P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:23 pm

When posting that you are experiencing "slow speeds between 8am and 12 noon" please be aware that Exetel constrains the use of P2P during those hours every day very severely to ameliorate the affect on people who wish to use the service for time critical applications.

Posting that your P2P is slow at these tmes will not get a response because it will always be slow.

If you use P2P then please schedule your downloads to start after 2 am and to finish before 8.00 am.

CrackerJak1

Re: P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Post by CrackerJak1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:50 pm

So 'acceptable' off peak p2p use is only 6 hours long now (2am-8am)?

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:50 am

My p2p speeds are really slow from 2am onwards. I cant seem to utilise my off-peak allowance even though I have plenty queued up. At the moment it wont download at more than 15 kBps. Well its actually at 3kBps at 2:50pm. Works fine during peak.

beatmag

Post by beatmag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Magnus wrote:My p2p speeds are really slow from 2am onwards. I cant seem to utilise my off-peak allowance even though I have plenty queued up. At the moment it wont download at more than 15 kBps. Well its actually at 3kBps at 2:50pm. Works fine during peak.
I have the same thing, my p2p wont get above 30kb/s. During offpeak. No matter what time.
I find that, either something is not right, or exetel is trying to make a statement.

I can only download 1gb during offpeak, yep and that equates to 30kb/s averaged out.

not happy.

is something wrong????

NoService

Post by NoService » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:26 pm

is something wrong????

you betchya

i am experiencing the same dilemma torrents are useless between 2am and 12pm rumbling along at a blistering 25kbs but as soon as 12.01pm rolls around my download speed shoots up to 160kbs and stays there.

are exetel sure they havent hobbled torrents all offpeak instead of 8-12? as that would make the off peak quota next to useless for me, who wants to sit up all night downloading via http/ftp. i load my torrents up, set it to kick off at 2am (yes before i even knew of the 12am crunch) and hit the hay, when i wake up most if not all would be completed.

now i am lucky to have 1 download completed.................not good!

if it was written on the sign up page that offpeak download speeds are extremely cut i bet not many would hit the continue button

8-12 is fair enough but i am getting this all off peak

NS

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:17 pm

NoService wrote:is something wrong????

you betchya

i am experiencing the same dilemma torrents are useless between 2am and 12pm rumbling along at a blistering 25kbs but as soon as 12.01pm rolls around my download speed shoots up to 160kbs and stays there.

are exetel sure they havent hobbled torrents all offpeak instead of 8-12? as that would make the off peak quota next to useless for me, who wants to sit up all night downloading via http/ftp. i load my torrents up, set it to kick off at 2am (yes before i even knew of the 12am crunch) and hit the hay, when i wake up most if not all would be completed.

now i am lucky to have 1 download completed.................not good!

if it was written on the sign up page that offpeak download speeds are extremely cut i bet not many would hit the continue button

8-12 is fair enough but i am getting this all off peak

NS

It is written in the terms and conditions which are part of the sign up form.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

I don't think any ISP anywhere offers download speeds as measured by the byte output of a P2P server or browser. ADSL1 speeds are the settings on a Telstra DSLAM. "Faster" speeds are subject to line attenuation.
As to NNTP, your newsgroup downloads may be restricted by carriers in other countries. Sometimes it's only simply port prioritising, which you can get round by changing ports. Most usenet servers have a choice. P2P can often be markedly improved by changing your application or better configuring it - my personal favourites are Deluge and rtorrent - but the packets will still be seen and prioritised, so you would be best off over time using another method where possible.

NoService

Post by NoService » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 pm

pretty good at skirting around the issue here defenders of exetel

the issue at hand is download speed or for the better part the lack thereof throughout the ENTIRE off peak period not just the 8am to 12noon section of it.

we are quite within our rights to demand the line speed we pay for, not some of it some of the time.

as i said before if it was on the sign up page that p2p downloaders will have no speed to access their quota's no one would continue with the process here it is buried in the T&C,s very obscurely, i had to "look" for it not read it in bold.

ive been with exetel since late 06/07 and have been so happy ive churned many people over here but never have i seen it as bad as it is now, never did i have linespeed issues until the 2am change in off peak. there has been NO CHANGE in my system or my modem in that time, the only change is terrible offpeak speeds, peak are fine!

now to my way of reckoning either do away with off peak and give us a big peak allowance so downloads would be spread over 24hrs & not the short window we currently now have or just change the off peak again from 2am back to 12 and finish at 8 or 9am or have different billing cycles would even help fix the issues.

come on guys ive referred most of my family to exetel and now im looking like an idiot, we all cant have line issues where offpeak sucks and peaks fine now can we?

fix the fiasco or amend the amount we have to pay each month because at present we are not getting bang for our buck , im still happy here but that's starting to wane on mornings when i wake up to see how much I DIDNT DOWNLOAD last night.

