Painfully Slow browsing/download speeds during off peak

Old, inactive threads
Locked
Strat
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Painfully Slow browsing/download speeds during off peak

Post by Strat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:51 am

Over the past couple of weeks i've noticed painfully slow browsing and download speeds during off peak times. During peaks it's fine (just like it used to be) but off peak is painfully slow.

Browsing takes ages for pages to load and some will even time out. Feels like i'm back on dial up at times (i'm currently downloading a file at 7.6kbps so I guess it's slightly better than dial up :shock: )

US sites seem to be worse than AUS sites but all in all both are slower. According to the Exetel speed test
Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.25 Mbps

which means you can download at 159.71 KB/sec. from our servers.
Keep in mind i'm on ADSL2 and 140 metres from the exchange.

Speed Test results

Image

That is with no other network activity/downloads etc. Yay for having uploads almost 4 times the speed of my downloads. I mean this is a joke. What gives exetel?

EDIT: Speed test after 12pm

Image

64X faster during peak time !!!!.

Richard I sent you PM.
Last edited by Strat on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardk
Exetel Staff
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:02 pm
Contact:

Post by richardk » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Hello,

Could you please pm me your service number and I'll see if I can help in anyway.

Thank You

richardk
Exetel Staff
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:02 pm
Contact:

Post by richardk » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Hello,

I believe the reason for your slow speed is because you are currently in a bandwith pool due to downloads off peak.
Suggest that you look up the acceptable user policy then have a look at your usage.

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php

Thank You

Strat
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Post by Strat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Richardk.

According to the Acceptable Use Policy
In the event that any Customer, downloads more than 48gb during the Off Peak Period in any calendar month, Exetel reserves the rights to vary the Off Peak Period bandwidth allocation for that Customer for the remainder of that calendar month.
According to the usage meter i've been placed into the 'yellow pool'
Yellow Pool: 40-48GB downloads in the off peak period
I've only downloaded 41708.80MB of the allocated 48000MB as outlined in the AUP.

The AUP clearly states the shaping will only occur if I download MORE THAN 48GB, yet according to the usage meter it has shaped me for going over 40GB.

Can you please clarify. Am I missing something in your AUP or have I been wrongly shaped?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Strat,

Your issue is the same as the one reported in this thread. You may want to keep an eye on both threads to see how they get resolved. At this stage it seems to me like a discrepancy between the AUP (48Gb) and the automated pooling system (40Gb). Worst case, you may have to wait until next month for it to be resolved.

Strat
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Post by Strat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:36 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Strat,

Your issue is the same as the one reported in this thread. You may want to keep an eye on both threads to see how they get resolved. At this stage it seems to me like a discrepancy between the AUP (48Gb) and the automated pooling system (40Gb). Worst case, you may have to wait until next month for it to be resolved.
Thanks Corey. Will keep an eye on the thread as well.

richardk can you please escalate this through the appropriate channels. If you require a support ticket to be raised instead let me know and I can do that.

gong_guy
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 am

Post by gong_guy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:53 pm

Strat wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply Richardk.

According to the Acceptable Use Policy
In the event that any Customer, downloads more than 48gb during the Off Peak Period in any calendar month, Exetel reserves the rights to vary the Off Peak Period bandwidth allocation for that Customer for the remainder of that calendar month.
I would take the AUP with a grain of salt. Think of it as a starting point.

Bottom line is if you push the limits you may get bitten. Stay well under the limits as they may change at any time even retrospectively. Been there, done that.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 am

gong_guy wrote:I would take the AUP with a grain of salt. Think of it as a starting point.

Bottom line is if you push the limits you may get bitten. Stay well under the limits as they may change at any time even retrospectively. Been there, done that.
I don't think that is good enough. Granted, I think most people are candid enough to accept any slow down of off-peak whether they hit 40 or 48Gb but the AUP is part of the terms and conditions of your contract. It is not reasonable for it to say one thing and then implement something different.

Perhaps Exetel can revert their AUP back to the pre-November terms until the pooling system is updated, or at least begin to answer some of the threads dealing with this discrepancy. I personally stay under 40Gb but I can definitely understand the confusion and perception of deception that other users may feel after having been incorrectly informed by Exetel in this forum and via the AUP that they can download an additional 8Gb without pooling.

yasak
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:00 am

Post by yasak » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
gong_guy wrote:I would take the AUP with a grain of salt. Think of it as a starting point.

Bottom line is if you push the limits you may get bitten. Stay well under the limits as they may change at any time even retrospectively. Been there, done that.
I don't think that is good enough. Granted, I think most people are candid enough to accept any slow down of off-peak whether they hit 40 or 48Gb but the AUP is part of the terms and conditions of your contract. It is not reasonable for it to say one thing and then implement something different.

Perhaps Exetel can revert their AUP back to the pre-November terms until the pooling system is updated, or at least begin to answer some of the threads dealing with this discrepancy. I personally stay under 40Gb but I can definitely understand the confusion and perception of deception that other users may feel after having been incorrectly informed by Exetel in this forum and via the AUP that they can download an additional 8Gb without pooling.
couldn't agree more with CoreyPlover...

David_h
Exetel Staff
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:20 am

Post by David_h » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:36 am

In response, to this, we're currently looking into this. A few customers have emailed through, those that did have been informed we're looking into it.

I apologise for not letting you all know we were investigating sooner, though I'd hoped to have more concrete information before I posted on this issue.
-David

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Post by Gidget » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:40 am

I have alerted Exetel to this issue and it will be corrected soon.

I have closed this thread in preference to the earliest thread started on this matter
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=24258

Please watch that thread for any updates.

You are reminded that starting multiple threads on the same issue is not recommended because then I have to run around closing and cross-referencing them.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Locked