Voip Codecs & Plans

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
timadams

Voip Codecs & Plans

Post by timadams » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi,

Three Questions:

1. Which codecs are allowed for Exetel Voip? Some pages imply only g729, but others imply also g711 but only for outgoing calls?

2. I was looking at ordering the Plan B Voip service. On the order page in the user facility it says Plan B - DID* $0 min monthly spend. I know the DID is now free, but i thought the minimum monthly spend was still $5?

3. I have a Pennytel Voip with DID. I am also on Exetel ADSL2. Would there be any advantage in using Extel Voip and DID over Pennytel? - from a technical perspective that is :) I seem to get similar ping times to each.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Re: Voip Codecs & Plans

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:51 am

timadams wrote: Hi,

Three Questions:

1. Which codecs are allowed for Exetel Voip? Some pages imply only g729, but others imply also g711 but only for outgoing calls?
G.729, G.711 U and A Law, and T.38
timadams wrote: 2. I was looking at ordering the Plan B Voip service. On the order page in the user facility it says Plan B - DID* $0 min monthly spend. I know the DID is now free, but i thought the minimum monthly spend was still $5?
That is only for additional DID, the new plans do not have any minimum monthly spend.
timadams wrote: 3. I have a Pennytel Voip with DID. I am also on Exetel ADSL2. Would there be any advantage in using Extel Voip and DID over Pennytel? - from a technical perspective that is :) I seem to get similar ping times to each.
Im not sure on what the Pennytel services offer or charges are, i would simply test out the service since there is no minimum monthly charge and then work out the costs between both providers.

Then go with the cheaper option :)

timadams

Post by timadams » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:22 am

Great answers! So just to clarify...

So i can get a Voip account with a DID for $0 min monthly spend. Calls will just be charged to my exetel ADSL account?

If I ever leave Exetel ADSL, will i be able to maintain the VOIP account and DID?

RE: Pennytel vs Exetel - i guess i was wondering if, since i was connecting to the net via Exetel ADSL, there would be a connection/call quality advantage in using Exetel Voip? I guess if there was it would only be a few ms and i probably wouldn't notice anyway.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:26 am

timadams wrote:
If I ever leave Exetel ADSL, will i be able to maintain the VOIP account and DID?
Yes you can, or you can use the calling card facilities as well.
timadams wrote: RE: Pennytel vs Exetel - i guess i was wondering if, since i was connecting to the net via Exetel ADSL, there would be a connection/call quality advantage in using Exetel Voip? I guess if there was it would only be a few ms and i probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Only one way to find out :)

There is no setup cost or cancellation costs, i still suggest you test the service out and decide then.

timadams

Post by timadams » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 am

Sweet.

I'm about to change to Exetel naked DSL (currently on the now redundant OPT A Plan) so if i pick a DID now, can that be attributed to my naked account when i switch?

Thanks heaps for your fast replies. i'll definitely give Exetel Voip a go.
Last edited by timadams on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:49 am

timadams wrote:Sweet.

I'm about to change to Exetel naked DSL (currently on the now redundant OPT A Plan) so if i pick a DID now, can that be attributed to my naked account when i switch?

Thanks heaps for your fast replies. i definitely give Exetel Voip a go.
It will have to be done manually, so PM me your details when you are on the NDSL service.

timadams

Post by timadams » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 pm

I signed up to an Exetel VOIP plan, so, given your encouragement to try it out then make an informed decision, i thought i'd give some feedback.

I already have Pennytel Voip setup and working perfectly on a SPA3102 - therefore i simply changed the proxy, username and pwd.

I was able to make outgoing calls (call quality fine), but when i tried to ring the DID from my mobile, the voip phone rang, but when i answered there was silence. When i looked at my mobile, i saw that it never actually registered that a call had been connected. In fact i never heard a ringing tone through the mobile.

I thought it could be the ATA, so i tried the Exetel Voip on my Draytek 2600VG. I could get Pennytel to work immediately, but Exetel would not even register (all settings were checked and double checked).

Are there still some gremlins in the Exetel DID system?

Also - The configurable options for the DID in the user facility are very simple, perhaps too simple given what the competition are offering... ie multi-ring, configurable caller ID, call screening based on number/date etc...

