South Coast (NSW) Coverage

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
9490terry

South Coast (NSW) Coverage

Post by 9490terry » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm

I have an HSPA service with Exetel and I've tried to use it at my house just north of Mollymook in a known bad reception area for mobile phones. The service connects but is not usable due to dropouts. If I try it at a friend's house just a couple of kilometres away, in a good mobile phone reception area, it works very well.
I see Exetel now supply a reasonably priced Yagi antenna. Is there a good chance this will solve my problem?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: South Coast (NSW) Coverage

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:26 pm

It usually does if you can get an HSPA signal in the first place. Exetel Country Broadband has an agent listed for Ulladulla. He might have useful local experience.

pooch2

Post by pooch2 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Try a wok or a metal mesh frying basket.

A usb extension lead and fix dongle into it and aim for tower.

Tho, maybe the south coast has fixed itself.

Last week, could not connect, but worked yesterday and toady at Conjola park.

9490terry

Post by 9490terry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I bought the Exetel Yagi aerial and have mounted it externally. It makes a marginal improvement but the service is so poor it is unuseable. Downloads are at around 5-6 kbps and signal strength is 0%.
What annoys me is that this is a resold Optus service and the Optus service-checker website still says, for my address, "Congratulations, wireless broadband is available at your address!"

sable

Post by sable » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 am

What is the frequency of the tower you are connecting to?

Does it match the yagi?

9490terry

Post by 9490terry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 pm

The yagi is the Exetel yagi advertised at https://www.exetel.com.au/modemorder/index.php?p=350

I'm not sure what frequency the tower is. I've just rotated the yagi through a full 360 degrees, maybe 10 degrees at a time, observing the signal bars and the speed while doing a broadband speed test. The best result was no signal bars and a download speed of around 6 kbps when the yagi was pointing close to due South, towards Ulladulla.

sable

Post by sable » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 pm

That yagi is 900MHz

You may find your tower is 2100MHz

Which tower do you connect to?

If you do not know the local Optus shop should be able to tell you.

If not PM me your address and I will look it up for you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 am

This map http://www.exetel.com.au/files/hspa_maps.pdf shows the 2100 MHz Wollongong zone extending down the coast road in a narrow band as far as Moruya.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 am

Would it be possible for Exetel to get an external 2100 MHz Antenna or even one that operates on both signals (like the portable PANORAMA TCLIP2 they are selling now)?

There are plenty of places from Wollongong all the way down the coast that are near Optus 2100MHz towers but only get a weak signal due to the terrain. There are a lot of people living in the hills, and on the escarpment that runs all the way down the coast.

I now I can go and buy one of these from places off the web, but if Exetel was to sell a kit like their 900MHz Yagi that comes with the right connector etc. this would be much easier.

I will also put this in the suggestion box.