No APN?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
CharlB

No APN?

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:13 pm

On Xmas Eve, I tried my new Exetel WM A SIM card in my new iPhone for the first time. Followed the instructions. I can phone out from the phone and people can phone me.

But I have no Internet on the phone. Every time I look at the weather app or a web page in Safari, I get the following error message:

Could not activate cellular data network
You are not subscribed to a cellular data service

It's not the fault of the iPhone. I tried a friend's 3G SIM card in it yesterday and it worked fine. I had Internet.

Exetel told me I had to put a code word into Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network > APN to get Internet. There is no Cellular Data Network option on my phone. I called Apple, and they told me that Optus doesn't provide this option. Instead carrier settings are supposed to be updated automatically when the new iPhone is restored from iTunes with the SIM inside. Here's an Apple support web page that explains it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1970

I have completely restored my iPhone four times and the carrier settings are not being updated. The folder "/Users/[Username]/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support/" is not being created.

I found a post on the Extetel forum which suggests I need to jailbreak my new iPhone to get the Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network > APN option:

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p264637

Jailbreaking would void my warranty. I want to stay legal and above board with my iPhone because I can't afford to replace it without a warranty.

It says in the HSPA faq that the iPhone is supported by Exetel's HSPA plans:

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hs ... bility.php

If jailbreaking is necessary to get Internet connection with Exetel's WM A plan, this is patently untrue. The iPhone is NOT supported. I never would have bought a new iPhone if I knew I had to jailbreak it and lose my warranty in order to use it with Exetel.

So what's the story here? Do I have a bad SIM, which isn't updating the carrier-specific settings on my iPhone correctly? Or have all Exetel WM A buyers jailbroken their iPhones?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

CharlB

Re: No APN?

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:19 pm

By the way, I tried to use the Exetel support ticketing system to report the problem stated above, but the automated system won't let me add an e-mail. I've tried to confirm my e-mail address twice but I haven't received any confirmation e-mail. This means I can't open a helpdesk ticket.

Looks like my SIM isn't the only thing broken about Exetel right now. :-(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm

If you hit a glitch in the ticket system, you can send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au. You will get an automated reply with a ticket number in the title. Keep sending an email reply (ie preserve the ticket number) to keep the issue open.

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Dazzled wrote:If you hit a glitch in the ticket system, you can send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au. You will get an automated reply with a ticket number in the title. Keep sending an email reply (ie preserve the ticket number) to keep the issue open.
Thanks, Dazzled. I'll e-mail them right away.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I got an iphone for xmas, and i'm using the Optus Exetel service, so you need to do this;

1 - Go to Safari on your iphone and type in the following address;

http://www.unlockit.co.nz

2 - Should load up the site, then hit 'continue' then click on 'custom APN'

3 - select 'APN' clear what ever is there and type in 'exetel1' all lower
case and as is shown

4 - leave user/pass BLANK. then click on 'create profile'

5 - click on INSTALL and then wait for popup and select 'INSTALL NOW'

6 - Should say its done. Then disable wireless to ensure you are
authenticating via 3G to check and you are DONE.

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks, James.

Would that void my warranty?

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:41 pm

CharlB wrote:Thanks, James.

Would that void my warranty?
The website notes that its purpose is "Change your APN without breaking your iPhone" so I'm assuming all it is doing is creating a new APN profile on the phone, in that case, no.

and, jailbreaking your iPhone would take more steps than just downloading one file - that would be too easy.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks, James. There's breaking the iPhone and there's voiding the warranty. You don't have to break your phone to void the warranty.

I did some Googling and unlocking does void the warranty on the iPhone. There are ways of hiding an unlocking from Apple, if the iPhone breaks down but is still functional enough to be restored. But it's all a bit dodgy and you've got to hope Apple doesn't notice. The warranty only covers damage from software provided by Apple. I don't think Apple owns that unlocking site.

