Off Peak Time

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ForumAdmin

Off Peak Time

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:01 am

The original off peak time (in March 2004) was 1 am to 9 am and was 'managed' differently to how it's managed today.

From that time there have been changes made to the time and the method of management approximately every 6 months as Exetel grew and the demographics of its users constantly changed.

As you would know off peak time is currently designated as 12 midnight to 12 noon and has been for over 12 months.

One issue with starting off peak time at 12 midnight is that too many of Exetel's 'newer' users start their 'set and forget' download managers at exactly midnight rather than what the more experienced (and thoughtful) users who start their P2P downloads after 2 am - it makes no difference to the user of the downloads what time they are started - 10 hours a day should be far more than enough for any download 'program'.

It would be appreciated if you are using timed downloads that you would NOT set them to start at midnight but set them to start at 2 am or later.

Our objective in providing the generous time and download amount in the off peak period was, and is, to provide unused bandwidth to our users at no charge. If you look at the MRTG reports you will see that there is plenty of spare bandwidth from 2 am through to 8 am. It would be beneficial to you, and to all other Exetel users if you would try, as far as possible, to use this time frame to set P2P downloads to start.

roby

Re: Off Peak Time

Post by roby » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:34 pm

well said

alburyman

Post by alburyman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Dam thats like me saying, look Ill say that Ill pay my internet fee of $87 per month, but can you only take $60, as my wife and kids need the other $27..come on play the game and not penalise us, as this is what u stated when we joined...My feelings at the moment are not nice and am restraining my comments to the max.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:17 pm

alburyman wrote:Dam thats like me saying, look Ill say that Ill pay my internet fee of $87 per month, but can you only take $60, as my wife and kids need the other $27..come on play the game and not penalise us, as this is what u stated when we joined...My feelings at the moment are not nice and am restraining my comments to the max.
I think for anyone that that falls into the category of a scheduled downloader it's not an unreasonable request, there is still ample time to do the downloads and it would take a load off the system, would you prefer they had to take evasive action and just reduce the hours for all or cut the system altogether?

It never ceases to amaze me that the people that complain the most couldn't all possibly be using scheduled P2P downloads for totally legitimate purposes (not saying this is your case, just generalising)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

alburyman wrote:Dam thats like me saying, look Ill say that Ill pay my internet fee of $87 per month, but can you only take $60, as my wife and kids need the other $27..come on play the game and not penalise us, as this is what u stated when we joined...My feelings at the moment are not nice and am restraining my comments to the max.
Not really, the uncounted period has always been offered on the basis that it can be changed at any time or withdrawn completely:

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php#toggle2.

It's actually been changed many times over the past four and a half years.

kogi

Post by kogi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm in favour of the NetEnforcer running in off peak
But only if it doesn't effect game pings and such

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:58 am

kogi wrote:I'm in favour of the NetEnforcer running in off peak
But only if it doesn't effect game pings and such
Unless a particular game has an 'odd' signature the NE cannot affect game pings or any other HTTP traffic which always gets priority with whatever remaining bandwidth usable by P2P traffic.

Most of the recent network upgrades in Sydney and also to a lesser extent in Brisbane and Melbourne have been done with the aim of simplifying the network topology (Installing Cisco 100000s and 6500s to reduce the number of physical devices and therefore connections by 2/3) and to progressively add more direct IP bandwidth (together with redundant routing) to the interstate PoPs.

By removing the Optus IP bandwidth from the two Sydney PoPs and adding to the two Verizon links better balancing and therefore control over P2P influence on the whole network can be done better.

Changing the base topology of a largish network takes time and this work will not be fully complete until February/march next year but more than 50% has now been completed.

As more customers sign up to use the Exetel broadband services any 'anomaly' in usage patterns will become more pronounced. We have worked with our customers for more than four and a half years to try to make the 'free download' allowances and the periods in which they are used the best available from any provider in Australia and, I think, we and our customers have largely achieved that. As this upward trend, hopefully, continues we need to minimize any 'waste' of bandwidth (just as we have always tried to do) to ensure that prices remain the lowest from any Australian provider and to do that to the maximum possible we, and our customers, need to move as much P2P traffic as possible to the least used periods of the day.

If you look at the various MRTG reports (and if you know something about the usual usage patterns achieved by an ISP) you will see that Exetel and its customers are very efficient uses of the available bandwidth at most times of the day - top tp line of most graphs tracking only a little below the maximum capacity for a high proportion of the day. Over the time we've had the 'free time' in operation we have gradually improved bandwidth utilization from mid 70%s to high 80%s - many days getting to low 90%s. This is an unheard of achievement for such a large number of diverse users on a network but we need, if possible, to make it even more efficient.

