Migration Of ADSL1 Customers To Optus ADSL2

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Migration Of ADSL1 Customers To Optus ADSL2

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:The email that will be sent is this:

We would like you to consider moving from your current ADSL1 service to the much faster ADSL2 service that is available to you but stay paying the same price per month for the same data downloads that you are currently paying. But significantly reducing your telephone line rental cost and your telephone call charges
This last sentence is hanging and doesn't make sense. In fact, this first paragraph reads a bit hazardously.

Also, the email doesn't explicitly state what happens with regards to contract terms. Would this email only go to people with ADSL1 services that are out of contract? And would the migration deal be the same as the INC2DSL plans (i.e. a new 12 month contract)?
It doesn't offer any inc2dsl plans and only offers specific 'like for like' ADSL1 plans at a faster speed with a $15.00 telephone line cost.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:06 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
There is no "down time" involved in transferring from your ADSL1 service to the ADSL2 service - it will happen automatically.
This I would consider needs to be highlighted as it's an important consideration in many users minds, the other thing that I think needs to be made clear is that their phone number will not change as I'm sure some people won't know if this is a requirement or not without it being mentioned

fishman911

Post by fishman911 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:00 pm

I think you need to rethink your pricing strategy (unless I've misunderstood something in which case please correct me).

I've just been offered to switch to plan TELT (O) at $75/month + $15/month line rental=$90/month. This will give me 24Gb peak download (matching my current ADSL 512/512 plan).

However, existing ADSL2 plan INC2DSLC available to any one off the street costs $55/month + $30/month line rental=$85 total. This also includes 24Gb peak download.

How is this good value? I'll pay $5 more per month than everyone else for the download allowance?

Now, I can see how this pricing strategy would make sense if I was on a more lowly ADSL1 plan, eg TL-BB (512/256) is $60/month for 27Gb. So, if I was on this cheaper plan (with lower ADSL1 upload speed), my ADSL2 offer would be for 27Gb at $60+$15=$75 total/month -> 3Gb more per month than what I've been offered and $15/month cheaper!

That offer I might have actually considered.

I think you've been too caught up in "price parity" with existing plans without thinking through the impact of the price-premium paid by users of faster ADSL1 plans (not that 512/512 is fast by any means but it's always been a "premium" priced plan).

Am I missing something?

fishman

loudon

Post by loudon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm

fishman911 wrote:I think you need to rethink your pricing strategy (unless I've misunderstood something in which case please correct me).

I've just been offered to switch to plan TELT (O) at $75/month + $15/month line rental=$90/month. This will give me 24Gb peak download (matching my current ADSL 512/512 plan).

However, existing ADSL2 plan INC2DSLC available to any one off the street costs $55/month + $30/month line rental=$85 total. This also includes 24Gb peak download.

How is this good value? I'll pay $5 more per month than everyone else for the download allowance?

fishman
A $10-15 per month discount to any chosen ADSL2 plan would be more attractive.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:36 pm

That would suggest there is $10 - $15 of margin on each plan.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:34 pm

will the customers IP address change? I've got a few customers that have received this offer but there's one or two that have a setup that is configured for the current IP address they have, it will take some extra work if this needs to change (more work for me) so I need to know what happens here

Also one customer has the Telstra Message bank service which they use and have asked if there is a similar service available, I haven't used the Optus based service so wasn't sure, anyone?

flak

Post by flak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:To gain the advantage of these much faster speeds you will need to transfer your telephone line rental from your current provider to Exetel. Exetel only charge $15.00 per month for telephone line rental which is much less than you are paying right now. Exetel will also bill you for your telephone calls, but again, Exetel’s call rates are very low and can be found here:
How long will the discounted $15 line rental be honoured for? From memory those who moved to Exetel in. Phone plans in the early days got $15 rental for the length of their contracts, then it increased to $25.

Also, perhaps the neccessity to waive the CSG should have been mentioned, but since the email has already been sent out it is too late.

Omo|Perth

Post by Omo|Perth » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:57 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Unfortunately, AAPT only has 116 of its own exchanges compared to the 404 (or whatever it is now) that Optus has. (I understand that AAPT also wholesales the iinet ADSL2 exchanges but we chose not to transfer Exetel users to those exchanges).
Is their a list of the current exchanges. Is this list updated regulary?
Why aren't you using iiNet. Netspace and WestNet use iiNet and they have no problems with it?
Will you ever use iiNet again?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm

flak wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:To gain the advantage of these much faster speeds you will need to transfer your telephone line rental from your current provider to Exetel. Exetel only charge $15.00 per month for telephone line rental which is much less than you are paying right now. Exetel will also bill you for your telephone calls, but again, Exetel’s call rates are very low and can be found here:
1) How long will the discounted $15 line rental be honoured for?

2) From memory those who moved to Exetel in. Phone plans in the early days got $15 rental for the length of their contracts, then it increased to $25.

3) Also, perhaps the neccessity to waive the CSG should have been mentioned, but since the email has already been sent out it is too late.
1) There is no plan to change these special plans.

2) I defer to your memory but I don't think it was ever $15.00 - and in all cases the split between the telephone line charge and the ADSL access charge is purely arbitrary - there is no separate charge to Exetel.

3) It's clearly in the order form and has to be specifically accepted.

The basis of this offer is that the end user pays the same as they do for their ADSL1 plan but saves between $16.00 and $6.00 on their phone remtal line. (and almost certainly their telephone call charges).

Everything else we have tried hasn't seemed to work so we are trying making the two benefits:

a) Faster speeds

b) Cheaper phone line

"crystal" clear.

