Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:26 am

We have received a number of suggestions that we should offer discounts for pensioners via the suggestion box recently.

Our reasons for not doing this in the past have been that we have almost no profit in our broadband offerings as they stand to make any discount.

However, if there was a demand we could constuct some broadband plans at our cost as a minor contribution to the possibly harder times that may happen in the not too distant future.

We would welcome any suggestions on:

1) What is a 'pensioner' and how can this be qualified on an on line order form?

2) What 'plan profile(s)' would be applicable.

For instance I would think there would be no need for much download allowance and no 'off peak' allowance at all.

I would think that someone wanting to save money on their broadband expenditure would already have a modem.

I would think there would be no need for VoIP or SMS inclusions.

However we may be quite wrong and would welcome suggestions - especially from 'pensioners'.

jcd

Re: Pensioner Broadband Plans?

Post by jcd » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 am

Awhile ago I got my parents (pensioners) to change from dial-up costing them about $18-$20 a month (including phone calls) to the newly introduced Exetel HSPA plan (C1) and they are loving it. They are only light users (a bit of email to the kids and grandkids and a bit of web surfing mainly for medical info), so they are saving about $10 a month. The speed is much better than dial-up with the only down side being the up front cost of the usb stick modem (~$195). Once it is set up, its pretty easy to use and they've had no problems at all.
I looked around at most of the Broadband suppliers for the best option for them and found this setup to be the best for their light use pattern and it was much cheaper than anything else (e.g. ADSL1 seemed to have a minimum cost of about $30 per month plus modem while ADSL2 was a bit cheaper but they didn't want to shift from Telstra for the phone line.). So for light use (up to 1GB per month) I can highly recommend the Exetel HSPA service.

Bye Jeff.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am

What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?

sandik17

Post by sandik17 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:35 am

I cannot see the HOCA plans on the website anyway? Where are they located.

I think the discount should apply to 'aged pensioners'. There is a HUGE market here for pensioners....like my parents, and my in-laws to have about 1GB download plan a month no bells or whistles....just ADSL1 at a reasonable cost, so they can do the occasional skype call, see photos of the grandies, and send emails, and book flights.

There are SO many pensioners out there still putting up with dial-up because they are too reluctant to have to pay more each month. I believe this is a big opportunity for Exetel.

ps I am trying to talk my parents round to adsl, can someone please show me where the hoca plans are. We can't get adsl2 yet in our area. Thanks

kaotickelly

Post by kaotickelly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am

I'm actually using the lowest of the ADSL2 plans for my parents at the moment, under my name.

6GB is more than enough for them, and the offline allowance is virtually useless (until I max out my own off line allowance :P).
I don't know what the cost of providing say 3 gb peak/off peak combined is, but I think $20 would be a good price for it. And no sms/features necessary.

I guess to qualify for a pension account you would need to provide the centrelink age pension number and have the account opened under the same name.

peber

Post by peber » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We have received a number of suggestions that we should offer discounts for pensioners via the suggestion box recently.

Our reasons for not doing this in the past have been that we have almost no profit in our broadband offerings as they stand to make any discount.

However, if there was a demand we could constuct some broadband plans at our cost as a minor contribution to the possibly harder times that may happen in the not too distant future.

We would welcome any suggestions on:

1) What is a 'pensioner' and how can this be qualified on an on line order form?

2) What 'plan profile(s)' would be applicable.

For instance I would think there would be no need for much download allowance and no 'off peak' allowance at all.

I would think that someone wanting to save money on their broadband expenditure would already have a modem.

I would think there would be no need for VoIP or SMS inclusions.

However we may be quite wrong and would welcome suggestions - especially from 'pensioners'.
I signed my parents up with Exetel because in my opinion, the rates were already very good.
I'm sure they would be happy to get a pensioner discount, but they already feel they are getting a good deal. Combined with VOIP they are very happy with what they now save on their 'communcations' costs.