I bought an iPhone from the Apple Online store specifically because it was activated and not locked to any network. I didn't want to worry each time the firmware updated that I was going to end up with an expensive brick because I'd fiddled with the software. I'm rather disturbed that Exetel makes no mention in the FAQ of requiring a warranty-voiding practice for it's mobile plans to work. :-(

Or could there be just something wrong with my SIM?

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Possible relevant part of the warranty voided by unlocking:

This warranty does not apply: ... (g) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;

The warranty is here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/ ... rranty.pdf

Looks like it goes against the license as well:

(c) Except as and only to the extent permitted by applicable law, or by licensing terms governing use of open-sourced components included with the iPhone Software, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the iPhone Software, iPhone Software Updates, or any part thereof. Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of Apple and its licensors of the iPhone Software and iPhone Software Updates. If you breach this restriction, you may be subject to prosecution and damages.

The license is here:

http://www.apple.com/legal/iphone/us/terms/sla.html

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:26 pm

CharlB wrote:Thanks, James. There's breaking the iPhone and there's voiding the warranty. You don't have to break your phone to void the warranty.

I did some Googling and unlocking does void the warranty on the iPhone. There are ways of hiding an unlocking from Apple, if the iPhone breaks down but is still functional enough to be restored. But it's all a bit dodgy and you've got to hope Apple doesn't notice. The warranty only covers damage from software provided by Apple. I don't think Apple owns that unlocking site.

I bought an iPhone from the Apple Online store specifically because it was activated and not locked to any network. I didn't want to worry each time the firmware updated that I was going to end up with an expensive brick because I'd fiddled with the software. I'm rather disturbed that Exetel makes no mention in the FAQ of requiring a warranty-voiding practice for it's mobile plans to work. :-(

Or could there be just something wrong with my SIM?
It's not an unlocking site, it just changes the APN as the inbuilt software in the unlocked Iphone I got given for xmas doesn't allow you to change it.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:23 pm

CharlB wrote: Looks like it goes against the license as well:
this does not break any license agreements with the phone, all you are doing is setting a custom APN, you can download the iPhone configuration utility from Apple's website and do it yourself if you prefer, you will only be doing what the unlockit site does though and it's a whole lot more mucking around

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm

It was worth a bit of extra mucking around to get my iPhone working and make sure the warranty wasn't voided.

Here's how I did it (for the future reference of iPhone owners).

I used iPhone Configuration Utility:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Made by Apple so it's warranty-safe. ;-)

Install it, and select configuration profiles from the left. A new entry will open.

Select General and fill in something random (your name?) into Identifier.

Select Wi-Fi and put something random (I put a space) into Service Set Identifier (SSID).

Select Advanced and put exetel1 into Access Point Name (APN).

Now click on Share and e-mail the configuration file to yourself. Find yourself a Wi-Fi spot (McDonalds?) and download the e-mail onto your iPhone, then click on the attachment.

Click through and accept everything, don't enter a password if it asks for one, and then turn off Wi-Fi on your iPhone and see if you can connect to the Internet using 3G. It should work now. :-)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 am

CharlB wrote:It was worth a bit of extra mucking around to get my iPhone working and make sure the warranty wasn't voided.
Changing the APN via the unlockit site won't affect your warranty, it is just an online version that does exactly what you just did and installs a custom profile, can be handy if you travel and need to edit the APN on the go, thanks for posting the details about your experience with the iPhone configuration utility though as it may be helpful for others that come looking for the information in the future :)

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:03 pm

I've just activiated my new HSPA WM-A sim and can make and receive calls ok.

However, I got the same "could not activate data network" error on my iphone everytime I tried to use Safari. Restarted phone, tried 2g, tried 3g, etc. It seems my sim did not have the exetel1 apn set?

I plugged it into itunes but made no difference. Found this thread and used that http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ site to change the APN to exetel1. Now it works.

Sorry Exetel, I seem to be a whinger today given my earlier posts about my new voip account. But this is just crazy stuff.