P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Old, inactive threads
tycannah

Re: P2P Speeds Between 8 am and 12 Noon

Post by tycannah » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 pm

I have to agree with the previous complaints concerning the Peer to Peer low Off Peak speeds and the fact that they run over the complete 10 hours. It seems that since the change to 2.00am starts for Offpeak that the bittorrent speeds provided by Exetel have been in the average of 15Kb/s. Now I know that prior to September Exetel was throttling the normal Off Peak Peer to Peer to 50Kb/s which is one third the normal speed achieved during my peak period but that was a happy compromise that still allowed for plenty of offtake during the Off peak period.
With the current constraints Exetel is basically providing a bittorrent Off-peak allowance of less than 16Gb per month.
I thought that my system may have screwed up so I lodged a helpdesk ticket with Exetel and they basically verifed that they were constraining the bittorrent pipe.

That is fine since its a commercial decision and I am not on any contract, however as a five year customer with Exetel, I have to tell you that despite the very attractive ADSL2 plans now offerred that I would be very hesitant to sign up for 12 months when the likelihood is that I would not have a better bittorrent experience. The September and October constraints will drive me elsewhere and I am likely to chance my contractual arm with a competitor. If I dont see any change before the end of this month then I will have no choice than to say farewell, its been a nice ride.

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:51 am

tycannah wrote:It seems that since the change to 2.00am starts for Offpeak that the bittorrent speeds provided by Exetel have been in the average of 15Kb/s.
With the current constraints Exetel is basically providing a bittorrent Off-peak allowance of less than 16Gb per month.
Myself and many other people manage to utilise all of our quota just fine. If you are getting a constant 15kb/s ALL NIGHT then it is unlikely to be throttling, more so how your client is set up or the seeder/leecher ratio of the p2p software you are using.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:27 am

tycannah wrote:With the current constraints Exetel is basically providing a bittorrent Off-peak allowance of less than 16Gb per month.
See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p258393. Try torrents like these ones and see what speeds you can get as these are known to have very high quality seeders

tycannah

Post by tycannah » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:25 pm

[quote="ryanb] Myself and many other people manage to utilise all of our quota just fine. If you are getting a constant 15kb/s ALL NIGHT then it is unlikely to be throttling, more so how your client is set up or the seeder/leecher ratio of the p2p software you are using.[/quote]

I've been using bittorrent with Exetel for over 5 years, I believe my setup is optimised. It certainly magically flies at maximum speed during the peak period. That must be a coincidence.
Also it is not a constant 15Kb/s its an estimated average since the graph looks like the Himalayas with the top speed that is ever achieved at only 50Kb/s. I do get an almost constant 150Kb/s during peak period for the same torrents.

I know that some people are claiming that they are unaffected in speed during the peak period so I assume its hit and miss depending on the exchange. That does not help me.

I was informed by Exetel yesterday that that I can expect some improvement soon ;
"we are advised by the carrier that capacity upgrades are imminent - we expect within the next week." I did get a nice note from a Mr Steve Waddington to indicate that there is "contention on the backhaul from the exchange to Exetel". I dont know what that means as I am not a technical expert. I did appreciate his prompt response.

I will cross my fingers but seeing is believing. I would rather stay with Exetel if I had some longer term confidence.
I am getting somewhat peeved at my mate laughing at me when I mention that my average Off peak speeds with ADSL 1 of 50Kb/s has been acceptable for bittorrents over the last few years. He is with TPG now and claims lightening speeds with ADSL 2.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

tycannah wrote: I did get a nice note from a Mr Steve Waddington to indicate that there is "contention on the backhaul from the exchange to Exetel". I dont know what that means as I am not a technical expert. I did appreciate his prompt response.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this means that Optus or AAPT or whomever Exetel buys/rents the ADSL port off for you is not providing enough bandwidth for all the Exetel users between your local telephone (and ADSL) exchange and Exetel's Datacentre.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 am

In fact, tycannah, your problem has been looked at by a director of the company and the bloke who manages the network (Mr Waddington). This doesn't happen very often at Telstra, Internode, etc. One reason I recommend Exetel to people

NoService

Post by NoService » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:04 am

well well well

i purposed that my connection speed was messed up and i was only getting a meer trickle of my 1500 connection speed thru the entire off peak period and i was labeled a forum troll and told i was sensationalizing things.

it seems to me there is indeed problems with exetels off peak speeds and i am not alone here , i thought as much after reading numerous posts on other forums from upset exetel customers who are churning away in droves after suffering slow off peak.

time to FIX IT exetel before your customers base falls flat on its a**.

my previous statements stand you should deliver what your offer

NS

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:52 am

NoService wrote: time to FIX IT exetel before your customers base falls flat on its a**.
Actually, if it's a backhaul issue, it's out of Exetel's hands.... It's up to AAPT/Optus etc to fix it.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:10 pm

NoService, you are still trolling:
* It is possible to get good speeds during off-peak, even via P2P (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p258393).
* As has been alluded to, if this is a backhaul issue it is not a fault of Exetel and is not something Exetel can fix
* Customers are not "churning away in droves". In fact, Exetel's customer base has been steadily increasing (I think the statistics from a few months ago were 24 months of continuous and record high growth in customers)

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32 pm

There are certainly issues with the Off Peak period.
Especially on P2P. When I came across not that long ago, P2P seeds were more then double of what I am getting now.
The question is who is at fault?
Telstra?, Optus?, AAPT?, Exetel?
Before I was with Bigpond and speed did not change, no matter what the time. I hope that Customers are aware that Telstra will look after their own Customers, the rest comes 2nd...3rd.
One thing that does disturb me a bit, is when Customers are being called trolls etc.
That doesn't appear to be a very professional attitude for a business.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Alfred, P2P transfer traffic has become so dominant that the internet has capacity issues world-wide. Bigpond isn't entirely free of P2P trouble either. There seems to be a mistaken idea that P2P is an easy anonymous way to get media.