NS

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Fraudulant P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am

maddanno wrote:Not when I read and completed the sign up form they weren't.
The clause below has been present in the terms and conditions ever since I can remember:
17.3 The Customer acknowledges and agrees that exclusive use of internet peer-to-peer file exchanges may cause network congestion and performance deterioration. Therefore Exetel has a right to from time to time and at any time limit the Customer's internet bandwidth available for peer-to-peer file exchanges if Exetel (at its sole discretion) decides that not to do so will be detrimental to the overall efficiency of the Exetel network or a supplier's network used to provide the Service.
maddanno wrote:I am currently considering the best course of action to prove that to Exetel via legal channels. Unless of course the situation of my current pathetic offpeak (and its not just P2P but NTTP and others) speed dramatically improves.
I wouldn't advise this course of action because:
1. I think it is futile for a number of reasons: residential services have no service level agreement, and Exetel only 'advertise' that bandwidth during peak times is provisioned to aim for low or zero congestion. The service provided during off-peak times 'advertises' high download quotas and makes no guarantees or statements about congestion or speeds
2. There is a specific clause allowing Exetel to terminate your service at their discretion (subject to some conditions). Pursuing legal action may result in cancellation of your service: given the complaints you are raising it would seem rational that you want to leave Exetel, right?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:13 am

NoService wrote:the issue at hand is download speed or for the better part the lack thereof throughout the ENTIRE off peak period not just the 8am to 12noon section of it.

we are quite within our rights to demand the line speed we pay for, not some of it some of the time.
Read my comment one post above about the guarantees and statements present in residential services, especially in off-peak times.
NoService wrote:as i said before if it was on the sign up page that p2p downloaders will have no speed to access their quota's no one would continue with the process here it is buried in the T&C,s very obscurely, i had to "look" for it not read it in bold.
The terms and conditions ARE on the sign-up page.
NoService wrote:now to my way of reckoning either do away with off peak and give us a big peak allowance so downloads would be spread over 24hrs & not the short window we currently now have or just change the off peak again from 2am back to 12 and finish at 8 or 9am or have different billing cycles would even help fix the issues.
Firstly, doing away with off-peak will worsen the issue of congestion. The idea of off-peak is to move heavy downloaders into overnight time intervals. Otherwise there would be issues of congestion 24 hours a day. Similarly, changing everyone back to midnight off-peak starts will simply revert to what was happening a few months ago: heavily congested internet between midnight and 2am. Finishing at 8-9am will help and in fact the new ADSL2+ plans do exactly this. Different billing cycles may also help and has been flagged for potential implementation.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:23 am

maddanno wrote:Congrats Dazzled you have passed the Exetel Spin Doctors course. Now all you need is a middle eastern accent and you will qualify for a job on the Exetel helpdesk.

Its amazing then how the "line attenuation" Fixes itself miraculously at 12:01pm as does the "NTTP restriction". I know how to configure a Torrent app, OS and computer very well myself as can be seen by the speeds I can achieve in peak times, but thankyou for you suggestions anyhow.
You are not in contract, feel free to find another provider that can meet your needs.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 am

Maddano, (adopting an accent here), I don't do much P2P, but I am very well set up (rtorrent, for preference, but I have others), try to avoid the busy times, and have never been bothered by slowdowns. On the whole I feel that torrenting has so many problems it's worth avoiding.

I do use usenet a bit (Pan) and found NNTP slowing down markedly a while ago, so I changed ports and all is well. Ports 119, 23, 80, and 443 (encrypted) are available on many servers. Port based bottlenecks are intentionally imposed in some places overseas and most of the big servers are in the US. You could also try switching to European servers if there is one available for you. If Exetel here in Australia prioritises usenet traffic, I haven't noticed any speed detriment, as my multi-threaded connections are close to maxing out, morning or evening. I had hoped the tip about changing ports would help.

ForumAdmin does his own PR, and if you look, you may see I was recently critical.

NoService

Post by NoService » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 am

clause 17 subsection 3

yes as i said i did read it after thoroughly scouring the document to find it!

wouldnt you think something as important as that should be clause 1 section 1 or better still on your website in a flashing gif or something saying "massive off peak quotas you cannot fill - sign up now to get a fraction of your peak speed to download with"

why do you think we all churned in the first place? to give exetel and its shareholders a warm and fuzzy feeling? no its the big carrot dangled that says in BIG LETTERS 54gb OFFPEAK not hobbled/shaped 54gb offpeak

if exetel cannot deliver on its quota change it! but leave our speeds alone, broadband is just that 24/7 not whenever exetel decides. with download speeds resembling dial up there is NO WAY i am getting anywhere near 54gb, id be lucky to break 20gb like last month

give us what we pay for or change the plans accordingly but for gods sake make it sustainable and at a stable useable speed at all times.

like my previous post i am still quite happy here but this just isnt right, the playing field should be levelled , its extemely slanted in exetels favour right now they get our dough then the "right" to tinker with our connection speed when they "see fit" it sounds like china.

NS

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 am

NoService wrote:wouldnt you think something as important as that should be clause 1 section 1 or better still on your website in a flashing gif or something saying "massive off peak quotas you cannot fill - sign up now to get a fraction of your peak speed to download with"
You would help your case if you stop sensationalising. Off-peak quotas CAN be filled and off-peak speeds are actually equal to peak speeds if you avoid P2P and overly congested times (for example, HTTP downloads between 3am to 8am typically run at full speed; they do for me anyway).

P2P de-prioritisation is fairly commonplace in ISPs now and while *you* may think that clause 17.3 is ultra-critical most users don't use P2P at all, so placing it as a flashing animation on the front page is just a ridiculous suggestion.

So stop trolling, read your terms and conditions and apply some common sense: Peak time is for uncongested speeds and you can download whatever you like. Off-peak times are for scheduled downloads and can be more fully utilised if you avoid P2P and commonly congested intervals

NoService

Post by NoService » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:33 pm

if you avoid P2P?

if you avoid the most commonly used of all download applications???? apart from "surfing" what is the internet most commonly used for ? answer = downloading. why do you offer 54gb offpeak? for power surfing....?

saying avoid p2p during congested (insert off peak) is fine if we had bigger peak quotas to play with but without its akin to saying heres your new car sir but remember you can only drive where we say, when we say and how fast we say!

i rest my case so i will cease posting or *trolling* as you put it but id like to think as an exetel customer i can speak my mind here without being *labelled* a troll , a lesser person could be offended.

have a nice day

NS