me to change to ADSL in the middle of a contract and thus losing $100 plus the ADSL connection fee is really pathetic..A better solution would be to ''FIX'' the problem and stop applying a bandaid approach to the issue of poor service and a service that is of 3rd world standard.
I had nothing but praise for Exetel and their staff in my previous 2 posts,but after being told to simply change to ADSL because (quote)''wireless is unstable'' and that it must be my problem,i am seriously doubting Exetels commitment to their wireless customers.
I have looked at all the helpdesk fault reports that relate to the Unwired service, and you are the only one reporting such a problem.

Whatever your problem is, it seems to relate to you only, no matter what you choose to 'believe'.

However the good news for you is, that while such faults are frustrating, they can often be fixed in time, once the cause is identified.

What you have been told so far is that the problem is most likely some local cause. That in fact remains the case, otherwise we would expect other similar faults to be reported from your area. So checking that nothing is causing it that you can identify and control is the logical first thing to do.

Do you have a helpdesk ticket number? If not, getting one would be the next best step for you.