New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
SysAdmin

Re: .htaccess problem

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 pm

phelum wrote:I just tested again and still get error 500 as soon as I put "Options +Includes" in .htaccess. The error goes once I comment the line so it isn't a caching problem at my end.
It's enabled by default but I'll add the option too so as not to break people too much.
Re Indexes : Can you please allow it? I can't see any risk in "Options -Indexes" and the hassle with the restriction is that there is no meaningful error message. Maybe if we could see the error log it would highlight the problem but since we can't it is just a case of change and test until we find it.
This config shall remain inherited from the old server.

Andrew

phelum

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by phelum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:54 pm

phelum wrote:Do you want a PHP script that will do this? Please ask if you do and I'll supply details. I also baulked at the idea of downloading everything and then uploading it.
I'll post this here rather than PMing in case anybody else wants the info.

The PHP script to copy a site to another server is at http://phelum.net/files/pathimport.php. It will be delivered as a text file to your browser so please save it to disk and then upload it to your new site.

Once the script is uploaded enter <http://temporary.home.exetel.com.au/you ... import.php>. A form will be displayed.

The entries required are :
RemoteHost: home.exetel.com.au
User: 0xxxxxxxxx (your phone #)
Pass: only you know this value
Remote Path : . (change public_html to "." (no quotes))
Local Path : .
Extra Levels: 0 = base directory only, maybe use up to 8 depending on your site

Then click "Copy Now" and all files should be copied within a few seconds.

Files will only be copied if they don't exist on the new server or if they are newer than the copy on the new server.

Hope this helps
-- Steven Saunderson

leithant

Post by leithant » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Steven, great work!!!

Snow Gun

Post by Snow Gun » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

All good so far. Only 2 probs I have now, are I have forgotten my DB password (what I thought it was - it wasn't) and once I find it, I don't know where to upload it to...... ie I download it from here - https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/ but where do I upload it to?

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Finally got my site ported over had a few issues, namely:

1) Obviously had to remove the CREATE DATABASE, and change the USE line in the exported SQL to the new database.

2) Dont use the backup feature of WORDPRESS, the SQL it creates is buggy and wont run, i found isntances where it just missed a value in an insert statement ie...
'1', '2', , '3', '4', stupid dam thing...

3) For some reason there were some weird characters in the SQL export that the Import didnt seem to be recognising they were the backward double quotes (Double Accute Accent - hex - 02DD), apparently it wasnt including these characters in as part of the key for the unique index, and i kept getting duplicate key errors, but there actually werent any, so i just exported with the INSERT IGNORE option, i dont know how many rows i missed, i guess i will find out if my PHPBB forums stop working sometime, it was only the forums_word_search table anyway, so its probably no biggy... i hope

4) There were a couple of functions i added to my utils.php to emulate the PHP5 functionality, stripos was one of them, had to remove it... no biggy

5) I initially changed the "$dbms = 'mysql4';" line in the config.php for my PHPBB forums to 'mysql5', this was a mistake, it stays at mysql4.

Hope this info helps other people

Snow Gun

Post by Snow Gun » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Snow Gun wrote:All good so far. Only 2 probs I have now, are I have forgotten my DB password (what I thought it was - it wasn't) and once I find it, I don't know where to upload it to...... ie I download it from here - https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/ but where do I upload it to?
OK, so I have overcome the DB access issue. I was using the wrong username (didn't realise it was USER0236245689 - as opposed to 0236245689)

Still need to know the upload place for the DB......

(and that isn't my phone number - it is an example).

ajc1

Post by ajc1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 pm

If for example my webspace is currently home.exetel.com.au/xxxx can I now apply for the same name on the new server or does it have to be different to home.exetel.com.au/xxxx.
If I can have the same webspace name, could I have a webpages setup on the new server identical to the current one so that when the current one is switched off, the new one would automatically become active thus avoiding the need to use temporary.home.exetel.com.au?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm

ajc1 wrote:If for example my webspace is currently home.exetel.com.au/xxxx can I now apply for the same name on the new server or does it have to be different to home.exetel.com.au/xxxx.
The same. Infact we made sure that noone else could take your old site name.
If I can have the same webspace name, could I have a webpages setup on the new server identical to the current one so that when the current one is switched off, the new one would automatically become active thus avoiding the need to use temporary.home.exetel.com.au?
Sure (if I understand you correctly). Not sure if that'll cause problems for you in testing to make sure you transfered your site correctly, though. Once the crossover period ends home.exetel.com.au will point to the new server so your new site will be accessible via home.exetel.com.au.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Snow Gun wrote:
Snow Gun wrote:All good so far. Only 2 probs I have now, are I have forgotten my DB password (what I thought it was - it wasn't) and once I find it, I don't know where to upload it to...... ie I download it from here - https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/ but where do I upload it to?
OK, so I have overcome the DB access issue. I was using the wrong username (didn't realise it was USER0236245689 - as opposed to 0236245689)

Still need to know the upload place for the DB......
URL for the new mydbadmin is provided in the first post.

Andrew

CCCs

Post by CCCs » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 pm

Anyone having trouble ftp'ing files off the old home.exetel.com.au server?

I am getting timeouts and disconnects when I try to ftp files off the old server....

Do I use my new login created for the new server or the old login for the old server?

tekkyy

Re: .htaccess problem

Post by tekkyy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:19 am

SysAdmin wrote: Correct. I've allowed "DirectoryIndex" (don't know why I left that off) but not all Options statements (only MultiViews).
are there any plans to turn "Options +Index" back on?

sunnybear

Post by sunnybear » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:56 am

phelum wrote:
phelum wrote:Do you want a PHP script that will do this? Please ask if you do and I'll supply details. I also baulked at the idea of downloading everything and then uploading it.

Hope this helps
wow..it only took 3 sec to transfer...
nice work
thanks a lot

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 am

phelum wrote:
Thank you for this. I've put in a link from the first post to your post so that people can find it easily.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:05 am

TheToid wrote:Finally got my site ported over had a few issues, namely:
Thank you for the information. I've linked to it from the first post so that people have an easier time finding it.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:03 am

SysAdmin wrote:
saint wrote:Second, I'm assuming phpMyAdmin shouldn't be allowing us to create extra databases... especially since we can't drop them either.
Hrmph. This shall be fixed tomorrow morning and any databases that aren't official shall be removed. I really hate MySQL as I tested this and it failed to make one for me. Most annoying.
Well I found out what happened there. MySQL does not attach any authorization to any object. It's all pattern matching, which leads to subtle problems such as the one above where the _ isn't an underscore but a match any char pattern token. I've fixed this by removing the underscore from all db and user names. I've also changed the 15 or so websites that use the db so no one needs to change anything (except possibly their notes). The interface shall be fixed as soon as a developer has a moment to spare.

Apologies for that. The more I use MySQL the more I learn to love it, much like one would learn to love mosquitoes when stuck in a tropical bog in the middle of summer, late in the afternoon.

Andrew