Trouble accessing nintendo DSi shop

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
k.chen

Trouble accessing nintendo DSi shop

Post by k.chen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi,

I know this question sounds like it should be directed to Nintendo, but they've told me to contact Exetel for this problem as I've been getting error code 290220 for many days while trying to access the DSi shop, and they said it's an unusual problem.

The internet service is working fine. I am using a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, and was also able to update my software for DSi and connect online for a couple of games. So that means the only problem is accessing the shop. Nintendo customer service said it may be some block on the internet service to the shop, and told me to to set my modem -- allow the Wi-Fi connector's IP on exetel modem's DNS... as it got confusing I couldn't really understand what he said.

Since Macdonald's is not an option either, and I have yet to find other people with similar problems, it's getting quite frustrating.

Can anyone shed some light on how should I change my internet setting to enable access to DSi shop?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Trouble accessing nintendo DSi shop

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Is error code 290220 "There appears to be a temporary issue with the Nintendo DSi Shop. Please wait awhile and try your connection again later."?

If so, perhaps 2 things you can try:
  • Look for whereever in your DSi is says "obtain IP address automatically". Change this to "No" and set the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS manually. If you do not know what values you need to put in here, and you run Windows on another networked computer, open a Command Prompt window on this computer and type "IPCONFIG /all". Look for the IP address, gateway and subnet and copy them into the DSi, changing only the last number of the 4-number IP address to a large number like "200". The DNS IP address should match the gateway IP address
  • Look in your modem to see if there is any blacklist or blocking enabled (i.e. URL or content filtering, etc) and disable it as it might be blocking the outgoing connection and make you DSi think that the Shop is uncontactable
  • Temporarily disable any wireless security that you might have configured on your modem

k.chen

Post by k.chen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have disabled all my virus protection software (Windows Defender/ Norton), or allowed/trusted the Nintendo Wi-Fi.
When I used Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, the DSi shop seems to be the only problem.

I tried Manual Setup on the DSi, following your suggestions and the Nintendo site( http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... manual.jsp ), but I got another error code telling me there is no access point in range after the connection test.

As I am not sure if I followed the right procedures (nearly disabled my internet connection altogether), I PM-ed you a link to the screen shots.

PS: My plan type is WL1A, not sure if this bit of information is much help.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 am

k.chen wrote:but I got another error code telling me there is no access point in range after the connection test.
PS: My plan type is WL1A, not sure if this bit of information is much help.
OK. By your description and the screen shots you are on an Unwired plan. This makes it hard to diagnose and set up other wireless devices in your house (compounded by the fact that I am not too familiar with Unwired setups).

The usual broadband connection / wireless access point setup would involve, say, an ADSL2+ connection coming into a modem which has wireless capabilities. This wireless ADSL2+ modem would then broadcast an SSID / access point name which any device (PC, DSi, etc) can connect to by name, and if necessary, IP address, gateway, etc. This sort of setup enabled DSi connections without needing the USB Wi-Fi connector.

Your setup is not like this at all because you are on Unwired. You seem to have a netword card in the PC connected to the Unwired modem with a PPP adaptor on the PC performing the necessary authentication to Exetel. And my understanding is that the USB Wi-Fi adaptor plugs into the PC, installed a USB-to-ethernet driver that makes the computer think there is a second network card, and then uses Internet Connection Sharing feature of Windows to share the PC's internet connection to the DSi. So, in effect, your PC is the router.

Therefore, set your DSi IP address to match your PC but a unique last number (you have 192.168.0.200 which is good), the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (which you have) but change the gateway and the DNS server to 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of your PC). You can even try putting 220.233.0.3 as the secondary DNS server (this is Exetel's DNS address).

If things still don't work, try right-clicking the Ethernet Adaptor, Properties, Advanced, Windows Firewall settings, and temporarily turn off the firewall. Repeat with Ethernet Adapter 2 (i.e. the USB Wi-Fi connector). You can also try completely uninstalling Norton (because even when it is disabled it can interfere with things; in fact I would recommend you seek an alternative for Norton as I think it is a terrible product). Also can you add some more screen shots of the Internet Connection Sharing properties that should appear in the Advanced tab too.

k.chen

Post by k.chen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:54 am

Thank you for the explanation.

I uninstalled Norton and tried the suggested settings on the DSi - same error message.

