UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Old, inactive threads
Fury

UNKNOWEDGABLE VOIP SEEKER REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by Fury » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi, I am new to the forums here and would like a couple of clues of where to start if you don't mind.

I am interested in obtaining VOIP, but only have a basic understanding of the process.

The posts and available information seem to assume that people understand the concept and just choose the equipment they require. The forum , from what I have seen, caters for people who basically know what they are doing and the terminology involved. I cannot seem to find a "basic VOIP thread" for beginners and don't want to pose the same questions that have been answered before ( which I cannot seem to find)

I do understand that you need a broadband account, and voip equipment, but there seems to be so much available, all using differing terminology, or aspects that may or may not actually be required. Some equipment seems to be more problematic than others. ( software, echo, delay etc)

Then there are issues such as Why is a DID is preferable etc. ( I know what it is, there again, not understanding why it is favorable or even necessary) as well as other issues that seem necessary to successfully use VOIP as you would a normal phone.

We don't want to replace our existing wireless router , as we have a network setup - which works fine, but we do want to use a standard phone occasionally if the ISP is down or receiving standard calls - like in an emergency, as well as keeping our existing phone number so plugging in a std phone to an adapter connected to the router would be fine as I see it.

I have not posted a new thread as:
1 I would look stupid if there is a starter thread somewhere that I have overlooked. :oops:
2 from what I gather, excessive posting about the same subject, is very annoying ( have been on other forums where this happens.) :x
3 I am sure that there is basic info out there on the process and recommended speeds and equipment, that you could point me to, without being a bother to anyone else.

Sorry for burdening you with this task, but perhaps you could shoot a few pointers, or forward to an appropriate forum area that I could find this info.
Thanks for your time, it is appreciated ( any forum admin does work dammed hard with little recognition)

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:26 pm

The link below is a good place to start.

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm

If you have any specific questions please direct them here, what the above link does not explain is DID which is a direct in dial number.

You will need a DID in order to recieve incoming calls on your VoIP number, otherwise only outbound calls can be made.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Another thing i forgot to mention while VoIP will work on 256, we only recommend you use it on atleast a 512 service.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Fury, you'll find the knowledgeable ones here ( not me!) are really nice and very tolerant.
I only have 2 comments : when we had a 512 service our VoIP was sub-standard to say the least. Lots of delay and echo. This may well have been due to the fact that there were 3 computers running on the network. Since changing to a 1500 service (which isn't much more expensive, especially when you take your phone bill savings into consideration) the VoIP phone is perfect. No one we ring can tell that it isn't a normal PSTN line, and there are no delays, echoes or dropouts. My phone bill has dropped from nearly $150 per month to around $30 (including the line rental of $19.95). Not bad!
My other comment : STAY CLEAR of Engin! Exetel VoIP is the best by far.

Fury

Post by Fury » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:58 am

Thank you for the information so far.

So basically there are 3 options.
1 an ATA - which plugs in to your existing router ( assuming that there is a spare network port available on the router - or a replacement router that does is necessary)

2 an IP Phone, that plugs directly into the router ( which depending on the phone, could be a cordless phone)

3 a Soft phone, which plugs into your computer - and uses software to make the call. (Thus your computer needs to be on 24/7 to make and recieve calls)

Sounds like option 1 is the best, as a general replacement, least complex option. ( unless the IP phone can make and recieve std exchange calls as well as VOIP)

I then have my std broadband ISP to the router (ie Exetel service adsl plan) and a phone line rental ( a telstra authorised line) between $20 and $30 p/month .
There would also be an additional VOIP service contract which provides the "voice transition' for a small additional fee. This service will connect a VOIP phone into the std telephone exchange - so it can reach NON voip phones - I am assuming... and there is an extra charge for this?

OK, a couple of further questions if I may.

1 If using an ATA and a standard phone ( plugged into the router and thus the filtered phone line to the premises) can a standard phone be plugged into another socket as a backup to VOIP for emergancies ? ( thus being outside of the VOIP loop)

2 There seems to be many differing ATA equipment. Is there any reliable or preffered equipment that gives a quality product and an easy setup ( or a particular ATA recommended by Exetel?) V100? V300? or something else perhaps...?

3 I have just applied for a faster plan ( actually just before Tafkam mentioned it in his last post) but does voip add much to the download limit? obviously if you are constantly on the phone it would, but generally I based the plan use on my previous average data use and went a full gig over. Will that be enough?

I don't want to over simplify this, but It seems the "younger generation" have encompassed this "new" technology, but us "middle gen's " are still getting the hang of it. :lol:

So basically I can order an ATA from Exetel, via http://www.exetel.com.au/o_voip.php

After logging in, I can see available equipment ( no DID in my area) but cannot see an aditional VOIP contract or monthly commitment. is this correct?

apart from setting up the ATA and plugging in a phone, and then paying for the calls via Exetel what else is there to consider?

Thanks again for your help.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am

Fury wrote: Thank you for the information so far.

So basically there are 3 options.
1 an ATA - which plugs in to your existing router ( assuming that there is a spare network port available on the router - or a replacement router that does is necessary)
Correct
Fury wrote:
2 an IP Phone, that plugs directly into the router ( which depending on the phone, could be a cordless phone)
Correct or it can be a USB one as well which needs the computer on to make calls..
Fury wrote:
3 a Soft phone, which plugs into your computer - and uses software to make the call. (Thus your computer needs to be on 24/7 to make and recieve calls)
This is just software on the computer, it does not physically plug into the computer. You make calls via the speakers and mic on your computer.
Fury wrote:
Sounds like option 1 is the best, as a general replacement, least complex option. ( unless the IP phone can make and recieve std exchange calls as well as VOIP)
I would say an "ALL IN ONE UNIT" is the least complex basically it is a ADSL modem/router/voip all in one unit.

If you get a standard ATA there is some configurations needed to be done on your existing router for it to work. You have to open ports basically on the router.
Fury wrote:
This service will connect a VOIP phone into the std telephone exchange - so it can reach NON voip phones - I am assuming... and there is an extra charge for this?
We do the termination to NON voip phones, there is no additional equipment installed at your local exchange. To put it simply you send the call to us and we connect the call for you to NON voip numbers.
Fury wrote:
1 If using an ATA and a standard phone ( plugged into the router and thus the filtered phone line to the premises) can a standard phone be plugged into another socket as a backup to VOIP for emergancies ? ( thus being outside of the VOIP loop)
Correct, some ATA units have PSTN fall back as well so basically you can run a line to the ATA and use the existing phone connected to it to go out via your Telstra line.
Fury wrote:
2 There seems to be many differing ATA equipment. Is there any reliable or preffered equipment that gives a quality product and an easy setup ( or a particular ATA recommended by Exetel?) V100? V300? or something else perhaps...?
I would recommend an All one unit. Before you go out and buy new hardware i would suggest you use a softphone which is freely available and see if it meets your requirements. If it does then you can investigate on new equipment :)
Fury wrote:
3 I have just applied for a faster plan ( actually just before Tafkam mentioned it in his last post) but does voip add much to the download limit? obviously if you are constantly on the phone it would, but generally I based the plan use on my previous average data use and went a full gig over. Will that be enough?
VoIP generally does not use alot of bandwidth but this also depends on the duration of the call, codec used etc I would not worry about this at this stage. You can always upgrade the plan to the next one up if you find that the usage is not enough.
Fury wrote:
So basically I can order an ATA from Exetel, via http://www.exetel.com.au/o_voip.php
Order it via your User Facilities therefore it will be linked to your DSL account.
Fury wrote:
After logging in, I can see available equipment ( no DID in my area) but cannot see an aditional VOIP contract or monthly commitment. is this correct?
Correct
Fury wrote:
apart from setting up the ATA and plugging in a phone, and then paying for the calls via Exetel what else is there to consider?
Nothing i can think of at this stage :)

basshead

Post by basshead » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:50 pm

I've been reseaching VOIP over the last couple of days and had a stack of questions that have already been raised and answered in this post - Great!

However there is another question I had which wasn't adequately covered...

I currently have ADSL2 line/connection, however due to my distance from the exchange I only managed a best speed of about 5000 (which is still within the limits of ADSL1) so I am using my old Billion 741GE (ADSL1 modem with built-in firewall and 4-port router), but mainly because the Netcomm NB5 was giving me problems and a final attempt to upgrade the firmware (directly emailed from Netcomm Customer Support) rendered it suitable for use only as a paper-weight.

The question I have is, will I still be able to use the Billion router if I choose the ATA method (which plugs into a spare port on the router), as per Fury's 1st option mentioned earlier in this thread?

The info from the link that was provided states that I can plug my existing phone into the ATA.

Am I able to make the DID number provided into a "silent" number to avoid unwanted telemarketing calls?

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 am

basshead wrote:
The question I have is, will I still be able to use the Billion router if I choose the ATA method (which plugs into a spare port on the router), as per Fury's 1st option mentioned earlier in this thread?
Yes you can use the existing Billion unit with an ATA, you will need to map the SIP and RTP ports for the ATA.
basshead wrote: Am I able to make the DID number provided into a "silent" number to avoid unwanted telemarketing calls?
They are not listed in any public directories eg yellow pages etc so i dont think you will need to worry about this, some ATA units can block calls as well.

Fury

Post by Fury » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 am

A small side track if I may.

Is there a glossary of terms for all the terminology somewhere?
Reading through some of the setup info on the differing units, it can be daunting unless the abreviations and terminology is understood.

It seems over the last few days since I have ben "investigating" VOIP, it is really quite a simple process, but to a beginner, the terminology sounds "heavy" and complex. I think a glossary of VOIP terms, port terms and anything connected would be a usefull instruction somewhere here.

Very usefull info all up, thanks.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 am

Fury wrote:A small side track if I may.

Is there a glossary of terms for all the terminology somewhere?
Reading through some of the setup info on the differing units, it can be daunting unless the abreviations and terminology is understood.

It seems over the last few days since I have ben "investigating" VOIP, it is really quite a simple process, but to a beginner, the terminology sounds "heavy" and complex. I think a glossary of VOIP terms, port terms and anything connected would be a usefull instruction somewhere here.

Very usefull info all up, thanks.
Sounds like a good idea, i will put it on the "to-do" list :)

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:51 am

I have prepared a quick one below.

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=26625

Thats all i can think of at the moment, if there is anything i missed or you would like added let me know :)

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:37 am

Whoops - VoIP Admin's went in while I wasn't looking! Someone can delete mine if necessary :shock:

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:39 am

Tafkam wrote:Whoops - VoIP Admin's went in while I wasn't looking! Someone can delete mine if necessary :shock:
Thats the one i found and editted.. there is alot of info there but most of it is not necessary so i took it out since it may confuse the not so technical minded :)

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 am

Ah ok! So can you delete my post then? It might just confuse people....

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:54 am

Done and i updated the original thread with your link as well if they need more information. :)