If a pensioner 'discount' rate was introduced, do you think it would entice more people over to Exetel? A lot of non-tech savvy people will just bundle their internet and phone with Telstra/Optus because thats all they have ever understood.
Those who are tech savvy are much more likely to shop around and in that case they'll have picked one of the more reasonably priced ISPs anyway.

I think its a good idea, it might bring in a few more customers and make some existing customers even happier, but the amount of effort involved setting it up and trying to validate people when they sign up may not be worth it?
My parents would still want to use the VOIP and SMS features in such a plan.

CyclingJase

Post by CyclingJase » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 am

You asked what a pensioner is. Let me tell you!

They are not merely old age silver topped fuddy duddies talking about the war and how disrespectful the youth are today. I became a pensioner at age 18!

A pensioner is anyone who receives an old age or disability pension. So it's quite feasible there are people who know their way around computers like any computer techo, yet can not gain employment (like me) and sit on the internet the whole time (unlike me!). So let's have no misconceptions of what a penioner is! These can include anyone from grand parents wanting to email their grand kids, to 20 something aged people who've yet to work out downloading files is optional. (I'm being facetious).

Exetel should also consider its place in the market. I don't know of ISP who offers discounts to pensioners - not even BigPlop (uh hum, I mean BigPond). And even with the pension discount I was getting from Telstra, Exetel's minimum cost was cheaper! (excluded Telstra's included calls).

Also bear in mind you're now offering 100 national voip calls included in your plans. That's another big saving! And as soon as it's possible to port my home number to a voip service, I'll be opting for naked DSL, yet another saving!

About the only place where I'd like to see a discount for pensioners is on the line rental. I'm still perplexed at how a land line can cost more to have than a mobile phone!

jnmrawson

Post by jnmrawson » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:11 am

I am responding as a pensioner to the Pensioner Broadband Plan. Anything that can be done to reduce costs for us is deeply appreciated. We live from week to week without taking part in any of the social activities that abound, simply because we cannot afford it.
My wife and I use VoIP and are delighted with this. The cost of calls is great and we have managed to save as a result. Sometimes the quality of the call is not good, with break-up of voice, and if anything can be done to rectify this, how good would that be.
We do not usually utilise our full down-load, and if some reduction is this, without loss of speed, would be acceptable for us.
Thanks for considering this proposal
jnmrawson

DD32

Post by DD32 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am

From what i've seen, Quite a lot of "Pensioners" are actually -wanting- to try new technology, Voip is a great benefit to them (Assuming the plan speed is fast enough) - A lot of their family will live interstate, and they like to learn new things..

however, You'd have to ask which group of pensioners you're aiming for, Is it all pensioners? Aged pensioners? What about those who are carers for disabled kids, etc. How about non-working aged pensioners? (But some work because they have no other way of surviving week to week..).

Aged pensioners (on centerlink) also get a Internet allowance IIRC, Its not exactly huge though.. $30/quater i think (And that includes the phone allowance)

My suggestion would be include SMS/Voip, but only half the number as the rest of the plans - They may never even use it, but so what? no loss!. If they do use it, and like it, (and i'm thinking of the aged pensioners here) then their children (Who i'm thinking would be in their 40's) are more likely to give voip a try, Right now, I see more young people, and every day older people interested in voip, but not many in the middle :)

In the end, you might also be better off only offering it on ADSL2+ locations, simply because of the cheaper bandwidth.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 am

CyclingJase wrote:
A pensioner is anyone who receives an old age or disability pension.
Absolutely agree, two situations that don't change unfortunately, things like unemployment do though so shouldn't qualify

Semp

Post by Semp » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 am

James wrote:What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?
I'm a bit perplexed by James (Exetel Staff) response to this question. "What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people?" - well depending on the pensioner, disability for example, there might be a lot. "Why should they get cheaper internet" - I don't think there are any pensioners jumping up and down demanding anything. You should really choose your words more wisely James. As a disability support pensioner, I'm fairly insulted. Whats the point of sending out an email saying "Let's discuss this" if this is going to be the response from an Exetel Staff member.