As to trolls, from time to time this forum does see correspondence that might warrant the term, and only a tiny number of posters here represent Exetel. Apart from ForumAdmin, the other admins are not part of Exetel.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Alfred wrote:One thing that does disturb me a bit, is when Customers are being called trolls etc.
Just because somebody is a customer, doesn't mean they are always correct. Exetel officials, volunteer admins and other customers do not have to cater for their whims.

My comment of "trolling" was not directed towards the denial of slow off-peak P2P speeds. It was towards NoService's comments that allege that P2P speeds are "a mere trickle" and that "customers are churning away in droves". By definition, "trolling" refers to posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response. In my opinion, many comments posted on these forums fall into that category and warrant such labelling.

I welcome discussion about P2P speeds, which is why I directed NoService and other readers to my own post that is evidence I was able to obtain 1MB/s speeds via P2P during off-peak. So I will repeat: It is possible to get good P2P speeds, even in off-peak and any readers should try such tests for themselves (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p258393 for torrents and take particular note of http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 04#p258404 too) before making further comments.

And for further comment I suspect that for Bigpond, profit comes first, not the customer per se.

olivehehe03

Post by olivehehe03 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:50 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Just because somebody is a customer, doesn't mean they are always correct. Exetel officials, volunteer admins and other customers do not have to cater for their whims.
Oh my god, I worked in a call center for Bigpond (one of the outsourced ones, not an actual Telstra center) for 13 months and if they put that on their damn IVR that would've made things alot easier. And if my time there has taught me anything, it's that in between all the sales targets and bullshit ideas that we were supposed to try and sell someone something on every call, there's not a whole lot of respect or care for the customer moreso than what we were required to do to keep our job. That, and for the price I pay here, I'd be getting 78Gb less downloads on Bigpond.

/ontopic, what exactly makes up P2P or at least the part that gets slowed? Obviously bitorrent, but the main one I'd be concerned with would be online game servers, L4D, COD4, Playstation Network, which lacking a thorough understanding of networking technology I believe is a peer to peer connection between client and server. Thanks in advance

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:52 am

olivehehe03 wrote:/ontopic, what exactly makes up P2P or at least the part that gets slowed? Obviously bitorrent, but the main one I'd be concerned with would be online game servers, L4D, COD4, Playstation Network, which lacking a thorough understanding of networking technology I believe is a peer to peer connection between client and server. Thanks in advance
P2P = torrents + other file sharing networks like Kazaa, Gnutella, Limewire, etc. Online game servers and PSN traffic operates on similar, non-standard ports to P2P, but each game should have an "exception signature" which, when detected, excludes it from de-prioritisation. If you think gaming traffic is being incorrectly slowed you can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 am

P2P = torrents + other file sharing networks like Kazaa, Gnutella, Limewire, etc. Online game servers and PSN traffic operates on similar, non-standard ports to P2P, but each game should have an "exception signature" which, when detected, excludes it from de-prioritisation. If you think gaming traffic is being incorrectly slowed you can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
You see, this is where I have a bit of a problem.
Are you saying that Gamers and other Users are better then me and others that use P2P?
We all pay the same amount for each plan offered. I don't get it any cheaper because I use P2P and am not a Gamer etc......
P2P is not an outdated form of downloading. As a matter of fact, Linux Distributions absolutely rely on this technique for Users to get their Distro version downloaded.
These files are anything from 600MB ~ 4.3GB for the DVD versions.

Now to bring some realism into this, here are some realistic numbers, using :

1)Following your Link and started downloading Knoppix as a test (as suggested). During peak period the maximum speed reached was: 280Kib/s with 100 Seeders connected.
2) This morning at about 08:45AM same torrent and 107Seeders connected, it reached 107Kib/s. There is nothing too wrong (albeit slow for a 8.19Mbps connection on ADSL1).
But this still is: 107Kib/s = 876.54Kbps = 0.88Mbps during the 08:00AM ~ 12:00 Noon period
Compare this to: 180Kib/s = 1474.56Kbps = 1.47Mbps

Take in the factor that 8Mbps is my theoretical maximum speed on ADLS1 which you will never see and that I am getting quite a good Line speed of a maximum of: 6.39Mbps depending on the day.

So there is a definite loss of bandwidth but it's not as bad as some are here reporting.
The ones that are getting 15k ~ 30k (meaning what?) do have a problem that might be related with their Software/Port forwarding/firewall/Exchange....etc

By the way..I used "Deluge" as the torrent software...just so we compare apples to apples.