You can help mitigate the future impact of less knowledgeable users by setting timed downloads to start in the least used times of the day. Your assistance will ensure that the maximum possible time together with the maximum possible download allowances continue well into the future as Exetel attempts to double the number of broadband users over the coming twelve months.

The alternative is to simply reduce the 'free download time' - something that would be against your, our and every other Exetel user's interests.

A 12 hour a day 'free' period with a very large allowance is a valuable resource - it would be helpful if sensible and reasonable Exetel users assisted to keep it in its current form for the foreseeable future.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

If you don't lose the smart mouth and play fair, Exetel will introduce an Acceptable Use Policy. Then if I complain, they'll log you out. :P :P :P :P :P

Why are retail customers so full of crap? Why are they so bloody loud? I have an entry in my T&C's which says if you are rude or annoying I can terminate the contract.

I feel much better now, thank you. :mrgreen:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

rusty100

Post by rusty100 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:51 am

> too many of Exetel's 'newer' users start their 'set and forget' download managers at exactly midnight

I can see that is an issue but it is hard to imagine that enough users will cooperate with staggered starts particularly new users.

Would it be any use to throttle P2P from 12 am to 1 am on a needs basis?

Personally I am more concerned to maintain the free download quota than the exact starting and stopping times

Cheers

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:52 pm

rusty100 wrote:> too many of Exetel's 'newer' users start their 'set and forget' download managers at exactly midnight

I can see that is an issue but it is hard to imagine that enough users will cooperate with staggered starts particularly new users.

Would it be any use to throttle P2P from 12 am to 1 am on a needs basis?

Personally I am more concerned to maintain the free download quota than the exact starting and stopping times

Cheers
Exetel can turn P2P bandwidth 'up' or 'down' at any time it chooses to do that.

I opened this thread to point out to any 'sensible' person that P2P should only be used when there is spare bandwidth.

Personally, I don't care how some few individuals view their relationship with Exetel - unfortunately for the tiny percentage of d***heads who are Exetel customers they will, eventually, have to come to the understanding that "Exetel" control their use of the service in the best interests of ALL users of the service and their claims of "their rights' are meaningless in commercial terms to us - we don't care if they move to another provider.

I'm really happy that over 500 of the first thousand users of the Exetel ADSL service are still Exetel customers after four and a half years - I take that as a vote of confidence of the quality of service we provided over a long period of time.

We can, as we have just done, use our P2P constraint capabilities to heavily restrict P2P traffic from 12 midnight to 2 am. It would have been better, and will be better, for those unthinking P2P down loaders to 'voluntarily' start P2P downloads after 2am - which most 'old' Exetel users do - that is something that Exetel will deal with. Basically we will deal with it by ensuring that you don't stay as an Exetel customer.

Personally, my commitment of the many hours I work each day, 7 days a week, is to ensure we provide the lowest cost service at the highest possible speeds to all of our customers. If that involves removing a tiny percentage of customers who don't share that view then, I will do that.

I really value Exetel very, very highly - which is why, for almost five years, I've worked over 80 hours a week to try and make the services we offer the very best they can possibly be. I value people who don't value Exetel highly as people who should use another ISP.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I really value Exetel very, very highly. I value people who don't value Exetel highly as people who should use another ISP.
I'm gonna use that!! The names and places will, of course, be changed. :mrgreen:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 pm

I really value Exetel very, very highly. I value people who don't value Exetel highly as people who should use another ISP.
Yep, there's plenty of other ISPs to choose from, if they don't like Exetel's T&C's and the services they provide.

May I suggest they move to BogPond & see what they pay after 12gb of usage :roll:

kogi

Post by kogi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:10 pm

alburyman:

I think the point is, exetel have no problems with you using your full quota. In fact, I do it every month.
But, they are asking, for the downloaders to be considerate of other people, and schedule their downloads to start after 2am. Thus putting less strain on the network between 12am and 2am, and thus exetel will not have to make any drastic changes to off-peak.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 pm

maybe some people are just greedy

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: It would have been better, and will be better, for those unthinking P2P down loaders to 'voluntarily' start P2P downloads after 2am - which most 'old' Exetel users do - that is something that Exetel will deal with. Basically we will deal with it by ensuring that you don't stay as an Exetel customer.
If this is the new policy then I would prefer if you moved the Offpeak start time to 2am

Few customers read this forum, this will cause problems for some.

We are moving back to some customers who take full advantage of the Offpeak period being classed as "Abusers" again. We don't need this.

Just keep it simple in my opinion.