Would a new modem benefit me?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
vosadrian

Would a new modem benefit me?

Post by vosadrian » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi All,

I have been with Exetel ADSL2 for around 18 months, and have been happy with this service. A brief history of my connection is that I applied initially for ADSL(1) with Telstra about 8-9 years ago, and was knocked back due to distance from the exchange (around 4+km I think). Eventually the rules changes and I was allowed to get it, and I did so with Telstra with a supplied Speedstream 4200 modem. At some point I added a Belkin Wireless router that works with the Speedstream modem. 18 months ago I changed to Exetel ADSL2, and I just changed the login details on the modem and everything worked fine and has for the last 18 months. Recently I got a NAS that I want to FTP into, and I had some problems due to effectively running 2 routers in my setup (modem and wireless seperate items) so UPNP was not working as expected. I bridged the modem and changed the Belkin wireless router to PPPoE, and it is working fine.

But bridging the router got me thinking about optimising my setup. I am using an old ADSL1 modem on ADSL2+, and I am not sure if there would be any benefit in me replacing my modem and wireless router with a later router with support for ADSL2+ and wireless. I am just hoping to get some advice here on whether I will get any benefit in internet performance by performing this upgrade (or open to any other suggestions also).

I have some further data to add:

* On ozspeedtest.com (Exetel Mirror), I get around 270-290 kByte/s. I think around 2.2-2.3Mbps.
* My distance from the exchange is high. I have recollections of 4+km when I was declined ADSL1 almost a decade ago on basis of distance from exchange, but adsl2exchanges.com.au reports 2859m line of sight and estimated cable distance of 3574m.
* From the graphs I see, I should be able to get up to around 4Mbps at about 4km from exchange.
* Have a quality central line filter fitted (can't remember which one, but did the research 18months ago after having noisy phone lines when changing to ADSL2 with the ADSL1 phone point filters I had been using, and the new one got rid of all analogue phone noise and increased the speed quite a bit back then)

So I am not sure if my connection speed is as quick as it should be or not, and if not, would I be likely to improve it by changing to an ADSL2+ modem/router/wireless? I appreicate any advice on my setup and how I can interrogate it further to determine if it is optimised.

Regards,

Adrian

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Would a new modem benefit me?

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm

If your modem is G.DMT only it will limit you to ADSL1's 8k max, but that is more than you can get anyway. Having an ADSL2 modem would be marginal. You have solved the two-router problem, so until one of the devices packs it in, why change? When something eventually goes, get a modern combined modem/router.

It is essential to do the central filter correctly - it is covered by regulations, needs approval, and is supposed to be fitted by a licensed cabler. The most common seen around is a C10 brand, model C10100E. The regulations (with illustrations) can be looked up at http://www.telstra.com.au/smartcommunit ... n_0609.pdf (page 132)

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks Dazzled,

I have the ACS 901E2+ filter. It made a big difference to my setup previously. I remember getting much higher speeds and much better connection quality. I think at the time it was the only one certified for ADSL2+.

So it seems that I am far enough away fromt he exchange that there is little benefit in changing modem. I did do some further research that revealed that my modem (Speedstream 4200) does have ADSL2+ firmware available. I think I will change the firmware and see if that makes any difference even though it probably won't.

Other than that, does it seem that my connection speed is within acceptable range for my distance from the exchange?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Adrian

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:29 pm

I got misled - the ACS 901E2+ ADSL 2+ is an inline filter/splitter, not a central filter, which you will see from the reference above is a very different beast, with a bigger price tag. Obviously you can't wire an inline one wrongly.

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Dazzled wrote:I got misled - the ACS 901E2+ ADSL 2+ is an inline filter/splitter, not a central filter, which you will see from the reference above is a very different beast, with a bigger price tag. Obviously you can't wire an inline one wrongly.
They can be used as a central filter, and that is how mine is configured.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:55 pm

ACS 921E2 and 931E2 are central units. If either of these is correctly fitted you should be ok. Make sure it is mounted to regulations (on wall, visible, near first connection) if Telstra technicians ever come, as these things insert impedance and they will want to see it.

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Dazzled wrote:ACS 921E2 and 931E2 are central units. If either of these is correctly fitted you should be ok. Make sure it is mounted to regulations (on wall, visible, near first connection) if Telstra technicians ever come, as these things insert impedance and they will want to see it.
My mistake... it is 931, and it is as per regulations.

Thanks again.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 pm

I should have added - ex-Telstra Speedstreams are usually VoIP barred, but that can be fixed with new firmware.