Newcastle internet getting really slow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
framey

Re: Newcastle internet getting really slow

Post by framey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm on the Wolfe Street exchange and have had greatly reduced speeds for a couple of weeks now.
I've just logged a ticket.
Attachments
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (39.39 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (39.83 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:00 pm

If you are on Optus ADSL2+, then my previous comments apply:
"I can find a planned outage for 23/02 - 24/02 to upgrade Wolfe exchange with additional backhaul. This is an OPTUS outage, and isn't related to Hamilton exchange, or the slow speeds reported by others in this thread."

framey

Post by framey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Forgive my lack of tech savvy, does this mean my slow speeds are because the Optus exchange is overloaded and they will be providing greater capacity come the the 23rd?

ie after the 24th of Feb I should see a return to decent speeds?

Just want to be on the same page.

Cheers,
Stephen

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:29 pm

There is a planned outage to increase capacity, this may or may not resolve the speed issue, the best way to find out is to test after the 24/02.

owens

Post by owens » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

I thought things must have been fixed this morning did speed test was pretty good and then noticed things going slow again did another test now here are the two results,by the looks of the forum this problem is not isolated hopefully something will be done Monday the 16-2-09
Attachments
speed test am to pm.jpg
speed test am to pm.jpg (39.54 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

Cage-au

Post by Cage-au » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:43 pm

I am on the Charlestown exchange on Powertel ADSL2 even though I am supposed to be on Telstra ADSL1 and I have been getting very slow download speeds compared to what I normally get. Like some others have noticed it was noticeably better around 8am in the morning when I first checked it. I was getting about 2.5mbs at that time. Not nearly as good as what I normally get but much better then the 450-550kbs I am getting now and have been getting most of the past week.

To say I am not happy with being moved over to Powertel without my consent is an understatement as I deliberately stayed away from signing up for ADSL2 for this very reason. I was quite happy with my ADSL1 connection.

To make it worse the Exetel help-desk people I have been conversing with via email tell me I can choose to have a Telstra tech check my line for faults or Powertel check their equipment at the exchange. If I choose Telstra to check my line and its not the line I have to pay a fee of $110. If I choose Powertel to check their equipment at the exchange and they can't find the fault I have to pay a $220 fee. I should not have to try an guess which is the the most likely cause. All I know is it is NOT a problem with anything on my side of the phone socket.

I strongly suspect it is Powertel at fault as I don't have any problem with maintaining sync and I have no drop-out issues and sync speeds are good for my distance form the exchange, but I can't afford to be wrong and end up paying a possible $220 fee.

Deaths_Vengeance

Post by Deaths_Vengeance » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am

its the exact same issue i have on the Maitland exchange. and by reading these forums, alot of people are having this issue also. I get good speed busrts at about the same time at 8ish in the morning, after that it sits on 512 speeds for the downstream for the rest of the day.

Tox

Post by Tox » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 pm

So whats going on with this and all the other speed issues? According to the forum topics, it looks like ADSL2 speeds are slow all over the newcastle/hunter region !!!!!
So its not just the hamilton exchange as discussed at the beginning of this topic.
That must be 100's (or 1000's) of users being affected !!!!

Thanks,
Scott

bowserxj

Post by bowserxj » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:38 pm

not just over newcastle area, im in south sydney and am getting craphouse speeds, maxing out around 250kbs.

I hope whatever fixes the above problem will be the same for mine.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Hamilton exchange users:
1. Start menu->run then type cmd and press enter
2. type ftp usage.request.com.au
3. Username is speedtest
4. Password is testspeed
5. type get 5mb-filetest.bin

Please supply this information either - by post here, or by PM with your phone number included.

owens

Post by owens » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:16 pm

I cant complain that the speeds are not consistant, good in the morning and absolutley ridiculous later in the afternoon for ADSL2. surely the supplier must have some idea whats going on (are they professionals or not), just a little feedback would be great on what is actually causing the problem which seems to be widespread, I know its not really exetels fault on this problem but your the ones getting abused and also wasting your time trying to smooth things out.
Attachments
speed test am to pm3.jpg
speed test am to pm3.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 887 times

Dittohead

Post by Dittohead » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Jason, PM has been sent.

Tox

Post by Tox » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Jason, PM sent

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi All,

The supplier is investigating this issue internally, but the most recent update suggests progress is now being made.

Thanks!
Jason

Mano

Post by Mano » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 pm

How comes that doesn't let me enter the password?? the cursor keeps flashing, when type nothing comes up, also tried to copy an past.. still nothing.. only accepts the username.

Who else is still having issues with Newcastle? seriously this is starting to piss me off, how can it take this long to get fixed? I'm thinking changing ISP.. sick of this bullshit! 13.5kb/sec down nearly all day!
Pay 90/mth for this shit? might as well be on a bloody dial up plan!!

Get a refund an move else where!

It's always a "progress" never any action to keep the good speeds that we used to get! :x