Back to the issue at hand:

1. Just because someone is a pensioner doesn't mean they are old or don't like to download
2. I know disability support pensioners receive a telecommunications help once a year (it's not much, I can't even remember the exact figure - definitely less than $100).
3. For me personally, as I'm a high volume internet user, offering low download plans would be of little to no added benefit. That said, I can imagine it would be a big help to some.
4. I'm of the opinion that Exetel should focus on continuing to enable peoples experience of technology - like you do with all your new products and services - rather than offerring neutered services. Your prices are already among the best (if not the best) - why not offer "No administration fee" for pensioners ($3.00 credit card charge) or something like that RATHER THAN reducing services.

That's my thoughts.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 am

Semp wrote:
James wrote:What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people? Why should they get cheaper internet, and don't our PAYU ADSL1/ADSL2+ and soon to be released HSPA plans cater for minimal usage?
I'm a bit perplexed by James (Exetel Staff) response to this question. "What makes pensioners any different from any other group of people?" - well depending on the pensioner, disability for example, there might be a lot. "Why should they get cheaper internet" - I don't think there are any pensioners jumping up and down demanding anything. You should really choose your words more wisely James. As a disability support pensioner, I'm fairly insulted. Whats the point of sending out an email saying "Let's discuss this" if this is going to be the response from an Exetel Staff member.

Back to the issue at hand:

1. Just because someone is a pensioner doesn't mean they are old or don't like to download
2. I know disability support pensioners receive a telecommunications help once a year (it's not much, I can't even remember the exact figure - definitely less than $100).
3. For me personally, as I'm a high volume internet user, offering low download plans would be of little to no added benefit. That said, I can imagine it would be a big help to some.
4. I'm of the opinion that Exetel should focus on continuing to enable peoples experience of technology - like you do with all your new products and services - rather than offerring neutered services. Your prices are already among the best (if not the best) - why not offer "No administration fee" for pensioners ($3.00 credit card charge) or something like that RATHER THAN reducing services.

That's my thoughts.
They are my personnel thoughts on the issue, not Exetel's.

The plans are already the best value in Australia, and are now even more affordable, thanks to Krudds $900.00, which adds up to ADSL2+ inc line rental for 10 months.

portfan

Post by portfan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 am

I actually think all isps should offer pensioner internet plans, most isps these days even adsl1 offer and charge way too much

As for download limits just have it set to one limit total covering all instead of splitting peak/offpeak , my dad who is a pensioner won't go adsl because he can't afford it. I've been trying to talk him into it for a few years now.

As for limits I say most pensioners would be happy for a 5 or 10 gig limit per month

I would think there would be no need for VoIP or SMS inclusions. actually the voip side of it they would use because its so much cheaper than what telstra can offer overall.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

Awesome!

Keep the voip and for the application maybe a pensior card number or a photocopy/fax copy of their card?

R

hbfix2

Post by hbfix2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:22 am

Even though it is derided as 'not real broadband' and the like, the recently removed 256/64 plans were cheap enough for low income earners, so many of whom are pensioners. Many if not most isp's still offer this speed, maybe a basic 256/64 plan or plans should be re-considered?

Not all pensioners are aged pensioners either. A low cost basic performance plan is enormously better than any dialup. I know that voip is poor at this speed, but pensioners who try it and find that it can be cheaper than pstn may even realise that a 512/128 plan and voip can be much cheaper than 256 and pstn.

Finally the hspa C1 can be amazingly cheap. I have one customer who has sub $10 monthly bills at the moment, and they are delighted, to say the least.

So yes, I think that pensioner plans are a good idea. I also think that the HSPA C1 plan is already perfect where wireless signal is available, but it cannot compare with the reach of adsl 1 and a cheap 256/64 plan. I know that 256/64 is "on the nose" with management, but I suggest that it does deserve another look in this case.