I have uploaded more screenshots to the same album. I tried to make it as clear as possible, but apologies for the different language - I could not change my system into English as there is no English version of Windows Language Interface pack.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:57 am

I'm out of ideas then. But one last question: Is there a special setting on the DSi to set up a wireless connection to the Wi-Fi USB Connector. Because you have it set up as an "access point" which is quite different. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... usbInstall, Step 2, shows when setting up a Nintendo Wii you choose a Wireless connection > Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, not a "Search for an Access Point" connector

k.chen

Post by k.chen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:57 pm

There is a button on the DSi for Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, pretty much the same setup procedure as Wii, except it's under Internet, not Connection. The buttons under Connection are Search for Access Point, AOSS, or Manual Setup. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... otspot.jsp

What we've been doing is Manual Setup, because that was what the Nintendo Australia people told me to try. Anyway, I'll contact them again, if there's still no luck ...might have to ask Nintendo America.

Thanks, and have a good Easter.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:55 pm

What does the "Nintendo WI-Fi USB Connector" screen look like though (i.e. the button under this screenshot here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... ernet2.png)? Because I didn't think the USB connector had an SSID associated with it. The impression I got from Step 2 of http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... usbInstall was that you select the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector on the DSi, then go to your PC that is sharing the USB Connector and you should get a popup from the system tray software saying "device is trying to connect". You then grant that device permission and the response is sent back to the DSi saying "connected".

The Nintendo Australia support people probably think you have a wireless router (which broadcasts an SSID). An Unwired modem is not a wireless router and is quite different to set up; you are completely reliant on the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector software (which installs on you PC and uses Internet Connection Sharing technology) and stays resident in your system tray monitoring for wireless connections.

k.chen

Post by k.chen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:11 am

The screens after "Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector" are instructions http://picasaweb.google.com/mixmixoh/DS ... 7422443538. After touching Next, the DSi will detect the device - granting permission in the system tray software (step two) is only needed for the first time. After that is a popup on the DSi screen: "Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector setup is complete. Beginning connection test...OK".

I didn't know how to explain what my modem/connection type was (it's called a "wireless" plan, but not the same in everyone's definition?), I described it and they assumed it's via satellite/like mobile phone, so I think that's correct from my understanding of it ?. This is quite an unusual problem for them too so their guess was it could be the modem /service provider blocking the DSi Shop, hence the idea of using wireless router set up with the USB Connector.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

k.chen wrote:I didn't know how to explain what my modem/connection type was (it's called a "wireless" plan, but not the same in everyone's definition?)
Call it a cable modem. Even though it is "wireless", it is not any type of wireless that the Nintendo DSi can detect or utilise. Therefore just assume that it is a cable modem plugged into your PC, providing only your PC with internet access. This is probably the best way to describe it for Nintendo support and see what they say.

You are getting a successful connection test from the DSi, but no internet / shop access. This won't be the modem blocking anything because the Unwired modems aren't that smart. It could be the Internet Connection Sharing / PC firewall / Norton blocking it, but you appear to have turned off and uninstalled all of those. Perhaps you can try the USB connector on another person's computer (it shouldn't matter whether they have ADSL1, ADSL2+, unwired or cable)?

k.chen

Post by k.chen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm

OK, I asked a friend to try it on his computer, he's using iiNet ADSL2+ and the USB Wi-Fi connector. No problem for him at all.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm wondering with the type of plan I'm using, is it suitable to buy a wireless router? thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:12 pm

k.chen wrote:Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm wondering with the type of plan I'm using, is it suitable to buy a wireless router? thanks.
Yes, it is suitable. See http://www.unwired.com.au/get/network_laptop_how.php for instructions. Once that is configured, you can simply use the SSID of the wireless router to connect the DSi without requiring the USB Wi-Fi Connector

I'd like to elaborate a little bit (this is not a stupid question at all) because only wireless routers will work. i.e. a wireless modem/router probably won't work. The issue is that the Unwired modem needs a device to do the login / authentication. Currently your PC does this, but you want the wireless router to do it, so you need a device which has a WAN uplink port (the Netgear WGR614 specified on the unwired.com.au instructions has this ability). If you like you can read http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 91807.html for some further discussions. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 8#r8455248 in particular has some useful instructions

amilg517

Post by amilg517 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:06 am

I've been reading a lot of problem accessing the nintendo DSi shop. At first I'm discouraged to get a Nintendo wi-fi usb connector. Then I was confused of different reviews and first hand bad experiences about setting up the internet connection of DSi. This afternoon it happened that I pass in Kmart and I saw the "infamous" Nintendo usb connector. when I look at the price which is $49.95 I grabbed one. I thought to myself this is it. I am another victim. When I started to install everything is going smoothly. I followed the instruction carefully and YES when I started the connection everything is fine. It took about 7 minutes updating the DSi. I had 1000 points to get some games in the shop. I tried surfing the web and its really good. I was able to check the facebook and other websites. I am using Three Wireless broadband connection. I have anti-virus and didn't change the settings. I didn't even restarted the computer after the installation. I think im one of the lucky DSi users. :lol: