Nimbuzz VoIP over HSPA/mobile

Old, inactive threads
David_h
Exetel Staff

Nimbuzz VoIP over HSPA/mobile

Post by David_h » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Nimbuzz

This program works on mobiles and can be found at http://www.nimbuzz.com

To get the program sent to your mobile, simply visit the website and enter your phone number, this sends an sms to your phone which contains a link which allows you to download and install the program.

Once the software is installed you will be asked a series of questions, This allows the program permission to use use the speaker and to access the hspa service. You should select the Exetel as your carrier here.

You will then be prompted to login or register. If you don't have a login, you can register in the program. You will need to enter a:
-Username
-Password
-email (for if you forget password)

It will ask you if you want to enable the Buzz feature, this is an internal messaging service, I selected yes.

To help you enter your phone number correctly it asks a series of questions to establish your location.
Select Oceania then Australia.

Once this is done, enter your phone number. Nimbuzz will register to the server, you can then connect to an IM system like msn, yahoo or ICQ, however I am not covering their configuration in this post atm.

To Add the Exetel VoIP service go to

Options -> settings -> Sip accounts-> Other

The details you should enter are as follows

Username : your_voip_number@sip1.exetel.com.au
Password : your_VoIP_ password
Proxy : sip1.exetel.com.au

Once this is done, you should now be able to use NimBuzz to make VoIP calls.

If you want to make a VoIP call simply press the call button and select internet call then dial the number or select a number from the phone book.

The test calls I've made so far have been crystal clear with no noticable delay in the conversation.
-David

vk3xem

Re: Nimbuzz VoIP over HSPA/mobile

Post by vk3xem » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Good review David. :)
David_h wrote:It will ask you if you want to enable the Buzz feature, this is an internal messaging service, I selected yes.
I've done some reading on the Nimbuzz website and it appears the Buzz feature will 'prank' call your mobile phone if a contact is trying to contact you, it recommended you add +31313131 as a phone book contact so you know to login. This feature is also enhanced with the ability to put links/buttons on your different social networks like Facebook, etc, on your website and even email signatures that enable people to contact you via Nimbuzz even if they don't have the software installed.

It appears to be a powerful application and uses little resources on my Nokia N82. The software is even available on PC and Mac, as well as numerous mobile devices. The only possible downfall I see is that Skype voice calls actually are routed through a Sydney landline number +61290371950 rather than a data cconnection, although users on the new HSPA data plans it won't be an issue.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 am

Hi vk3xem

Yes, i've read a little more on it now. Its a very handy application.

I haven't yet tested the Skype function, however the msn seemed to work quite well. Though for our purposes the VoIP function is of most interest to us.

I'm glad you found the review/guide useful.
-David

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:07 pm

So...
Would Exetel recommend Fring or Nimbuzz?
How is the implementation of a local/exetel Fring server going? Any word back from Fring?

T.

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:19 pm

The Fring project is ongoing.

As for a recommendation on which program to use, we just wanted to present another program that could be used with the HSPA/VoIP service.

I've found either program to have good voice quality and acceptable latency
-David

closey

Post by closey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 pm

I've found the latency/reliability of VOIP of HSDPA to be closely related to the reliability of the network at the particular time you are calling. This is with both fring and Nimbuzz... I suspect the most lag will be caused from the 3G network and not the internet routing.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:20 am

I have found something similar.

I have been using fring exclusively over the last week and I get two main results:

1) Quality is never a problem - the person I'm calling can't tell the difference between a fring quality and land line/mobile quality.

2) The delay can be almost nothing to noticeable - but I don't see any correlation between the location I'm calling from and any delay.

closey

Post by closey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm really really liking Nimbuzz compared to fring...

I suspect it routes SIP calls directly instead of via their own server, because I made some SIP calls internal on my own LAN/wifi and there was a lot less lag. (Calling Nimbuzz Windows -> Nimbuzz Mobile, via SIP).

Interestingly, calling Nimbuzz Windows -> Nimbuzz mobile using the actual nimbuzz calling method results in a bit of latency, because I think in that case the call is being routed overseas, at a guess. But this method does have the bonus of being able to 'Buzz' your friends which basically starts up Nimbuzz on their phones if it isn't running already, in order to have it ready to take a call... really quite nifty! Now I just have to convice some people to use it :P

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Iphone version of Nimbuzz just released, Wi-Fi only for voice at this stage http://appshopper.com/social-networking/nimbuzz

praetor

Post by praetor » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:00 am

ive been having problems in that Nimbuzz kept saying it doesnt recognize my voip number..... anyone have a similar issue? :cry:

closey

Post by closey » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:01 am

praetor wrote:ive been having problems in that Nimbuzz kept saying it doesnt recognize my voip number..... anyone have a similar issue? :cry:
The phone number you enter into Nimbuzz should be your mobile number (e.g. 61 401 234 567). The SIP settings number should be your VOIP number (e.g. 02 9123 4567).

praetor

Post by praetor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am

Silly me :oops: Thanks Closey :D

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 pm

David_h wrote:Nimbuzz

Once the software is installed you will be asked a series of questions, This allows the program permission to use use the speaker and to access the hspa service. You should select the Exetel as your carrier here.
To Add the Exetel VoIP service go to

Options -> settings -> Sip accounts-> Other
I downloaded the Windows Mobile Touch Screen version directly to my HTC Hermes (Jasjam/TyTyn) but it didn't ask me the series of questions about the speaker/hspa, and it doesn't have a Options/Settings/Sip/Other menu... Only a Settings option with no mention of SIP anywhere!

I think I'm going mad, or did I somehow get the wrong version?

EDIT: I see Nimbuzz only supports SIP in the Symbian phone version, not the Windows phone version :(

From: http://forum.nimbuzz.com/index.php?acti ... &topic=937
"Hello,
SIp accounts/ SIp calling is supported in Symbian devices.
We will support SIP soon in the Windows Mobile devices,
Sorry for the confusion.
Regards"

newiemark

Post by newiemark » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:49 pm

I have been trying to make calls with Exetel HSPDA via VOIP using Nimbuzz with a Nokia E51 and 6121 classic and have been disappointed with the call quality. Calls have been regularly dropping out, and are intermittent ("I can't hear you" etc). Is there anything I can do to improve on the calling quality at all?

I have been trialling this mostly in the Glenelg suburb of Adelaide, but also in other surrounding suburbs with a similar result.

Does anyone have suggestions to improve call quality?

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 am

Hi newiemark,

The Nimbuzz application has reached version 1 so you can try updateing to that. It's likely any problems you were seeing would be fixed with that.

My own recent testing has found the Nimbuzz application to have good quality calls though there was the occasional dropout.

I've found the application to be useful all round and since it's hit version 1 it seems to be more stable.

Though no real changes have been made to the UI (which could see some improvement) version 1 is a very real improvement.
-David