Billed by two ISPs?

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
ToastOfDoom

Billed by two ISPs?

Post by ToastOfDoom » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:45 am

I recently just moved from a ADSL plan with SOUL to a ADSL2 (inc phone) plan with Exetel just last month (i believe i was billed prorata from the 27th). Anyways, come December, I received a bill from SOUL charging me internet for the month of December. I called them up and ask what was going on, and they told me that they didn't receive a cancellation notice and so kept charging.

Now... I don't know who's fault this is, but when i signed up with Exetel, I was told that I didn't have to do anything in regards canceling services with my previous provider. Obviously this was not the case. So... who do I have to chase up to get an explanation of things? Frankly I've been rather unhappy with the Exetel service ever since signing up for it (it took a month chasing up for the application to go through and when it did, I get random drop-outs/speed-drops for which I am still currently chasing up).

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Billed by two ISPs?

Post by jokiin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 am

Every time I have churned I have always contacted the previous ISP to cancel the service, I don't remember anytime when it has happened automatically

If you are having drop out issue though please start a thread in the appropriate section if you want help to fix it, ADSL2 is not like ADSL1 and you may need a stability profile on your line if there are issues

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Of course you need to let your old provider know, they aren't clairvoyant, so please chase this up with them - they should see that there was no usage from your churn date onwards, and that you were no longer connected to their network.

flak

Post by flak » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:11 am

James wrote:Of course you need to let your old provider know, they aren't clairvoyant, so please chase this up with them - they should see that there was no usage from your churn date onwards, and that you were no longer connected to their network.
They don't need to be clairvoyant, they just need to process the churn loss report from Telstra.

The churning user should not have to contact the old ISP, it should be handled automatically by each party. That being said, it can't hurt to call them to avoid situations like this.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

flak wrote:
James wrote:Of course you need to let your old provider know, they aren't clairvoyant, so please chase this up with them - they should see that there was no usage from your churn date onwards, and that you were no longer connected to their network.
They don't need to be clairvoyant, they just need to process the churn loss report from Telstra.

The churning user should not have to contact the old ISP, it should be handled automatically by each party. That being said, it can't hurt to call them to avoid situations like this.
Those reports aren't always accurate, and the user should always contact their ISP to ensure it has been cancelled.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:07 pm

I have used a number of ISPs over the years for ADSL and ADSL2+ services in different locations.

Each time I have churned I make sure to email the ISP, telling them I have left them and requesting them to close my account.

I have found that the ISP service agreements usually require you to do so within 30 days of the churn.

One "trick for young players" I learnt early on is to not request them to cancell the service - as there is the risk (due to timing changes) that you can end up with a "new service" and not a churn.

I have found changing ISPs is not the same as changing mobile phone providers!

Regards,

Harry.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm

hornet48 wrote:I have used a number of ISPs over the years for ADSL and ADSL2+ services in different locations.

Each time I have churned I make sure to email the ISP, telling them I have left them and requesting them to close my account.

I have found that the ISP service agreements usually require you to do so within 30 days of the churn.

One "trick for young players" I learnt early on is to not request them to cancell the service - as there is the risk (due to timing changes) that you can end up with a "new service" and not a churn.

I have found changing ISPs is not the same as changing mobile phone providers!

Regards,

Harry.
good advice, I've always done likewise :)