New Customer Referral Scheme

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

New Customer Referral Scheme

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Those of you who receive (and then read) the Exetel monthly news letter would have noticed that this is the last month of the current customer referral scheme that pays $60.00 for the referral of a NEW ADSL1 user and $30.00 for the referral of a churn ADSL1 user.

We have some ideas on how a more effective (for both Exetel and Exetel's customers) can be put in place but would also welcome any ideas you might have.

vk3xem

Re: New Customer Referral Scheme

Post by vk3xem » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:53 pm

I would be happy for a credit scheme towards Exetel services rather than dollar amounts.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

LordS

Post by LordS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Damnit I'll have to try hard to get someone to sign up soon lol.

I was waiting to finally take advantage of the awesome scheme but it doesn't look too positive now....

I guess the credit scheme would work?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

LordS wrote:Damnit I'll have to try hard to get someone to sign up soon lol.

I was waiting to finally take advantage of the awesome scheme but it doesn't look too positive now....

I guess the credit scheme would work?
The objective is to develop a better referral reward scheme.

LordS

Post by LordS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:32 pm

what's better than money lol?

Friendship?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm

LordS wrote:what's better than money lol?

Friendship?
Refer a customer and we'll be your friend. Sounds good.

alburyman

Post by alburyman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:10 pm

JasonM wrote:

Friendship?
Refer a customer and we'll be your friend. Sounds good.
Dam, now we need money to buy friends....geez id spend mine down at vinnies

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Some possibilities (just brainstorming here, haven't thought any of them through in detail):
  • Referrals could be converted to a free account upgrade (speed or quota) for specified length of time
  • Referrals could reduce contract terms by a specified duration
  • Referrals can be redeemed for extra peak / off-peak download quota in any given month (in essence this is just worth $3/Gb per referral redeemable at any time)
  • Group referrals that pool / link quotas together. i.e. instead of individual accounts with, say, 8/48 of quota you sign up and combine additional customers into, say, a 16/96Gb account where quota is shared between 2 customers; excess usage pro rata on total shared usage or something? This might appeal to attract groups of customers (i.e. friends, families, etc) at the same time.
  • On a related note: perhaps referrals where your account gets credited with a proportion of the unused peak and off-peak quotas of your referred customers eachm month
  • Easier mechanism for sharing of referral credit. i.e. Referrer can more easily split the dollar / quota / speed incentive with the referee to intice them to join with Exetel. In this manner you can tell your friends "If you put me as your referral you will get your first month half price, etc."
  • Referrals that are dependent on the total value of the contract: Sign up a high monthly plan customer and get more referral credit compared to a low monthly plan customer
  • Pyramid scheme referrals - i.e. you gain partial credit for referrals achieved from customers you originally referred
  • Reward for long duration customers. Something akin to loyalty discount: i.e. why only reward new business when continued business is also a source of profit.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:16 pm

Friendship?
Practically everything you encounter in life is better than money.

However, in terms of a 'commercial' rewards scheme for a customer supporting a supplier by using their own efforts to help the supplier gain more customers a financial (monetary) reward is the easiest thing to put in place.

The alternatives are 'product' or 'service' of some types that are easily denominated in 'money'.

So, at the moment there is a lump sum payment in place which is quite substantial and has proven to be attractive to a growing number of Exetel customers. As with everything we do - we try something out and then get ideas on how/if it can be improved.

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I'd like to be able to plaster links all over my web sites that take customers to the Exetel sign-up page but I don't like the idea of publishing my home phone number on the Internet.

So I reckon a customer related code would be a great idea. Along with discounting $30/$60 from my account.

Or, so I can pass on some incentive for people to use my link and because everyone loves a freebie, how about $20 for me and $10 for the referral if they churn and $20 for the referral and $40 for me in they are new? :idea:

Actually I like that last idea a lot.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am

austdata wrote:I'd like to be able to plaster links all over my web sites that take customers to the Exetel sign-up page but I don't like the idea of publishing my home phone number on the Internet.
This is a valid point, you may well want to refer someone but the referral code you give them includes your home phone number and you may not really want to be giving it out to people for what ever reason.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jakiman

Post by jakiman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:59 am

I signed up yesterday to both phone and ADSL2+ yesterday with my friend's referral phone number. (exetel user)

So he won't get anything for his referral?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:04 am

jakiman wrote:I signed up yesterday to both phone and ADSL2+ yesterday with my friend's referral phone number. (exetel user)

No, we only pay referral credits on new ADSL1 connections.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:53 am

James wrote:
jakiman wrote:I signed up yesterday to both phone and ADSL2+ yesterday with my friend's referral phone number. (exetel user)

No, we only pay referral credits on new ADSL1 connections.
I would have thought there was more benefit to getting people on ADSL2+ services than ADSL1 :o

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm

jok11n wrote:I would have thought there was more benefit to getting people on ADSL2+ services than ADSL1 :o
There may well be (although the higher speeds and higher bandwidth requirements are a disadvantage from an ISP's point of view) but the crux is that ADSL2+ profit margins are too small to allow referral credits to be paid whereas ADSL profit margins allow this.