Perhaps it will work - maybe it won't - I'm not holding my breath.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Omo|Perth wrote:
1) Is their a list of the current exchanges.

2) Is this list updated regulary?

3) Why aren't you using iiNet. Netspace and WestNet use iiNet and they have no problems with it?
Will you ever use iiNet again?
1) No - just the SQ.

2) Yes.

3) Westnet = iinet. Netspace will learn their lesson. Our experience with using iinet exchanges was horrific - in every aspect of provisioning, fault resolution, speed and, worst of all, having iinet telesales calling up the customers we submitted saying there were no wholesale ports but iinet had reserved spare ports for their own us and would they like to sign up with iinet..

John Dalton

Post by John Dalton » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm one of Exetel's "errant" ASDL1 customers. I also happen to be attached to a Powertel enabled exchange and have received "the offer". I would love to transfer to ADSL2 and have been making enquiries to do so over the last 12 months, but the answer keeps coming back as "no can do".

1) I'm happy to transfer my rental BUT my phone line has three numbers associated with it and these numbers cannot change. The second and third numbers are via Telstra's "faxstream duet" and "multiple number" options. Exetel seems unable to supply a PSTN line and transfer the three numbers to it. Do it and I'm in like a shot.

Okay, lets not give up that easily. How about I keep my rental with Telstra and transfer to an unbundled ADSL2 plan (eg. PTL A)? After all my exchange is Powertel enabled and has free ports.

2) The next hurdle is that I keep on getting conflicting replies as to how much downtime is involved in this transfer. I cannot currently afford to lose my Internet connection for 7-10 working days. 20 minutes is okay though. Until I can be guaranteed of a quick transfer I cannot change.

So there's the challenge Exetel: give me definitive answers to the above and if they fit my needs you will have one more customer happily transferred.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

fishman911 wrote:I think you need to rethink your pricing strategy (unless I've misunderstood something in which case please correct me).

Now, I can see how this pricing strategy would make sense if I was on a more lowly ADSL1 plan, eg TL-BB (512/256) is $60/month for 27Gb. So, if I was on this cheaper plan (with lower ADSL1 upload speed), my ADSL2 offer would be for 27Gb at $60+$15=$75 total/month -> 3Gb more per month than what I've been offered and $15/month cheaper!

That offer I might have actually considered.

I think you've been too caught up in "price parity" with existing plans without thinking through the impact of the price-premium paid by users of faster ADSL1 plans (not that 512/512 is fast by any means but it's always been a "premium" priced plan).

Am I missing something?

fishman
Maybe you're right - I have been setting ADSL plans for over 7 years but I may well be a clueless idiot.

If you, 15,000 other people, had wanted to change to any of the current ADSL2 then you can always do that and could have done that at any time from July 2007 onwards.

You, 15,000 other people haven't done that despite being offered the chance several times over the past year - the last time as recently as last month.

So, this time, we have tried to make it simpler by:

1) No charge to change plans instead of the usual $40.00 charge (which will increase to something higher soon).

2) No contract term instead of 12 months

3) Same price as you are presumably happy to pay now for a faster ADSL....but a $6.00 to $16.00 cheaper phone line rental and cheaper phone call charges for most people.

PLUS:

4) If you then want to change to any of the "standard" ASL2 plans at ANY TIME after the "special offer" change then you can do that at no charge and at any time BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO ADSL2 CONTRACT TERM.

Personally - it seems straight forward.....but then what would I know? I've certainly failed every other time I've tried to make it happen.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:55 pm

John Dalton wrote:I'm one of Exetel's "errant" ASDL1 customers. I also happen to be attached to a Powertel enabled exchange and have received "the offer". I would love to transfer to ADSL2 and have been making enquiries to do so over the last 12 months, but the answer keeps coming back as "no can do".

1) I'm happy to transfer my rental BUT my phone line has three numbers associated with it and these numbers cannot change. The second and third numbers are via Telstra's "faxstream duet" and "multiple number" options. Exetel seems unable to supply a PSTN line and transfer the three numbers to it. Do it and I'm in like a shot.

Okay, lets not give up that easily. How about I keep my rental with Telstra and transfer to an unbundled ADSL2 plan (eg. PTL A)? After all my exchange is Powertel enabled and has free ports.

2) The next hurdle is that I keep on getting conflicting replies as to how much downtime is involved in this transfer. I cannot currently afford to lose my Internet connection for 7-10 working days. 20 minutes is okay though. Until I can be guaranteed of a quick transfer I cannot change.

So there's the challenge Exetel: give me definitive answers to the above and if they fit my needs you will have one more customer happily transferred.
1) No we cant transfer DUET lines - but do you really need a fax line?

2) Both Powertel (mostly) and Optus (virtualy every time) are virtualy no downtime - but - sh** happens and in the case of Powertel sometimes it's a horror story - not often but 1 in 150 transfers goes wrong.

noki388

Post by noki388 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:15 pm

hello, i too have received the offer and looking to transfer but need a few things confirmed.

1. is this still telstra infrasture that it is based on, but wholesaled from optus
2. do i keep my current phone number.
3. can i keep my number silent.
3. if i decide to leave exetel, am i restricted in who i can go to or are the options the same as they are currently.

many thanks for your help

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 pm

1. Telstra copper wire to the exchange, where Optus equipment terminates the service.
2. Yes, it's a requirement to port the current number over.
3. Yes, there is no additional charge for this.
3(b). Leaving Exetel after cutover depends on the provider. Leaving for another Optus ADSL2+ provider can be done with minimal delay (3 days typically), a Telstra based provider would be approximately 14 days, as the original connection process needs to be reversed.