Price drop on Yagi ... is it correct

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
zforum69

Price drop on Yagi ... is it correct

Post by zforum69 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:01 am

Hi,

Several weeks ago I bought 2 yagis to get better receiotion for my friend and family at $95, from a Country Broadband agent. I was just browsing the Exetel Hardware store and noticed that the cost is now only $45. Is that correct? Due to the Exchange rate perhaps?

Z

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Price drop on Yagi ... is it correct

Post by James » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:09 am

zforum69 wrote:Hi,

Several weeks ago I bought 2 yagis to get better receiotion for my friend and family at $95, from a Country Broadband agent. I was just browsing the Exetel Hardware store and noticed that the cost is now only $45. Is that correct? Due to the Exchange rate perhaps?

Z
It dropped last week, we are trying to increase sales of HSPA.

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:59 am

James wrote:It dropped last week, we are trying to increase sales of HSPA.
We'll that makes this antenna awfully good value (and even before the recent price drop it was already very good value), especially when you compare the price delta with one of thase little laptop ones.

I only stumbled on this by accident, I hope it gets more widely publicised.

Z

tones

Post by tones » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 am

What sort of modem to you need to use this type of antenna?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 am

Most Huawei ones with the antenna slot, but it only boosts the signal in 900mhz zones.

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

James wrote:but it only boosts the signal in 900mhz zones.
Maybe somebody who is more knowlegeable in this area could offer some advice as to where to purchase a suitable 2.1GHz antenna and diplexer. The exetel antenna uses standard FME connectors so I assume it should be possible. @ $45 you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere where you can buy the 13m of cable that is included in the exetel antenna, so adding in a separate 2.1Ghz antenna would likely still be cost effective.. Maybe Exetel could souce one and add it to their hardware store :).

Z
Last edited by zforum69 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:44 am

zforum69, http://rfshop.com.au/Products/Hardware/ ... fault.aspx or perhaps http://www.rfshop.com.au/Blogs/tabid/64 ... fault.aspx.
Go through the blog entries on that site for a large number of ideas and pointers. There are similar places in all states, eg http://www.citytechnology.com.au/microb ... da2f024838.

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for that Dazzled but my comments were not for me but for the wider community (thanks for the links anyway). I live in Canberra so most stuff here is 900Mhz as we don't have too many of those high desnity areas needing 2.1Ghz coverage.

If exetel is able to source what I believe to be the best value 900Mhz yagi antenna around, for the few that need 2.1Ghz, maybe they can use their sources to get a product to allow the cost effective addition of the required antenna. I understand in terms of the market segment that it is 900Mhz coverage areas that typically need the external antenna, but there have been a few forum entries that indicated that there were some in a metro area that needed 2.1Ghz.

Z

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:19 am

zforum69 wrote:Thanks for that Dazzled but my comments were not for me but for the wider community (thanks for the links anyway). I live in Canberra so most stuff here is 900Mhz as we don't have too many of those high desnity areas needing 2.1Ghz coverage.

If exetel is able to source what I believe to be the best value 900Mhz yagi antenna around, for the few that need 2.1Ghz, maybe they can use their sources to get a product to allow the cost effective addition of the required antenna. I understand in terms of the market segment that it is 900Mhz coverage areas that typically need the external antenna, but there have been a few forum entries that indicated that there were some in a metro area that needed 2.1Ghz.

Z
dual band versions are starting to appear so perhaps an option sometime down the track