Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
eagle9

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by eagle9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm

I honestly cant see why it has to be changed it works well at the moment It may or may not clog the system up with the new times but I believe if it is working dont fix it.
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:56 pm

A change to 2am to 2pm is fine for me
Any 12 hours of off-peak is fine with me
It's all upside!

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes all for it :D

rabs210

Post by rabs210 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:03 pm

I vote NO.

We already use up all of our peak usage each month. This would make things worse for us.

dragonfly

Post by dragonfly » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 pm

woofermew wrote:I vote against. Please do not shift the offpeak times. Most people are at work during the day time and giving us an extra 2hours during business hours doesnt really do much.

leaving it at midnight caters for students who stay up late and are active during those times and other people who generally stay up late.
I vote against too.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 pm

No!!

DO NOT CHANGE IT.

This is a bad idea.

Everyone here should consider the consequence of this action before just saying it is fine.

I usually wait till 12 midnight before starting any downloads and leave it on for the night.
If they change it to 2am, it would mean that we would need to stay up to 2am before we can start any downloads.

I know there is a timers or such, but not everyone is as tech savy, or we don't always determine what we want to download etc.

One of the reason why TPG off peak is crap is cos they start their offpeak at 2am -9am.
This is one of the reason why I like Exetel, cos they give you a good early offpeak and long offpeak 12hours.

Don't change if it isn't broken.
The way it is now, works fine.
If anything make it earlier like 11pm etc.

Exetel - Do not change the offpeak!
This is a bad idea.

If you do decide to change it though, you should give us an option to stay on the current offpeak or change it to 2am.
Don't force us to go 2am.

Changing the offpeak to 2am is a BAD IDEA!

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Well, I *HATE* the idea.

As it is, I already have to wait until midnight to start the majority of downloads. If off-peak moves forward two hours, I'll have to be awake even longer - to be sure my downloads are running before I can go to sleep. (And yes, I know I can automate some things. But sometimes that's not practical and it doesn't always work. Pop ups appear that need clicking OK, etc.) If the period is shifted forwarded two hours, I will have to rely on automation software. And if for some reason, your downloads don't automatically start when they are supposed to, you then "miss out" on many hours of off-peak downloading (until you wake up the next morning and realise).

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the current peak/off-peak periods reflect the real usage periods. I believe the real peak customer usage would be from 10am to around midday, and again from 2:30pm to ~8-10pm. I understand this might not CURRENTLY be the case - but that is being artificially created because of the current time slots in place, and the large off-peak quota. I bet this will be confirmed if times are shifted two hours.

I actually think BOTH the current and proposed changes are a pain in the neck. As mentioned above, it means some of us have to babysit the computer to start downloads at midnight. At the same time, those people trying to browse the web/do business/online banking - in the morning before/at work - are doing so when others are also still maxing out the network with p2p video downloads.

I suggest another possibility. I believe Peak should be set at about 10:00am to 10:00pm, and Off-Peak should be about 10:00pm to 10:00am.
Last edited by frugalest on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gugugy

Post by gugugy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm

NO GOOD, NO GOOD, NO GOOD~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For people who are working, and need to get up early in the morning, they need to go to bed relatively earlier. 12am, I still can firstly add my download tasks, then go to bed. But if change to 2am, I cannot wait till that late. And in the morning, it's just so rush and I don't have time to log on to my computer and do the download thing.

So it's not a good idea. For people who don't have such getting up early problem, it's no difference to them. Coz they still can download at night, after 12am.

SO, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE TIME. IT'S NOT QUITE CONVENIENT FOR THE WORK FORCE PEOPLE.

thank you.

gugugy

Post by gugugy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

gillynco

Post by gillynco » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi,

I welcome the change as it will have no effect on my service. Exetel provide a great service now and if this is going to help keep the service running as it does I'm all for it.

Thanks EXETEL

errollarkan

Post by errollarkan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Changing from 12 MIdnight as Off Peak would definitely NOT suit me.

The current setup suits me just as it is

Thanks

or NO NO NO NO NO

errollarkan

Post by errollarkan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 pm

DOUBLE NO

NOT GOOD FOR ME AT ALL

boyastro

Post by boyastro » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Sounds good to me, as I often notice the midnight slowdown but am very rarely still online by 2am...

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 pm

James wrote:Download scheduler? There are many free ones.
Yes there are - but I've never seen one that can do much more than start a program. If you already have a program running (like emule/bittorent) but you have most of your downloads paused for peak time - but want to start those downloads again at 2am... In other words, it requires a right-click and selecting an option in a context menu. I've never seen automation software that can do this (and actually work!).

You can also forget clicking any pop up windows, etc. until you wake up 8 hours later.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

-Download schedules don't always work.
-Not all programs have download schedule in it.
-And not everything can be download schedule especially if it is from websites etc that require click.
Or entering codes on a website before downloading etc.
-Don't force us to stay up 2am to start our downloads.
-Also starting at 2am off peak means you must keep your computer on for 2 hours idling doing nothing,wasting electricity,
also wearing down your computer parts like hdd etc.
-People who aren't as tech savy or for whatever reason can't schedule their downloads will be force to start downloading at 12am which means it eats in their peak time.
Which means people will be using their peak time more quicker than normal

Think ppl before saying it is fine!

BAD idea.
Don't change it. :x
Don't force us to stay up 2am to start our downloads like TPG. etc.
-If anything make it earlier and longer like 14 hours etc.
Last edited by tyler.durden on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.