I think for the moment i'll use the Pennytel DID, and have Exetel voip as a gateway on the SPA3102 to use my 100 free calls :)

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:26 pm

timadams wrote: I already have Pennytel Voip setup and working perfectly on a SPA3102 - therefore i simply changed the proxy, username and pwd.

I was able to make outgoing calls (call quality fine), but when i tried to ring the DID from my mobile, the voip phone rang, but when i answered there was silence. When i looked at my mobile, i saw that it never actually registered that a call had been connected. In fact i never heard a ringing tone through the mobile.
Are all ports forwarded to the Sipura unit? That is the SIP and RTP ports?

As a quick test are you able to replicate the problem using a softphone?
timadams wrote: I thought it could be the ATA, so i tried the Exetel Voip on my Draytek 2600VG. I could get Pennytel to work immediately, but Exetel would not even register (all settings were checked and double checked).

Are there still some gremlins in the Exetel DID system?
I dont see any :)

I am more than happy to check this if you like, does you unit have remote management on it? If it does please enable it and PM me the details.

Registration is straight forward so it should work, i would like to find out why just for future reference so it would be great if you can get the remote management setup.

timadams

Post by timadams » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:10 pm

VoIP Admin wrote: Are all ports forwarded to the Sipura unit? That is the SIP and RTP ports?

As a quick test are you able to replicate the problem using a softphone?
Confidence restored... DID worked for incoming and outgoing with softphone. I guess the problem is on my end :oops:

I haven't forwarded any ports to SPA3102 as I have never needed to do so with any other Voip provider in the past (Pennytel, SipMe). But i can see how it would be useful.

I had a look at the Draytek 2600VG (my adsl modem) and it will only allow me to specify the individual ports i want to forward i.e. i can't forward a range of ports which i am guessing would be what i would need to do for RTP 16384-32767. I can get it to forward 5060.
VoIP Admin wrote: I am more than happy to check this if you like, does you unit have remote management on it? If it does please enable it and PM me the details.

Registration is straight forward so it should work, i would like to find out why just for future reference so it would be great if you can get the remote management setup.
hmmm... yeah the Draytek not even registering the Exetel account is a bit of an anomaly, especially since it registered in the 3102 and softphone.

I'll have a bit of a play with the firewall etc on the Draytek, and if i have no joy, i'll setup remote management for you.

Thanks

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:12 pm

timadams wrote:

Confidence restored... DID worked for incoming and outgoing with softphone. I guess the problem is on my end :oops:
Great ! nothing funny with the account then *phew* :)
timadams wrote:
hmmm... yeah the Draytek not even registering the Exetel account is a bit of an anomaly, especially since it registered in the 3102 and softphone.

I'll have a bit of a play with the firewall etc on the Draytek, and if i have no joy, i'll setup remote management for you.

Thanks
No problem, good luck otherwise let me know if you need my help :)

timadams

Post by timadams » Tue May 06, 2008 6:25 pm

OK i'm back. Naked DSL swithed over fine, and i am now trying to setup Extel VOIP... as before I am having some unusual issues (which could be due to my hardware... but i'd appreciate any ideas you have).

As mentioned my setup is a Draytek2600VG (ADSL/Voip etc) with a Linksys 3102 connected.

I can make and receive all calls with X-Lite.

I can make and receive all calls using the ATA in the Draytek.

But when i setup Exetel Voip on the Linksys 3102, it registers and I can receive calls, but I can only make some. I can call voicemail, and i can even call the calling card access numbers, but i can't call anything off the exetel network (i.e. my mobile) - just silence for a long time then engaged tone. My pennytel accounts works fine on the Linksys (although i am having some issues getting an old sipme account working as another test).

Any ideas why?

timadams

Post by timadams » Wed May 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Problem solved.

I needed to change my 'Display Name' on the spa3102 to my user id (i.e. Exetel DID number). Once i did that everything works perfectly.

Discovered the solution because I started getting the exact same problem on my Pennytel account when the upgraded their hardware last weekend. A Pennytel rep suggested that fix - must be something to do with the new hardware.

BTW - in your dialplan in the setup guide for the spa3102, you have 000SO - does this mean that i can dial out to 000 through exetel? (obviously i am reluctant to unnecessarily test this).