some sites don't work anymore with my new NB5Plus4W

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
brysue

some sites don't work anymore with my new NB5Plus4W

Post by brysue » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 am

I have recently replaced a NB1300Plus4 with a new NB5Plus4W modem router and am having frustrates with some specific sites that worked fine before. The sites I'm now having difficulty tend to be ones (but not all ones) in which I enter information (eg Optus recharge page, msn login, UNSW online scholarship application, NSW Board of studies downloads of old HSC papers). The sorts of error signals I receive are (this one comes from being unable to now access http://www.emu.mu/)
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@emu.mu and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server
error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while
trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
mod_jk/1.2.25 PHP/5.2.6 Server at www.emu.mu Port 80
I run several Macs (all running OSX) off the modem and my usual browser is Safari but I get the same results with other browsers. I am also running a wireless Belkin router off the NB5Plus4W (I haven't connected the antenna to the NB5Plus 4W) - all of this is unchanged from when everything worked before changing to the NB5Plus4W.

I would dearly love help since I'm pretty much a computer novice.

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Re: some sites don't work anymore with my new NB5Plus4W

Post by DylanF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:03 am

brysue wrote:I have recently replaced a NB1300Plus4 with a new NB5Plus4W modem router and am having frustrates with some specific sites that worked fine before. The sites I'm now having difficulty tend to be ones (but not all ones) in which I enter information (eg Optus recharge page, msn login, UNSW online scholarship application, NSW Board of studies downloads of old HSC papers). The sorts of error signals I receive are (this one comes from being unable to now access http://www.emu.mu/)
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@emu.mu and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server
error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while
trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
mod_jk/1.2.25 PHP/5.2.6 Server at http://www.emu.mu Port 80
I run several Macs (all running OSX) off the modem and my usual browser is Safari but I get the same results with other browsers. I am also running a wireless Belkin router off the NB5Plus4W (I haven't connected the antenna to the NB5Plus 4W) - all of this is unchanged from when everything worked before changing to the NB5Plus4W.

I would dearly love help since I'm pretty much a computer novice.
http://www.emu.mu/ looks like it is having problems of its own.

You should log in to your NB5Plus4W and adjust the MTU setting to 1492. When you do this, make sure you click on 'Enforce MTU' also. I believe this can be accessed (off the top of my head) by logging in to http://192.168.1.1 then going to advanced settings -> SETUP (top tab) -> PPPoE (or Quick Start) connection from left hand menu. The option should be on that page.

Any other issues, or if you're unable to find this let me know and I'll dig out some detailed instructions.

Dylan

brysue

Post by brysue » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 am

thanks Dylan for the interest and suggestion.

All the settings were already as you suggested ie MTU was already set to 1492 and the enforce MTU was already selected. I had played around with the MTU before without any real progress.. not really knowing fully what I was doing though.

I half wondered if the emu site was having issues. I should have mentioned that often the other sites I'm trying to access comes back with
408 Request Time-out

Your browser didn't send a complete request in time.

any other suggestions gladly accepted.

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Post by DylanF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:37 am

Definitely sounds like a packet sized related issue to me.

Your IP address seems fine, and no issues with that on our network. Have you tried this on another computer, or using a different internet browser? The sites you have mentioned to me sound like most if not all are using HTTPS, and when they break it is a good indication that your packet size is incorrect.

Try to adjust it down (anything under 1492 should be OK) - perhaps 1450. If you have not powercycled the modem try that first before changing settings.

If you have a chance to, feel free to enable remote administration and shoot me a private message - I can log in and take a look for you.

Of course, it could also be security programs / settings on your PC that have just gone in to paranoid mode with the new modem. If you're having this issue on another PC, or after turning these off though - see above.

brysue

Post by brysue » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Adjusting the packet size to 1450 doesn't seem to have helped. I'm running Macs and don't really have an extra security programs operating.

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Post by DylanF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi,

As per your PM if you have managed to isolate the issue to a particular device - you can go through the following steps to configure remote administration of the unit. Doing this will allow me to connect and assist you with the other issues you have raised. PM me when you have configured it.
1.jpg
1.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Dylan